Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ Part 2

Host Kat

Let me know how the accommodation was after your trip!

I just posted a Galt Villas review on TA. It's under Laura Mares. It was perfect for us. Clean, King Efficiency. Our only complaint, not the Motels fault, is the road work in front of Motel. It didn't ruin our trip, just a bit of a nuisance.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Some good Galt Mile area restaurants are Greek Islands, Bokampers (waterfront huge sports bar/grill), Nick's (neighborhood Italian with lounge upstairs), La Dolce Vita, East Side Deli (breakfast/lunch). Lucca can be hit or miss. Pizza Rustica has great takeout. Martorano is popular but very noisy. There are a couple of new Italian restaurants on 33rd St and 32nd St I haven't yet tried. Aruba about a mile north is good and oceanfront, and there is a very nice waterfront Chart House about a quarter of a mile away. Since you have a car, if the weather is nice, you should also try Coconuts 5 miles south.

Bokampers was an excellent choice, Thank you for the suggestions! It was so good that we ate their two nights in a row. Plus were able to Valet our car there for only $5.00 while we explored Fort Lauderdale on the water taxi.

db8a67431f3b1d52314c0e1615dfa18c.jpg

We Also ate Birthday dinner at Coconuts. It was also very good. Great vibe going there.

0c10c2535a71983d8b0858285ed378bb.jpg

169b5333de54c08f2a2df53771a0e42e.jpg

a24187e837ceb6d06cc1eac34bf35f34.jpg

I just posted a Galt Villas review on TA. It's under Laura Mares. It was perfect for us. Clean, King Efficiency. Our only complaint, not the Motels fault, is the road work in front of Motel. It didn't ruin our trip, just a bit of a nuisance.

I'm glad to hear that you had a great trip. Yes, the road work is really annoying, and unfortunately, it's all over the city. Hopefully we will enjoy the upgrades when it is all done. Several bridges are being rebuilt, so you can imagine the traffic nightmares!

Looking at either Snooze or Premier Hotel for our stay. Good Tripadvisor reviews and right on the beach which I'd like since we arrive early on the previous day for boarding. And close to both airport and port.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Premier is not directly across from the beach but on a side street. And to call the Sunrise Blvd/Galleria area close to the airport and port is a bit of a stretch. Traffic on that section of A1A is usually a dead crawl by mid-morning on the weekends when I presume you will be trying to head for the port.

Snooze faces the beach from across A1A and is very close to the "strip" of long-ago fame so there are plenty of beachy restaurants and bars open late into the night down the street. Plus Las Olas Blvd a quick trolley ride away. But the hotel lacks 24 hour staffing and has neither safes nor even telephones in the rooms--while you share the building with dorm-style accommodations and their inhabitants.

Always be aware of where the "savings" comes from.

I'm coming in Mid-October for a two night stay before a 25yr anniversary cruise on the Oasis of the Seas. I have hold on two hotels: Lago Mar (great pool and grounds but no restaurants nearby) and Bahia Mar (great for restaurants but grounds just ok. Also gets so/so reviews) I would like to do a few things while we're in FLL.

1. water taxi tour on intercostal

2. a little time at the beach

3. relax at the pool

4. At least one dinner at either Coconuts, Fisheries or an Italian place

I would love to know if I should stay one of these two hotels or can you recommend another that would make this stay special. Both hotels are less than $200 a night so would like to keep in that range.

Thanks

Premier is not directly across from the beach but on a side street. And to call the Sunrise Blvd/Galleria area close to the airport and port is a bit of a stretch. Traffic on that section of A1A is usually a dead crawl by mid-morning on the weekends when I presume you will be trying to head for the port.

Snooze faces the beach from across A1A and is very close to the "strip" of long-ago fame so there are plenty of beachy restaurants and bars open late into the night down the street. Plus Las Olas Blvd a quick trolley ride away. But the hotel lacks 24 hour staffing and has neither safes nor even telephones in the rooms--while you share the building with dorm-style accommodations and their inhabitants.

Always be aware of where the "savings" comes from.

Thank you SO much for the detailed reply.

Actually, we will be arriving on a Monday and embarking on Tuesday. Would that make the Premier a decent option.

