MSC Divina Food How does it compare?

I have been considering booking the MSC Divina for a 7 nts Western Caribbean. I love the ship, I love the price, and they are a former client of mine. I am concerned about the food? I've read a lot of bad reviews. I know they have tried to address it. How is it? Do they still try to charge for water?

I have been on all the other major lines and to be honest the food was decent not great with the exception of the specialty restaurants. I do admit I always book them when I can.

MDR vs MDR how do they compare

buffet vs buffet how do they compare

Thank you for the advice!

We were served ice water at the beginning of dinner service every night without having to ask.

Having said that. I did tweak the service as the week progressed. Ice in the pitchers had mostly melted before our glasses were filled at the beginning of the meal, so certainly all was melted in short order. By the second night, I had begun requesting a glass of ice in addition to the initial service of water. The assistant waiter fulfilled my request no problem. By the third night and thereafter in response to my request, the assistant waiter would bring me a bowl of ice. It was appreciated and quite comical. I was able to share with tablemates and refill my water glass during the meal.

There was a real problem with no automatic refill of the water glasses during the meal. We in the North American market are so used to that being one barometer of table service. So in that respect, MSC wait staff could use additional training on this point. Not a make or break for me, because I had a lovely bowl of melting ice each night in addition to the initial glass of water at the beginning of the meal. After several dinners with empty water glasses and no refills, my tablemates, by the end of the week, were requesting to have both the water and wine glasses filled with water at the beginning of their meal.

I am quite prepared for the same when I sail again in October. Forewarned is forearmed.

Edited by logan25

Overall, I would rate their MDR food as better than some, but not as good as others. Individual taste prevails.

I keyed in on some highlights which suit me. Large shrimp in the shrimp cocktail at dinner, rather than mini popper shrimp cocktails (I am speaking of Royal Caribbean and more.) When I again sail on Divina in the fall, I am strongly considering instructing the waiter to bring me cocktail after cocktail on those nights when it is served, and skip the main entree altogether.

The cheesecake ranks as good, with a dense, creamy texture. Hazelnut on the first night was my favorite. Cannot abide the gelatin versions, nor those which are served at room temperature so the texture quality suffers (I am speaking of Norwegian and more).

An unexpected surprise was the donuts. I'm guessing they were fresh made, so someone correct me if that is incorrect. I am fond of a lightly sweet cake donut, and MSC offered them on the breakfast buffet every morning.

Was there water just available on the ship like carnival ncl etc?

How was the food? That is my biggest concern. I've heard bad, but some people expect way to much for what it is. Like I said, NCL, Princess, RCL, CCL are all decent in the mdv not great, but I can live with that.

There are the usual self-serve beverage stations in the buffet just like NCL, Princess, RCL, CCL and such. Stations stocked with ice, water, coffee, tea bags, and various juices.

I never tried ordering just an iced tap water from a bartender or roaming waiter, so can't say.

Totally disagree its the best at sea as far as the buffet goes, we did not go to the MDR.

Sorry, not the best buffet. Even Carnival has a better buffet. Divina has no smoked salmon at the buffet, and very little seafood, certainly not oysters or ceviche like Carnival. And no made to order pizza like Carnival. While I hesitate to sail Carnival, food alone does not a ship make. As for the MDRs, Divina's are crowded and poorly designed, with serving stations within view and earshot of every table. Divina's MDR food was OK, as there is only so much you can expect when they are serving close to 2000 dinners at each seating. But don't hesitate to sail Divina at least once, she is a true beauty, albeit a bit crowded.

I agree with you on the mdr's. It is very difficult to serve 2000 people at one time. I think people expect 5 star when in reality none of them are.

As for the buffet's I haven't found any that I like.

While food doesn't make a cruise, I feel it can definitely ruin a vacation if it's not at least decent. My fear with MSC is all the 1's...... if most of the low score were a 3 then I wouldn't even post. I haven't found a mdr or buffet that I would rate higher than 3.5. Now some of the pay have been very good 4 in my opinion.

The food is OK, decent. I would be suprised if it had ruined anyone's vacation. We ate in the MDRs every evening, most lunches and twice for breakfast. Don't hesitate to sail Divina at least once, then let us know your thoughts.

Thanks very much! I did book a balcony cabin this am. Honestly the ship looks super impressive and you can't beat the price.

