Random Facebook question

Lexus1224

Personally, we would never post any of our travel plans or pictures while we travel. It may just be me, but I kind of think you are asking for trouble when you do. I have posted pictures upon our return, however. It's fun to relive and not take any time away from our travels!

I do know a lot of people post while they are away. It's just not something we feel comfortable with.

Have a great cruise!

• 4 weeks later...

My Facebook page is "locked down" as tightly as Facebook allows. I check it periodically to be sure that it stays that way - Facebook makes changes that can affect your privacy settings and you won't even know unless you monitor it. They certaily don't tell you about it. Part of that "lock-down" is being sure that all of my posts (of any kind) can be viewed by "Friends only".

That being said, if one of your friends "likes" a post, all of their friends can see that post. Those peoples' friends now have access to your post. Friends of friends of friends, etc. (total strangers) now have access to your post.

So it's not a matter of setting your account to "Friends only". There are ways around that and you have absolutely no control over it, other than not having a Facebook account at all.

My Facebook page is "locked down" as tightly as Facebook allows. I check it periodically to be sure that it stays that way - Facebook makes changes that can affect your privacy settings and you won't even know unless you monitor it. They certaily don't tell you about it. Part of that "lock-down" is being sure that all of my posts (of any kind) can be viewed by "Friends only".

That being said, if one of your friends "likes" a post, all of their friends can see that post. Those peoples' friends now have access to your post. Friends of friends of friends, etc. (total strangers) now have access to your post.

So it's not a matter of setting your account to "Friends only". There are ways around that and you have absolutely no control over it, other than not having a Facebook account at all.

Well said. Personally, I see no reason to advertise before or during a trip. I wait until I return to post pics and share my travel details.

+1 to the house sitter. I was gone to europe for 18 days last year and had a house sitter. I didn't announce my travels before hand on FB, but I did post a few pictures during my trip. I am a professional photographer, so it was hard for me to refrain from sharing any images from the most beautiful places on earth!

But I would have held them back had I not had a house sitter. I am pretty streamlined as far as friends on facebook, but you just never know.

Sent from my iPad using Forums