I would like someplace where I can walk to the beach without paying $300 a night :eek:

I'm coming in Mid-October for a two night stay before a 25yr anniversary cruise on the Oasis of the Seas. I have hold on two hotels: Lago Mar (great pool and grounds but no restaurants nearby) and Bahia Mar (great for restaurants but grounds just ok. Also gets so/so reviews) I would like to do a few things while we're in FLL.

1. water taxi tour on intercostal

2. a little time at the beach

3. relax at the pool

4. At least one dinner at either Coconuts, Fisheries or an Italian place

I would love to know if I should stay one of these two hotels or can you recommend another that would make this stay special. Both hotels are less than $200 a night so would like to keep in that range.

Thanks

I would stay at Lago Mar. The beach and pool and hotel are really nice and that is an excellent price. You'll want to take a taxi or Uber to get to the restaurants and water taxi from there, but it's a really short inexpensive ride. A fun Italian place is Louie Bossi on Las Olas Blvd, about 3 miles away. Other great Italian restaurants about 5 miles away: Cafe Vico and Casa D'Angelo. There are a bunch of inexpensive-moderate Italian restaurants on 17th St too, including Bravo and Panaterro.

We are staying at the Marriott Harbor Beach Resort next month for three nights. How far is the hotel from the water taxi? I know it's a bit off the beaten path. What restaurants are in walking distance if any. Should we just call uber?

The water taxi is about 2 blocks away. 3030 restaurant at your hotel is excellent. Bahia Cabana is a fun casual place to eat on the marina, but don't expect much from food and service. Coconuts is less than a mile away. Take an Uber downtown to Las Olas Blvd dining.

We have the night before our cruise in April booked at the Holiday Inn Express on 17th Street. Would love to hear if this is a good choice or not. We would want to be able to walk to food or I believe the "Sun Trolley" runs right by our hotel.

We will have some time on our day of arrival and are planning on using the Sun Trolley as a way to get around. The water taxi also looks like fun, but I need to research it more to see where all it goes.

Any info would be appreciated!!!

THANKS!!!

We have the night before our cruise in April booked at the Holiday Inn Express on 17th Street. Would love to hear if this is a good choice or not. We would want to be able to walk to food or I believe the "Sun Trolley" runs right by our hotel.

We will have some time on our day of arrival and are planning on using the Sun Trolley as a way to get around. The water taxi also looks like fun, but I need to research it more to see where all it goes.

Any info would be appreciated!!!

THANKS!!!

You picked the perfect hotel for your plans. Enjoy!:)

Hi, I'm arriving at FLL at 9:30 AM on a Sunday morning for the Allure in a few weeks. We will be 3 adults and 2 kids aged 9 with 5 bags of luggage plus carry-ons and are planning to take a taxi to the port. Will there be taxis at the airport on a Sunday morning that are large enough to fit all of us and our luggage to get us to the port.

Also, I would like to stop somewhere on the way to the port (drugstore, supermarket, etc.) to pick up some soda and water to take on the cruise. Is there a convenient place along the way to the port for the taxi to stop so I can run in to pick up this stuff. Also, would the taxi charge extra for this stop or does the meter just keep running while we're stopped.

Thanks

Edited by andy2812

Hi, I'm arriving at FLL at 9:30 AM on a Sunday morning for the Allure in a few weeks. We will be 3 adults and 2 kids aged 9 with 5 bags of luggage plus carry-ons and are planning to take a taxi to the port. Will there be taxis at the airport on a Sunday morning that are large enough to fit all of us and our luggage to get us to the port.

Full size van taxis are readily available at FLL for the same price as a sedan taxi but with that much luggage you might do better taking two taxis.

Also, I would like to stop somewhere on the way to the port (drugstore, supermarket, etc.) to pick up some soda and water to take on the cruise. Is there a convenient place along the way to the port for the taxi to stop so I can run in to pick up this stuff. Also, would the taxi charge extra for this stop or does the meter just keep running while we're stopped.

Ask to stop at Publix supermarket in the Harbor Shops shopping center off 17th Street or the Walgreens drug store on Eisenhower Blvd and 17th Street near the entrance to the Port. The meter will be running.

Thanks

See above.

Thanks

Follow Capriccio's advice, but I just wanted to mention that there is no place to stop on the way to the port from the airport. You have to go off-course to stop at stores, so you will pay for a little bit of extra time and mileage in addition to the waiting time at the store.