I will let you know when we return in Sept. :)

The Divina offers plenty of value and eye candy. I'll be interested in hearing your opinion after your cruise.

Sorry, not the best buffet. Even Carnival has a better buffet. Divina has no smoked salmon at the buffet, and very little seafood, certainly not oysters or ceviche like Carnival. And no made to order pizza like Carnival. While I hesitate to sail Carnival, food alone does not a ship make. As for the MDRs, Divina's are crowded and poorly designed, with serving stations within view and earshot of every table. Divina's MDR food was OK, as there is only so much you can expect when they are serving close to 2000 dinners at each seating. But don't hesitate to sail Divina at least once, she is a true beauty, albeit a bit crowded.

Correction, Carnival does not have made to order pizza. They do have freshly made pizza, but they only have 4 to pick from and you cannot get a pizza specially made the way you want it. trust me, I've tried. :(

CArnival has no smoked salmon for 4 years min .now) they had oysters too when ??? in 1972? Divina has made to order PIzza and its best of the best.

CArnival has no smoked salmon for 4 years min .now) they had oysters too when ??? in 1972? Divina has made to order PIzza and its best of the best.

Yes, they do have a separate area one level above buffet deck serving very small portions of oyster in a strange sauce & crevice , but believe me not worth eating. My last cruise on Carnival last Oct. was absolutely the worst ever, had to laugh at past guests receiving $1 off a drink coupon. My grey goose was $12 & not looking at receipt until later, was charged regular price. They do allow 22 bottles of water to be taken on board but you have the gestapo check each bottle. Won`t bore you with the rest.

Whether you like oysters and ceviche or not, carnival has a seafood bar in the rear above the buffet, and serves smoked salmon at the deli window on the buffet level.

What I'm curious of is who would even want that mess (oysters, ceviiche, or smoked salmon)? :eek:

Sorry, my friend, but if you have never had smoked salmon (lox) on a bagel then you don't know what you are missing. Yummy

Cheers

Len

Oh, yes I do know what I'm missing, non-fried fish......bleah!!!

I'll stick with my bacon and eggs in the morning.

I was going to write something up after my divina cruise last week, but life is getting in the way, so here's my take on the food:

MDR: We got very lucky and were assigned a table for 4 for the 4 of us. It was on the first level of the Black Crab, starboard side, around the corner from the entrance. Very roomy and good service. Our last cruise was a year ago on Sillouhette, so that's my benchmark. It's banquet food just like Sillouhette. Always warm or hot, deserts average, pastas excellent. Every bit as good as Sillouhette with the exception of the beef (we had fillet & strip on different nights) which was very below average. We had breakfast there a couple mornings not at our table and found the areas we say to be very crowded to the point where the waiters couldn't walk around the table, so it's hit or miss. We're not seafood eaters, but I have a feeling that the seafood might be good. I heard a few compliments.

BUFFETT: Breakfast was underwhelming. I usually find one item that stands out but not here. Breads are excellent, croissant just ok, scrambled eggs MUCH better than Sillouhette. VERY crowded as was all of deck 14. Think mall on Christmas Eve type crowded and I found the entire deck uncomfortable except on port days when it was a pleasure. Lunch buffet was better with better selection than Sillouhette.

PIZZA: I'm a pizza snob. I've had the best the USA has to offer: Patsy's in Harlem, New Haven, Trenton tomato pie... I rate the buffet pizza as excellent just below this. The seperate pizzeria downstairs makes a more crafted pie that is every bit the equal of those mentioned above. My only compliant is not enough char, but I expect if they chared it they'd get complaints from the uneducated people that think that Ragu & cheese on wonder bread is pizza.

PASTA: I'm a carbaholic. I eat pasta 4 nights a week at home and never order it out because it always sucks. This pasta, both in the buffet & MDR is superb. Every one of them. Red sauces with that wonderful olive oil sheen that coats the sides of the plate...cream sauces that aren't heavy goop, nothing overloaded with stinky Romano cheese. Every one of them made with love.

Pasta & pizza are both crafted cuisine (yes, cuisine) that, unfortunately, most Americans pass off as junk food, and scoff at their presence as cheap or unimaginative. I pity them because they're sticking their nose in the air at the best part of this ship.

Tirade over. All told, food was no better or worse than celebrity.