Does Azamara Offer Shopping with the Chef?

cruisegal#116

While cruising in the Mediterranean on another upscale cruise line guests could sign up to go Shopping with the Chef. This was offered free of charge and about 20 of us boarded a bus to go to a local Market in Malaga with the Chef and a Guide. It was a great morning out and we got to see how the Chef picks his local produce, meets and cheeses. It didn't hurt that the Chef was quite outgoing and very personable.

Does Azamara offer a similar experience? I have not read anything in any of the reviews and have seached this board and have come up empty.

We are cruising on the Quest in about three weeks and I would like to sign up for this if offered.

Thanks.

We enjoyed shopping with the chef in Bordeaux. The ship was berthed right in Bordeaux and we enjoyed a walk with the chef buying delicious fromage at the Sunday morning market.....wonderful.

There was also evening dancing on the quay ....again wonderful.(not a regular event)

We are cruising with Crystal this weekend to Bordeaux but sadly they are unable to berth at the city quayside but we shall endeavour to get to the Sunday market by shuttle bus.

Piscean,

Thank you for your quick reply. Could you answer the following questions please.

1. How did you know Shopping with the Chef was available? Did Azamara

post it in the Daily Schedule or make an announcement about it?

2. How did you sign up for it? Was it complimentary?

I did this previously on Seabourn and there was no announcement about it. You just had to know to ask about it and you signed up with Guest Relations.

Hope you enjoy your upcoming cruise.

Thanks again.

We went shopping with the chef a few years ago on Azamara. It was in Spain, but I don't remember which port. The Guest Relations Manager accompanied us and hired a local guide who was fantastic, giving all of us the history of the city as we strolled to the market. The GRM made sure that we had tastes of many of the foods we were seeing in the market. Afterward, we were taken to a lovely café where we had tapas and sangria. There was no charge for any of this.

I think the event was announced in the daily program. You did have to sign up ahead of time. We had about 20 people.

You should probably ask at Guest Relations when you board whether this activity is being offered.

Have a great time on the Quest.

tgg --

Thanks so much for sharing your experience.

I will definitely inquire about this activity on embarkation day. I really want to do it if it is offered. It is such fun.

Uisegal

Are you on the may 7 sailing?? Have you checked in at our roll call??

Piscean,

Thank you for your quick reply. Could you answer the following questions please.

I did this previously on Seabourn and there was no announcement about it. You just had to know to ask about it and you signed up with Guest Relations.

Thanks again.

Answered by tgg......enjoy

Piscean,

Thanks again.

Hello all,

Yes there are times when the Chef invites guests along to shop. It is something the Chef and Captain coordinate but is not a regular program. It tends to happen most frequently in Europe.

What you should do is check in with Guest Relations once on-board and let them know you would be interested in attending.

We were invited to go shopping with the chef when we were in St Tropez in October.

We received an invitation to the cabin but as Bonnie says I am sure Guest Relations will accommodate your request if something similar is happening on your sailing.

We were unable to attend as we were doing something else but those that did go had a wonderful time

Hello all,

Yes there are times when the Chef invites guests along to shop. It is something the Chef and Captain coordinate but is not a regular program. It tends to happen most frequently in Europe.

What you should do is check in with Guest Relations once on-board and let them know you would be interested in attending.

Thank you for the confirmation of this Bonnie - it sounds an excellent thing to do and we will check in with Guest Relations and keep our fingers crossed :)

Thanks for asking this question. Bonnie's reply has encouraged me to ask at GR when we board in 11 days in Rome. The thought of food shopping in Italy with the chef is very enticing.

Sent from my iPad using Forums