Supermarkets near Port of Miami?

I would love to know the answer also. I would hate to have to bring snacks or drinks from Chicago if I can get out limo driver to stop on the way to the ship without putting them out to the way.

Has anyone aske a driver to stop?

Thanks,

Robin

We found a market 2 blooks from our hotel in Miami (can't remember which one, but was near port. It was in a REALLY bad neighborhood and I don't think we'd do it again. Hotel said it would be ok as long as we stuck together and never went there at night. Not worth it.

We are staying pre-cruise at the Doubletree Grand and I believe they have a grocery mart in the lobby, as well as a dry cleaner, etc.

EDIT: Yes, I just looked it up:

Le Faubourg Deli shim.gifA combination of French Bistro and Latin Café, this delicatessen and food center has something for everyone. Proudly serving Starbucks coffee and offering fresh-made daily pastries, sandwiches, salads and hot meals to go, Le Faubourg provides a quick stop for those on the run. For your convenience, Le Faubourg also offers a full line of grocery and pharmaceutical items as well as a wide selection of wines and spirits. shim.gif

We had our cab driver stop at a store along the way. It was kind of a rough neighborhood though. The cab driver actually got out of the cab to guard the luggage because he had to bungie cord the trunk. When I walked in the store everyone was kind of looking at me funny because I guess I really stood out from their usual customers.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Port of Miami downtown. It is across from the Bayside Marketplace. That is about the closest to the piers. There is a WalGreens drug store two blocks from the hotel where most of the people went for their purchases. I can not give you directions but I am sure someone on here will remember how to get to it.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Port of Miami downtown. It is across from the Bayside Marketplace. That is about the closest to the piers. There is a WalGreens drug store two blocks from the hotel where most of the people went for their purchases. I can not give you directions but I am sure someone on here will remember how to get to it.

We hit the Walgreens like Alexis did. You go out of the hotel and go to the right, just past the building under construction there are a group of closed stores, take a right on Third Ave and you should see Walgreens just ahead on your left. 1 S.E. THIRD AVE.

Walrgreens will generally have anything you need. Go to walgreens.com and you can get directions to one from your hotel.

It is indeed not a good neighborhood so don't head out alone or at night!:eek:

BonVoyage

Dawna

Does Walgreens sell beer and wine?

Not that I can remember :confused: But sure you can call the hotel you are staying at and ask where the closest place is before hand. I am sure this is a question they get asked often. I gave up and dragging it onboard, the cost for Vodka at the liquor store onboard plus the fee to take it back to the room is equal to what we pay at home. Beer is a whole nother story, he has to lug it if he wants to save the money:D

BonVoyage

Dawna

I work in Downtown Miami very close to the port. In fact I can see the ships everyday from the office conference room windows. I agree that Walgreens is the best choice. There are certainly very bad neighborhoods in the area.

On one cruise my husband forgot to pack his bathing suit. After we checked in we grabbed a cab and went to Walgreens, it is pretty huge and lots of stock. The cab driver waited for us and we were back on board in less than hour.

• 2 months later...
Found this thread by doing a search and I'm really confused - Walgreen's does NOT sell beer?

Quote:

Originally Posted by chajec

I've called the Walgreens closest to the Port of Miami on Oct 1st, 05 and they do NOT sell beer or liquor.

I just called them (305) 373-8401 and the clerk said that they don't sell beer or wine. Only the Walgreens in South Beach sell alcohol. Wonder why that would be? We bought beer in a little, and I do mean little, convenience store that was connected to the hotel where we stayed. At that time it was the Best Western, now it's the Holiday Inn. If we sail from Miami anytime soon I guess we'll have to stop somewhere on our way from the airport.

I guess I'm a very naive person from Canada and obviously we have our bad neighbourhoods as well but what indicators are there to know when a neighbourhood is "bad"? We will be flying in a day early and might want to buy some soda and wine out some outlet. Now I'm thinking I'll be too nervous to venture out from the hotel. Is it safe to wander the Bayside Market at night for dinner and a stroll? Sorry I'm just not up on events in Miami; why are there so many rough neighbourhoods?

Drugs, poverty and racial issues are probably the main problems that make it unsafe Catperson. I remember my friend going for a jog from the condo we were staying at by the port. He took a turn down a steet and a nice lady told him he better go back. That was around 10am. Our condo had armed guards and we did get a good look at a body being pulled from the water of our marina.

All that being said you should be fine during the day in areas that are obvious tourist stops. I wouldn't go sight seeing down any side streets though.

Archived