12 Favorite Films for Travelers - Destination Immersion blog post

BBMacLaird

Azamara's Destination Immersion posted a blog the other day on their 12 favorite films for travel lovers. Their #1 is Roman Holiday with Gregory Peck and Audrey Hepburn.

They missed mine, which is An Affair to Remember with Cary Grant & Deborah Kerr, 1957. It was filmed onboard the ss Constitution, the same ship that carried Grace Kelly and her entourage to her wedding to Prince Ranier in 1956.

What's your favorite travel or cruise-based film?

http://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/connect-share/blog/12-films-travel-lovers/

How about "Ship of Fools? (No offense, of course)

I, too, love "An Affair to Remember", but just as enthusiastically recommend the scenes of the North Atlantic winter crossing in "Brideshead Revisited" and the sensational overhead shots from atop the mast in "Master and Commander-The Far Side of the World", to give a pretty good sense of being aboard a ship in turbulent seas.

And let's not forget good old "Moby Dick"!

What started out as a mild curiosity about India turned into a full blown obsession after watching Slum Dog Millionaire

Thanks to an indulgent hubby, a special occasion and Azamara, I was able to put some of that obsession to rest when we did the Spice Route cruise last year and got to visit and experience some of the sights and places that the movie showed:D

Totally a fabulous experience!!

How about "Ship of Fools? (No offense, of course)

I, too, love "An Affair to Remember", but just as enthusiastically recommend the scenes of the North Atlantic winter crossing in "Brideshead Revisited" and the sensational overhead shots from atop the mast in "Master and Commander-The Far Side of the World", to give a pretty good sense of being aboard a ship in turbulent seas.

And let's not forget good old "Moby Dick"!

Sounds to me like you're a white water sailor!

What started out as a mild curiosity about India turned into a full blown obsession after watching Slum Dog Millionaire

Thanks to an indulgent hubby, a special occasion and Azamara, I was able to put some of that obsession to rest when we did the Spice Route cruise last year and got to visit and experience some of the sights and places that the movie showed:D

Totally a fabulous experience!!

It sounds great! I may have to look into that itinerary myself. I loved the scenery in that Marigold Hotel movie too. And a Passage to India. Hmmm, I can feel a blog post about India taking shape...

Wouldn't it be great if Azamara could screen these movies and films on board when sailing in the relevant region? Great way to enhance the "Destination Immersion" experience. How about an on-board movie club complete with pre-screening dinners and trivia contests.... Would be a lot more interesting than knapkin folding and bean bag toss!

Wouldn't it be great if Azamara could screen these movies and films on board when sailing in the relevant region? Great way to enhance the "Destination Immersion" experience. How about an on-board movie club complete with pre-screening dinners and trivia contests.... Would be a lot more interesting than knapkin folding and bean bag toss!

What a great idea. They did screen 'A passage to India' last year, but it was a very long movie. I would have loved a Bollywood movie or 2 just to get into the swing of things as well;)

For Turkey:

Midnight Express

Topkapi

For Caribbean: Jamaica

Various James Bond movies

China:

The Last Emperor

Florence

A Room with a View

Normandy

Saving Private Ryan

Band of Brothers

And of course the Dan Brown movies

Great ideas about screening the movies on board, with an on-board movie club. I'll pass this thread to the Hotel Department's attention.

Tonight H2 and I are going to watch 'Nebraska'. Do you think it'll make me want to visit that state? (Before you respond anything negative, I have a childhood BFF who now lives in Ogallala so it's inevitable there's a Nebraska trip in my future!)

Bonnie

Any movies for the Indonesia route -- Bali to start so must be something there and ends in Osaka -- close to Kyoto where the geishas serve. Netflix list is waiting. It would be cool to have some movie nights on the long voyages and even just have them on the TV so can relax in the cabin too.

Any movies for the Indonesia route -- Bali to start so must be something there and ends in Osaka -- close to Kyoto where the geishas serve. Netflix list is waiting. It would be cool to have some movie nights on the long voyages and even just have them on the TV so can relax in the cabin too.

The Year of Living Dangerously inspired a trip to Indonesia for me. Very interesting film of the political events during the Sukarno administration. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086617/

Don't forget the books for the library. Asian centered novels for Quest winter voyages then European as year goes on etc. Not hard to manage as the Asian collection (100 books?) could be placed in 4 boxes and stored and then brought back to freshen up the library in a new region. Librarians do this all the time to have the holiday books, gardening books, even travel books on the shelf when clients want them. Many retired librarians/devoted readers on these boards would help you choose the collections.

Nice posters of places in the area of travel would also add to the "immersion" experience. Dry mounting of large posters costs less than $20 but add greatly to our enjoyment of past trips. Looking at a poster of The Queens Garden at tulip time in Amsterdam on the left and a poster of Patagonia Chile on the right. I would love walking around the ship and seeing Asian or European or South American places that might be on that itinerary or in the area.

Edited by Bowie MeMe

Bonnie, this is great fun, but I see that there is a request for real information that was posted here on April 25 asking you for help that hasn't got a response yet.

I hope you'll be able to help those folks.....

Bonnie, this is great fun, but I see that there is a request for real information that was posted here on April 25 asking you for help that hasn't got a response yet.

I hope you'll be able to help those folks.....

Hello Shedridt, which post # is asking for help on the 25th? I'll help if I can, but I'm not finding it.

Bonnie

Hello Shedridt, which post # is asking for help on the 25th? I'll help if I can, but I'm not finding it.

Bonnie

Bonnie, maybe the idea about tying in movies and activities with the destinations? Just like the way Azamara already has a lecturer that ties into the destinations, movies & activities also related to it would further enhance what Azamara's all about: destination immersion.

Bonnie, maybe the idea about tying in movies and activities with the destinations? Just like the way Azamara already has a lecturer that ties into the destinations, movies & activities also related to it would further enhance what Azamara's all about: destination immersion.

This makes a lot of sense.

A movie that influenced my travel thoughts is the long-ago epic Lawrence of Arabia. Fascinated by the desert scenery filmed in Jordan's Wadi Rum, I always wanted to go there and see it for myself. When Overseas Adventure Travel offered a small-ship Red Sea cruise with stops in Jordan, Saudi Arabia, and Egypt a few years ago, I couldn't resist. We overnighted in Aqaba and took a four-wheel-drive excursion deep into Wadi Rum. It was at least as dramatic in person as in the movie. Unfortunately, that cruise is no longer offered.