Follow Capriccio's advice, but I just wanted to mention that there is no place to stop on the way to the port from the airport. You have to go off-course to stop at stores, so you will pay for a little bit of extra time and mileage in addition to the waiting time at the store

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not so - Walgreen's is located exactly where your taxi will make the right hand turn off on SE 17th Street onto Eisenhower Blvd (across from Renaissance Hotel) to the port. Good parking - fast & easy in & out. Surprisingly this Walgreen's has lots of trip stuff including adult beverages albeit brands may be limited. No off-course stop, no extra miles for this store located less than 1000 feet from port security. Hope this helps.

Follow Capriccio's advice, but I just wanted to mention that there is no place to stop on the way to the port from the airport. You have to go off-course to stop at stores, so you will pay for a little bit of extra time and mileage in addition to the waiting time at the store

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not so - Walgreen's is located exactly where your taxi will make the right hand turn off on SE 17th Street onto Eisenhower Blvd (across from Renaissance Hotel) to the port. Good parking - fast & easy in & out. Surprisingly this Walgreen's has lots of trip stuff including adult beverages albeit brands may be limited. No off-course stop, no extra miles for this store located less than 1000 feet from port security. Hope this helps.

Royalcruz is correct - if you are driving from the airport to the port, the most direct port entrance is not Eisenhower Blvd and 17th Street. Therefore, a deviation to 17th Street for both Total Wine and Walgreens will be necessary.

Edited by capriccio

Walgreen's is located exactly where your taxi will make the right hand turn off on SE 17th Street onto Eisenhower Blvd (across from Renaissance Hotel) to the port.

If your taxi from the airport to the cruise port is at SE 17th and Eisenhower, then you've already gone way out of your way; that intersection is not on the most direct route from the airport to the cruise port.

Not specific cruise question. We are coming in to Ft Lauderdale for a hockey game in Sunrise. We are staying at Marriott Beach Towers for 3 nights.

Is there a limo company that operates in the area? We really don't need a car otherwise & would rather enjoy a few cocktails & not have to drive in unfamiliar surroundings.

Royalcruz is correct - if you are driving from the airport to the port, the most direct port entrance is not Eisenhower Blvd and 17th Street. Therefore, a deviation to 17th Street for both Total Wine and Walgreens will be necessary.

Of course I'm correct, LOL. I love it when people who don't live here try to correct my driving routes. Um, I don't think so! :rolleyes:

We'll land at MIA on June 22nd and will spend the first night at a airport hotel as we arrive late after a long flight from Northern Europe. After a good night sleep (yeah right, the jet lag..) we'll pick up a rental car from the airport.

Our plan is to spend two nights somewhere close to Port Everglades before our cruise departs on June 25th (Carnival). Now I'm wondering which hotel to choose. We'll do some shopping at Sawgrass Mills but with the jet lag we would appreciate a hotel with nice pool area to spend some time with the kids (7&9 years) without actually doing anything. We have been to Miami area before so there's no need for any sightseeing. I was thinking about returning the car to FLL airport the night before our cruise so the hotel should have shuttles to FLL and to the port.

I was looking at Rodeway Inn as the rate is only 140 dollars (with taxes etc.) for two nights for the four of us. And they have a complimentary breakfast and the shuttles we would need. Is it a decent place to stay with kids? The pool looks "ok". Other hotels I have looked at cost almost double (or more) as much and they don't all even have free breakfast and/or shuttles. Rodeway Inn also seems to have an early shuttle to the port (extra cost) and that would be great as we have FTTF bought for our cruise so we should be aboard for lunch.

On the way back from the cruise we'll be having a car from Alamo so will use their shuttle from the port to FLL to pick up the car and off we are to Orlando for two weeks! :cool:

Thank you for any opinions you may have about our plans! The hotel is my biggest concern - we are familiar with driving in US and the kids are used to travel. As this is going to be a total 3 weeks trip and we have already spent a fortune for the flights and the cruise, I really don't want to spend "too much" on the hotel we are staying for two nights only. As long as it is basic clean and safe with kids we'll be okay with it! Rodeway Inn is my first option at the moment but I'm open for any suggestions!

(btw I started to write this thinking that you must think I'm nuts and too early as it's February and we won't be there until June but then I realised it's ALREADY February and there's only 4,5 months left, wohoo!) :eek::D