Favorite Foods Aboard

sarafinadh

Just a slant on the original question. Jimsgirl got me thinking in another thread.

What about things not on the menu, but available on request?

The blood sausage is mentioned below, and shrimp cocktail was mentioned in the other thread.

Anything else come to mind?

Sara

What about things not on the menu, but available on request? ...

The blood sausage is mentioned below, and shrimp cocktail was mentioned in the other thread.

Sara

Steak, chicken, and salmon are always available.

Just a slant on the original question. Jimsgirl got me thinking in another thread.

What about things not on the menu, but available on request?

Sara

They can sometimes come up with some haggis if you ask very nicely.

J

For heaven's sake man, where's your spirit of adventure? It's only...

... no, perhaps I'd better not go into too much detail.

:D:D:D

J

That is the problem. I am aware of the details. My Welsh Grandfather was a fan and always tried his best to get me to have some. To date, I have yet to achieve the necessary level of inebriation.:D:D

That is the problem. I am aware of the details. My Welsh Grandfather was a fan and always tried his best to get me to have some. To date, I have yet to achieve the necessary level of inebriation.:D:D

Well, after eating some of the stuff in Chinatown with Richard, I kind of find the Haggis rather boring!

Well, after eating some of the stuff in Chinatown with Richard, I kind of find the Haggis rather boring!

I know what you mean. We have a Chinese friend out here. She took us downtown to her favorite Chinese restaurant. Authentic stuff she ordered. Everything had either eyeballs or feet sticking out of it.:eek::D Hope all is well with you and Richard. Can you believe it has been 2 years since QV??

Edited by Jim Avery

They can sometimes come up with some haggis if you ask very nicely.

J

Really J?

Haggis?

Sheep's stomach and oats and guts?

I am impressed. Cunard really DOES think of everything!!

I imagine that would be quite the dainty treat to serve at tea, next to the scones....

Sara

I know what you mean. We have a Chinese friend out here. She took us downtown to her favorite Chinese restaurant. Authentic stuff she ordered. Everything had either eyeballs or feet sticking out of it.:eek::D Hope all is well with you and Richard. Can you believe it has been 2 years since QV??

We're doing well. I hope everything's fine with you two, as well. We did a 14 day trip on the Celebrity Eclipse in Jan. It was outstanding. The food was really far superior to what we had on the QV. Not sure about all of Celebrity, but the Eclipse really seemed to have it down right. We plan another next winter. I just wish Cunard would do more trips to the Caribbean, not just the "holiday" trip on QM2 or world segments on the QV/QE.

We like the seafood pie, I also like the calf liver.

The steak and mushroom pie, fish & chip at the Golden Lion are always good.

Oh! If you want to try room service, the chicken/shrimp curry is also great!

Edited by Yoshikitty

We're doing well. I hope everything's fine with you two, as well. We did a 14 day trip on the Celebrity Eclipse in Jan. It was outstanding. The food was really far superior to what we had on the QV. Not sure about all of Celebrity, but the Eclipse really seemed to have it down right. We plan another next winter. I just wish Cunard would do more trips to the Caribbean, not just the "holiday" trip on QM2 or world segments on the QV/QE.

Keith, if you are looking for Caribbean with great food and something unique, check out SeaDream Yacht Club. We just did Costa Rica with them (7th voyage) and highly recommend it for "foodies".:D Heading out week after next to Alaska on Princess. Too bad Cunard does not do Alaska. Pacific Princess is smaller than QV/QE and we have a nice suite booked. I used to work up there a long time ago.

Edited by Jim Avery

Hullo Keith,

I caused "gagging" sounds from my ex neighbors when I described some of the foods I have eaten in my travels!

Personally I like "jellied eels" and "stewed eels" staples in the East End of London in the 30's (Poplar ,the setting for "Call the Midwife").

I do not care for "Laver Bread " in Wales - fried seaweed not bread at all.

I hope a change on Cunard will be that in the Britannia, the menu will in future actually list the alternatives instead of the present secrecy, (yes you can ask the waiter but you should not have to do so). Two dishes never mentioned or shown at Breakfast you can ask for "a bowl of mixed berries", and of course if you like it " fried Black pudding "

Regards to you both.

Lynn

Hullo Keith,

I caused "gagging" sounds from my ex neighbors when I described some of the foods I have eaten in my travels!

Personally I like "jellied eels" and "stewed eels" staples in the East End of London in the 30's (Poplar ,the setting for "Call the Midwife").

I do not care for "Laver Bread " in Wales - fried seaweed not bread at all.

I hope a change on Cunard will be that in the Britannia, the menu will in future actually list the alternatives instead of the present secrecy, (yes you can ask the waiter but you should not have to do so). Two dishes never mentioned or shown at Breakfast you can ask for "a bowl of mixed berries", and of course if you like it " fried Black pudding "

Regards to you both.

Lynn

I ate a live Lobster once in Chinatown. Will NEVER do it again!! I love the grilled Eel we get here. It's usually in Japanese restaurants & is referred to as "Unagi".

Keith, if you are looking for Caribbean with great food and something unique, check out SeaDream Yacht Club. We just did Costa Rica with them (7th voyage) and highly recommend it for "foodies".:D Heading out week after next to Alaska on Princess. Too bad Cunard does not do Alaska. Pacific Princess is smaller than QV/QE and we have a nice suite booked. I used to work up there a long time ago.

Would love to do Seadream, but unfortunately it's out of our pricerange.

I ate a live Lobster once in Chinatown. Will NEVER do it again!! I love the grilled Eel we get here. It's usually in Japanese restaurants & is referred to as "Unagi".
Never been offered live lobster and hope I never will be, but during WWII my grandfather caught lots of eels in traps; they were most of what we had to eat those summers on the Connecticut shore. I was a kid then and I thought they tasted great (ready made fish sausage I called them) and I even got a kick out of bashing them against the concrete well cover before skinning them, although that was real messy.

Never been offered live lobster and hope I never will be...
In Spain many, many, many years ago (I was thirteen :D ) I ordered Eel at a small beach-side restaurant and watched the chef roll up a sleeve, reach into a huge glass tank, grab a casually swimming Eel and chop it into "steaks" while the animal was still alive and writhing, the tail lashing around on the chopping board...

I couldn't eat a single bite :eek: .

Edited by pepperrn

... grab a casually swimming Eel and chop it into "steaks" while the animal was still alive and writhing, the tail lashing around on the chopping board...

Well that's why we bashed the eels dead before we skinned and cooked and ate them.

Never been offered live lobster and hope I never will be, but during WWII my grandfather caught lots of eels in traps; they were most of what we had to eat those summers on the Connecticut shore. I was a kid then and I thought they tasted great (ready made fish sausage I called them) and I even got a kick out of bashing them against the concrete well cover before skinning them, although that was real messy.

Yeah, it was this Sushi special. Taste was ok, but talk about chewy & hard to get out of the shell.

In Spain many, many, many years ago (I was thirteen :D ) I ordered Eel at a small beach-side restaurant and watched the chef roll up a sleeve, reach into a huge glass tank, grab a casually swimming Eel and chop it into "steaks" while the animal was still alive and writhing, the tail lashing around on the chopping board...

I'm a firm believer that one should never meet one's food socially before eating it!

:eek:

J

I'm a firm believer that one should never meet one's food socially before eating it! :eek: J
Is that the same as "it isn't etiquette to cut anyone you've been introduced to"? ;) :) Edited by pepperrn