HAL Eurodam for solo passengers - any tips or reassurance welcome!

bevfd

I'll be travelling on my first ever cruise and my first solo holiday in 4 weeks, I do travel for work and often stay overnight on my own but this will be my first 2 week trip in my own company.

The cruise is a 12 night Baltic tour so plenty of ports to visit, all of which, other than St Petersburg, I will be exploring on my own. I have chosen fixed late seating and while I don't want to be clubbing in the nights, at 38 I won't quite be ready for bed at 9.30 so I'm hoping that a couple of the bars will have a little life.

I enjoy my own company but it would be nice to have people to chat to occasionally so I'm hoping for some friendly people on board.

Any tips for a great solo cruise on HAL/Eurodam? Some great advice on this board and the 'awkward moments' thread made me laugh :)

I'll be travelling on my first ever cruise and my first solo holiday in 4 weeks, I do travel for work and often stay overnight on my own but this will be my first 2 week trip in my own company.

The cruise is a 12 night Baltic tour so plenty of ports to visit, all of which, other than St Petersburg, I will be exploring on my own. I have chosen fixed late seating and while I don't want to be clubbing in the nights, at 38 I won't quite be ready for bed at 9.30 so I'm hoping that a couple of the bars will have a little life.

I enjoy my own company but it would be nice to have people to chat to occasionally so I'm hoping for some friendly people on board.

Any tips for a great solo cruise on HAL/Eurodam? Some great advice on this board and the 'awkward moments' thread made me laugh :)

Hi, I would check the roll call section for your cruise:) It is a very

nice way to meet other cruisers:)....I haven't sailed HAL in many

years.......I have a suspicsion you will be one of younger passengers

on board.....especially because it is a longer itinerary.

I paid ages ago and the prices have dropped A LOT since then so I was upgraded from an OV to a Signature Suite which I'm quite happy with. Some great bargains on Verandahs to be had.

Maybe see you there :)

I've been on the Eurodam solo, although it was a 7-day Caribbean itinerary. Like Lois said, check your roll call. I have a feeling the demographic on your sailing will be a bit older than what I experienced.

You probably won't have many (if any) sea days. If you do, they may have a "singles and solos" lunch which is usually un-hosted. They'll most likely also have some singles and solos get-togethers in one of the bars before dinner -- Again, probably unhosted. If you like trivia and they have it at a time when you're back onboard, try to join a team.

They do have a little nightlife that lasts beyond 9:30 -- The piano bar usually goes until around midnight (great hangout for a solo -- not at all uncomfortable). They also have a disco which opens later in the evening, but I don't know how well attended it will be on a port-intensive sailing. It could be just you and the show singers/dancers. Additionally, they have a dance band, but sitting around, listening to a band and watching others dance wasn't my cup of tea.

One more thing which has nothing to do with being a solo: If you like Asian food, be sure to try the Tamarind restaurant (there's a surcharge). Very yummy, and the service is really gracious, regardless of whether you're alone or with others.

Edited by elycelynne

Thanks I have already joined my roll call. There are 2 sea days but I intentionally booked a very active cruise.

As I said, I'm not looking to be clubbing but some friendly people to chat to would be nice and the age of the people doesn't matter to me in the slightest, I am quite used to the company of older people and I did my research on HAL before I booked!

I took a 7 day Caribbean cruise on the Eurodam solo in February. I had fixed late dining, asked for large table and ended up with 8 other solos at the table. We had a great time together and made for a memorable cruise!

Sent from my Surface 2 using Tapatalk

I took a 7 day Caribbean cruise on the Eurodam solo in February. I had fixed late dining, asked for large table and ended up with 8 other solos at the table. We had a great time together and made for a memorable cruise!

Sent from my Surface 2 using Tapatalk

Thank you - that's very helpful, not long to go now!

I'm currently about to pull the trigger and book a Eurodam Baltic cruise for late June. Please come back and let us know how the cruise went, any tips and tricks for solos onboard, etc...I'd really appreciate it! Have a great cruise!

I'm currently about to pull the trigger and book a Eurodam Baltic cruise for late June. Please come back and let us know how the cruise went, any tips and tricks for solos onboard, etc...I'd really appreciate it! Have a great cruise!

Good for you, and yes, I will post when I get back

Thanks I have already joined my roll call. There are 2 sea days but I intentionally booked a very active cruise.

As I said, I'm not looking to be clubbing but some friendly people to chat to would be nice and the age of the people doesn't matter to me in the slightest, I am quite used to the company of older people and I did my research on HAL before I booked!

Sorry -- Didn't mean to ruffle your feathers. I thought that you might have just wanted to know about the demographic since you mentioned your own age. I hope that you at least found some helpful information from my post.

Sorry -- Didn't mean to ruffle your feathers. I thought that you might have just wanted to know about the demographic since you mentioned your own age. I hope that you at least found some helpful information from my post.

Elyce, your post came across as friendly to me.:D....I hope the original

poster did not get their feathers ruffled:eek:...I know you were trying

to be helpful.

The internet can be such a funky medium sometimes.

I haven't travelled with HAL but my top tip would be don't bother too much that you are on your own. If you meet other singles great, but half the friends I've made have been couples, as you often find they are just as glad to have someone new to talk to - and as you can always compare what you've done that day you have an instant ice breaker.

The Baltics are great, I'm sure you'll enjoy them. Oh and be prepared to become addicted to cruising. I've got solo cruises 10 & 11 booked, love them!

I haven't travelled with HAL but my top tip would be don't bother too much that you are on your own. If you meet other singles great, but half the friends I've made have been couples, as you often find they are just as glad to have someone new to talk to - and as you can always compare what you've done that day you have an instant ice breaker.

The Baltics are great, I'm sure you'll enjoy them. Oh and be prepared to become addicted to cruising. I've got solo cruises 10 & 11 booked, love them!

Thanks Gary, this could become an expensive hobby!

Hi, I would check the roll call section for your cruise:) It is a very

nice way to meet other cruisers:)....I haven't sailed HAL in many

years.......I have a suspicsion you will be one of younger passengers

on board.....especially because it is a longer itinerary.

I was on the Eurodam in Europe last fall, LOVED the BB King Blues Club, went there every night. It's a much younger vibe, "the Memphis Sound" is how it's billed, but I knew every word to every song. Many people got up and danced along, even those without partners.

As a solo I found it best to take Any Time Dining and get new table mates each night, you're more likely to meet other people traveling alone. I second the other poster about Tamarind, well worth the upcharge, fantastic food and service (although there was a strange vibration in the back corner, but we were moved immediately).

Definitely look at the roll-call and if there are other solos you can e-mail ahead of time. Three of us had a ball, mostly meeting for cocktails and then dinner, but most nights the others went on to the shows (yawn!) and I to the Blues Club.

Enjoy your trip!

• 2 weeks later...

Bev,I did one Holland cruise,14Ns in my upper 60s. I was miserable. No one would speak to me , not one person. Ship was awash with over 80 crowd, some in really bad shape. Asked my BF why no interaction. He said they have nothing in common with you.There is nothing worse than being on wrong ship. Hal is just a line for the really elderly. PS. Have done NCL Jewel as solo.I was beautifully treated by staff. Allow extra $ for the alternate dining venues.They will ask in all restaurants if you wish to dine alone or with others. I would go again on NCL. Especially with studio concept. One cannot always find interaction on Rollcalls here.

Edited by zoncom