Sitka Excursions

ron1946

Carnival just changed itinerary for the Miracle and has deleted Skagway and substituted Sitka. A lot of people are frustrated because Carnival has not posted any shore excursions. Understandable since the schedule just changed.

If you have been to Sitka can you recommend any excursions? There are a lot of folks that would like to know. Thanks for any and all help!

Carnival just changed itinerary for the Miracle and has deleted Skagway and substituted Sitka. A lot of people are frustrated because Carnival has not posted any shore excursions. Understandable since the schedule just changed.

If you have been to Sitka can you recommend any excursions? There are a lot of folks that would like to know. Thanks for any and all help!

It all depends on what you are interested in. They have a large number of "on land" things that you could do. What is really nice is that Sitka is a great walking town. You don't particularly have to do excursions. The town has a hop on/hop off bus that runs between all of the wonderful sites within the town. The cost is minimal and allows you to spend as much time as what you want to spend there. Then you can decide which ones would have a priority for you.

What is so special about Sitka, they are one of a kind town in the state of Alaska and they have done as much as possible to preserve both their Russian heritage as well as the Tlingit and Haida culture.

Several sites that I would consider must see - St. Michael's Russian Orthodox Cathedral; Sheldon Jackson Museum (that has an impressive collection of multiple native Alaskan artifacts); The Russian Bishop's House; The Raptor Center; Fortress of the Bear; Sitka National Historical Park which contains a huge collection of native Totems; the New Archangel Russian Dancers; as well as the usual fishing, whale watching and other activities that are duplicated at any of the other Alaskan cruise ports.

What ever you decide to do - Sitka is a wonderful little town that has a population that is very proud of what they have accomplished. Enjoy your self.

Okie

Previous Cruises:

Alaska - Westerdam - September 2009 - 7 days

Alaska - Rotterdam - September 2010 - 7 days

Mexican Riviera - Oosterdam - April 2011 - 7 days

Alaska - Amsterdam - September 2012 - 14 days

Planning Stages - Panama Canal - Jan/Feb 2015

Sitka is my favorite Alaskan city, cruising into Sitka past small islands peppered with wilderness homes is breathtaking. Loved visiting the Raptor Center, where eagles and other birds of prey are returned to health after a variety of injuries. Lots of good shopping on Lincoln Street and lunch at the Larkspur Cafe. Russian influences abound, just beautiful.

This is the only inside passage area for jackpot varied wildlife boat tours, and puffin viewing (IF your tour goes there, and in season).

I highly recommend going independent. I am also on the Miracle and have contracted a private tour, since this is a priority for me.

I have a suggested list on the 5-13 sailing roll call.

Marine wildlife tour - we've used Capt. Davey at www.puffinsandwhales.com. Really great trip with small, six passenger boat - saw humpbacks, puffins, otters, and my first gray whale - it was thrilling! And Davey's wife's chocolate chip cookies didn't suck either;).
I second this recommendation.

We had taken the wildlife tour contracted by the cruise ship on a previous trip and it was okay, but going with Capt. Davey in his small boat was vastly superior.

Sitka is our favorite port! This is a blessing in disguise. Having done both, I'd say without a doubt that a small boat tour in Sitka is much more fun that the train in Skagway. Plus the town is so much more charming. I recommend going to see the totem poles at the Sitka National Historical Park and a marine wildlife tour with Gallant Adventures.

I'd say you lucked out. I agree with the others who love this port. I'd switch in a heart beat. We went with a private boat and also had time to go to the Raptor Center. By far my favorite Alaska port.

Marine wildlife tour - we've used Capt. Davey at www.puffinsandwhales.com. Really great trip with small, six passenger boat - saw humpbacks, puffins, otters, and my first gray whale - it was thrilling! And Davey's wife's chocolate chip cookies didn't suck either;).

I was there 2 summers ago and went with Capt. Davey and can't say enough about him. It was a small (6 passenger) boat, wonderful wildlife sightings, and Sitka is an idyllic little town. In fact, I loved it so much I'm searching for a monthly rental in Sitka for this summer to just go, escape the heat in the Midwest, and enjoy this incredible little town.

Sue