Freedom of the Seas - $FINAL BETS$ - Part II

What do you think is the BIG TOP SECRET?  

296 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think is the BIG TOP SECRET?

• Bowling Alley
    • New Alternate Dining Restaurant (Seafood,French, etc)
    • New comfy bedding
    • Premium/Enhanced Entertainment/shows (a la Cirque de...)
    • Theme parties/events (Toga, Mystery)
    • Movies under the stars (the Princess equivalent)
    • Enhanced Promenade - More shops, bars, etc.
    • New,out this world menu! Perhaps a Celebrity Chef?
    • Enhanced Spa & Salon offerings
    • Other - (Name your own)

In March '04 on Radiance we were at the repeat cruisers party and the Captain announced.."in 2006 RCL will outdo all others by having the biggest ship..blah, blah, blah that will have a wave pool where you can actually surf with a full size surf board."

When Freedom of the Seas was announced my husband and I wondered, "is that the ship that's going to have the wave pool??"

Never gave it much thought until I saw this thread...

In March '04 on Radiance we were at the repeat cruisers party and the Captain announced.."in 2006 RCL will outdo all others by having the biggest ship..blah, blah, blah that will have a wave pool where you can actually surf with a full size surf board."

When Freedom of the Seas was announced my husband and I wondered, "is that the ship that's going to have the wave pool??"

Never gave it much thought until I saw this thread...

And since Freedom was ordered in Sept. '03, that would make a lot of sense. So a wave pool it is!

According to Seatrade Insider News, it was announced at the launching Friday that in addition to all the previously announced features, Freedom of the Seas will have a bookstore along the main promenade and a recording studio near the ice rink. More announcements will be made at the press conference on August 31st.

According to Seatrade Insider News, it was announced at the launching Friday that in addition to all the previously announced features, Freedom of the Seas will have a bookstore along the main promenade and a recording studio near the ice rink. More announcements will be made at the press conference on August 31st.

Yes, I saw that as well.

Cedar Point is selling DEMON DROP. That would be fabulous! Forget seasickness when you fall at 8 g's......... It is the same ride as at Stratosphere but instead of shooting up & bouncing back down, you fall & then shoot up.

Actually, the DEMON DROP just slowly lifts you up, and you free fall down! STILL would be a blast. (I think you're thinking the POWER TOWER, which is a LOT like the Stratosphere! :))

After reading about the Pride of America "Gyroscopic Ride" I thought I'd try to find some information or pictures but I can only find negative reviews in the Norwegian boards and this picture of the ship being built. Something doesn't look quite right there.

Note: our last cruise wasn't that exciting so we decided that were done cruising for a while so I quit playing here in March and have no idea what's going on in the cruise industry anymore so I'm sure the Pride of America Gyroscopic Ride is relatively old news.

Those pictures are of the Pride of America when it sank during construction.

Yes, it looks like the Freedom of the Seas will have a Flowrider.

Well someone called it. The surf pool it is. I can't seem to find the original post on it, don't remember if it was this thread or a similar one.

Just wanted to say good call !!!

Surf's Up dude !!!

Just popped in to read who was it that had the inside info, to funny.

Don't think I will use it unless it's during an adult (fools) only session. Kids love the surf wave at our waterpark while most adults usually just make fools of themselves falling off in 10 seconds. :p

BonVoyage

Dawna

I posted the wave pool as a guess a few posts back.....didn't see any others before mine...

I guess the captain on Radiance in '04 was right. A bit disappointing however...just something that we'd probably never use..

Very excited about the wave and I will try it. My DH always brings his boogie board on any ship with beach stops. He will love this. My DD is afraid of sharks but wants to surf so she and her DH will be joining us on a cruise - this will be the clincher to get them to cruise. Wonderful!

Does anyone know what whether it will be used for surfing all of the time or is there going to be times where its just a wave pool?

It is not a wave pool. It is a small incline made of a soft rubber material that has 3 inches of water quickly shot up the incline to create a "wave". The water is only 3 inches deep and moves at such a quick pace that you would never be able to stand in it. Watch people crash and the water will push them, very rapidly, up to the top of the incline where the velocity of the water stops and the rider can stand up and walk out.

This is very safe as the rubber material that forms the incline is soft incase (or should I say when) someone falls. I have never seen anyone get hurt on one and in addition, have seen people of all ages (very young to pretty old) attempt to ride the wave.

[rant]People who have pre-judged this innovative ride should really re-think their thoughts. Most people have never heard, let alone seen in person, a floRider and are now judging that this is simply no fun or not for them. You never know! After all, it's your mentality that makes or breaks your cruise and some of you are looking to have a pretty miserable cruise.[/endrant]

Chris

Ceewest, I simply asked a question. I don't need my mentality judged because I'm not a surfer. Kudos to all who will go on it and have a great time. I suppose I will hang out in the H20 zone and I'm certain I will have fabulous cruise, flowrider or not.

I don't swim in the ocean so I sure as heck won't be trying this out. I only asked because I thought perhaps it would similar to the wave pool that's at mandalay bay.

Archived