Do we need travel insurance?

jdragr

We always get insurance.

We have had to cancel cruises for various reasons -- most recent -- Feb 2014 -- many of us were among the 74,000 flights that were cancelled because of snow storms.

And we always fly to embarkation ports 2 or 3 days early -- and that didn't even help this year.

I have never had travel insurance. Do we need it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hopefully you won't need it but it is always good to have just in case.

Here's an example of our "just in case." My otherwise healthy sister went in for a routine mammogram less than a month before we were to leave on a cruise. In 3 weeks time she had a mammogram, went through a biopsy, had a partial mastectomy and started radiation. Her radiation started on what would have been our first sea day. Without the insurance we would have lost thousands of dollars.

Life has a way of throwing curve balls when you lest expect for it is better, in my opinion, to expect the unexpected.

Depends upon how much of a financial hit you can afford to take if bad things happen. Only you know the answer to that question.

I doubt if the loss of a few thousand dollars or a lot more if there are medical issues would bother Bill Gates. It would probably bother the most of the rest of us.

DON

I have never had travel insurance. Do we need it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I always get trip insurance both for the possibility of cancellation and for overseas medical care. Usually I go to www.insuremytrip.com . They have various levels of coverage from many different carriers. Their site allows you to compare features between policies to get the exact right covereage for you...

When I purchase trip insurance do I purchase enough to cover the total cost including excursions or just the cost of the cruise, transportation, and hotels?

The more coverage you buy the more expensive it will be. Are the excursions refundable if you can't sail? Is some portion of your hotel accommodation or air ticket refundable? No need to buy insurance for those items if so. Most people are concerned about insuring an expensive "what if" - like hospitalization out of the country or recovering the cost of the voyage should you come down with the flu the day before embarkation. Or not being able to get to port because of flight cancellations. (As I write this heavy rain and fog is affecting all airports in the NYC area.)

Since the time is ticking away on your window of opportunity to insure your trip I would say insure the items where you would take a heavy financial hit if something went wrong.

We had insurance on one of our Alaska Cruises and DW had a Gall Bladder attack. Can't treat that on the ship. Medevacuated in Sitka Alaska, 3 days in the hospital/old folks home, missed 3 excursions. Total was well into 5 digits. Insurance covered everything, excursions refunded, refunded half of the cruise price (had a Penthouse Suite), and flew back to Seattle First Class on Alaska Airlines to make our original flight back home. Yes it pays and we always get it. And yes we always fly into the port the day before. Seattle, Quebec City, Barcelona Spain are all places that we have had extra time in before the cruise. Good Luck!

Edited by Steviewonder1