Bear Watching

funh2oguy

I will be in Ketchikan the first week in September on the Volendam. I really want to do the bear watching excursion but have to wonder if a salmon run is going on at that time and attracting bears to the streams. Any info that could be provided will be appreciated...Thanks

I was at Anan Creek bear observatory about 9 day ago. I was thinking ahead to next year and the possibly of coming back in early September. I asked the forest service person about seeing bears at Anan creek the first part of September and she said I would be lucky to see any bears then. The salmon run is over and the bears are gone. At Anan Creek, I wouldn't waste my time looking for bears in September. Sorry. I don't know about other places.

wildlifeart

I agree, forget Anan, but early Sept, may have something at Neets and Traitor's Cove??? However, I never consider these costly tours on the fringe and alway plan on peak visits, just my opinion. I would be in contact up until you leave and get accurate sightings and if there is a steady decline. Hopefully bearbait will answer? The expert here.

Archived