Need suggestion for cruise tour

mak102

We are planning our first Alaska cruise tour in July. I know we are late but we do not have any choice. I have not spent much time on researching but can anyone suggest which cruise line is best for cruise and land both? I checked princess (aax and bax) and holland america (V7L) quickly and both are offering 10 days package in first part of July - 7 nights cruise + 3 nights on land - mainly Denali park only.

Can anyone suggest me which cruise line is better?

Thanks.

We are planning our first Alaska cruise tour in July. I know we are late but we do not have any choice. I have not spent much time on researching but can anyone suggest which cruise line is best for cruise and land both? I checked princess (aax and bax) and holland america (V7L) quickly and both are offering 10 days package in first part of July - 7 nights cruise + 3 nights on land - mainly Denali park only.

Can anyone suggest me which cruise line is better?

Thanks.

No matter which you take , start with land portion and finish with the cruise. This gets the long flight to/from Alaska at the start.

If that's all the time you have for the land portion, consider renting a car and doing Denali DYI.

But if you take a cruisetour make sure you get some time IN Denali ... some of the cruisetours, arrive midday on Day 1 and leave at noon the next day so you have no time to take a shuttle into the park to view wildlife and scenery. Be mindful of the details. You need 2 nites at Denali.

My opinion only, short cruise tours are usually a poor choice. Most all the time is in transit. Do you know the differences in the Denali park tours? Are you familiar with the distances, locations? These are basic points that is best known, so to make the right choice. Princess does not have "Denali Park only" cruise tours. Again, knowing the details is vital.

I disagree with the "land first". Either direction could be an excellent choice.

If possible, I recommend you consider more days.

Maple has a valid suggestion with going independent to also consider.

My opinion only, short cruise tours are usually a poor choice. Most all the time is in transit. Do you know the differences in the Denali park tours? Are you familiar with the distances, locations? These are basic points that is best known, so to make the right choice. Princess does not have "Denali Park only" cruise tours. Again, knowing the details is vital.

I disagree with the "land first". Either direction could be an excellent choice.

If possible, I recommend you consider more days.

Maple has a valid suggestion with going independent to also consider.

I rally don't know about Denali park tours. I was about to make final booking on Princess but I found they are taking us to Denali afternoon and heading back on next day afternoon, so we wont have enough time in Denali. You guys saved me. I knew this is the forum I will find out something quickly. Top of that I think for inside tour we have to manage our own and I may not find any half day tour.

Are there any bus tour for a day in Denali? Please suggest.

I rally don't know about Denali park tours. I was about to make final booking on Princess but I found they are taking us to Denali afternoon and heading back on next day afternoon, so we wont have enough time in Denali. You guys saved me. I knew this is the forum I will find out something quickly. Top of that I think for inside tour we have to manage our own and I may not find any half day tour.

Look at the Denali web site for info on the various bus trips. There's also a map that shows the location of the various stops.

I would always recommend the Eielson shuttle which is an 8 hr RT. A shorter option is the Toklat shuttle, about 6 hrs ?? RT and that gets you to the edge of prime bear viewing territory.

Edited by mapleleaves

This is a big mistake, booking that Princess cruise tour. It included the Natural History tour- which meant nothing to you. :) This does NOT get you into the park. Like going to Disneyland and not getting out of the parking lot. Denali Park is about DISTANCE, the farther you go, the more you see, simple concept. My min. is Eielson, by SHUTTLE bus. Again, do your homework and understand the differences- distances, and difference with the "tour" buses and "shuttle" buses

For the life of me, I fault Princess heavily for selling this worthless package. You spend 10 hours on the "Direct to Denali" train, and then don't get into the park??? You've got to be kidding. :)

where are you flying in from? what time would you arrive in Anc? and would you be willing to rent a car?

With only 3 days, perhaps your trip to Denali could be:

DAY1 arrive in Anc. Pick up rental car and drive to Talkeetna 2 1/2 -3 hrs. Overnight there

DAY2 leave Talkeetna by 9am for Denali, a 2 1/2 -3 hr drive depending on construction. Arrive at Denali by 1pm in order to check into your hotel,pick up a sack lunch at Subway, park and pick up passes for the 3pm Toklat shuttle. The shuttle will drop you off at 9pm then grab pizza and beer at 49th State.

DAY3 sleep in, drive to Whittier to board the ship. It's a good 7 hrs drive to reach the tunnel staging area outside Whittier. Be mindful of the tunnel hrs since it's only open once an hr in each direction. Not sure what time you need to be on board but probably not until 6pm.

Can you add another day to make it less hectic.