Bergen port

silversurf

Azura usually berths in the commercial port due to the size of the ship and then uses shuttle buses into Bergen near the park and even then it is a fair walk for somebody who has walking difficulties. There is another berth within walking distance without use of shuttle bus but I think this is only for smaller cruise ships.

I have been to Bergen a few times and do not recall there ever being shuttle buses provided. It is a 10 -15 minute walk from the commercial docks. There is a hoho tourist bus that picks up at the docks but it is quite expensive and apart from the Bryggen and fish market which are worth further investigation, the round trip is a bit uninspiring.

We were on the Aurora in 2010 and 2012 when it docked in Bergen commercial port. Shuttles were provided on both occasions.

Ships also use the port near Bryggen in which case it's a bit closer to the center and shuttles are not needed in the cruise lines' view.

Latest P&O port info states: "Dependent on berth - either walking distance or a shuttle bus". Note also that if provided then it will be free for everyone as it's not a port where those on saver fares have to pay.

Here is a link to the Bergen Port Authority website http://www.bergenhavn.no/event/dolink/famid/356122

and it shows you that Azura will be docked at:

DOKKESKJÆRSKAIEN VEST 2.

There is also a Tourist Info leaflet which shows you where this port is and also where the shuttle bus provided by the port authority drops you off in the town centre.

http://www.visitbergen.com/Bergen/Dokumenter/Om%20oss/Publikasjoner/2013/CruiseMap_2013.pdf

We liked Bergen very much. There seemed to be something interesting round every corner and of course the funicular is not to be missed. You don't need a ship's tour as it is very easy to do this on your own. Bergen is also fairly level to walk around. We're really looking forward to our return visit.

We were in Bergen last year on Ventura. We docked in the commercial port and it was straight off the ship and into a shuttle bus; apparently we had to use the shuttle buses because of the other commercial vehicular traffic around so I would suspect that you will not have to pay if you are on a saver fare.

the shuttle is about a 2 minute walk from the ho ho bus stop I have mobility issues and managed to walk to it - we had prebooked to save queing as I find it difficult to stand, we took the round trip and then stopped at the fishmarket and had a wander around there and then walked slowly back to the shuttle bus stop - I managed it taking it slowly and sitting down a few times - the weather was glorious that day (it was in June) but you can use the ho ho bus to get back to near the stop.

we did not go on the funicular as we were concerned about me having to stand and queue.

We found the bus tour very inforamative and it was fascinating to see the architecture.

remember to make sure you have change for the public toilets a lot of people were getting caught out !

if you are visiting Stavanger on your cruise that is also quite easy to get around ......remember to visit the sardine museum - its fascinating

I certainly agree about the sardine museum in Stavanger! We were lucky to be there on the first Sunday of the month and they baked fresh sardines for us after our look round the museum!

As to toilets, I had to come back to the ship to use the loos as i had no change.

Edited by Scriv

Hi Silversurf,

We are on the same cruise as you, Check out the role call page for the cruise critic meet up on Sunday:)

Last year Azura berthed at the commercial docks and we were taken by shuttle bus as you are not allowed to walk across the docks. Its only a couple of minutes on the coach though, but it is a bit of a walk up to the Fishmarket area.