New TV System on Diamond Princess

The Captain90

Have seen some discussion on new TV systems being installed on Princess Ships. Has the Diamond been done yet?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Well, she just came out of an extended drydock. It might have been one of the things done... hopefully someone on the ship will report back...

The Diamond's sister ship the Sapphire had the 40" TVs installed before going to Asia so it may be the same on the Diamond. I haven't read about the Royal's interactive entertainment system & intranet on another ship. When I sailed on the Sapphire in January these improvements were rumored to be coming to the Sapphire.

The Diamond's sister ship the Sapphire had the 40" TVs installed before going to Asia so it may be the same on the Diamond. I haven't read about the Royal's interactive entertainment system & intranet on another ship. When I sailed on the Sapphire in January these improvements were rumored to be coming to the Sapphire.

Larger HD TV's but the picture quality is only SD. All that money being spent on larger TV's but the picture quality is pretty bad.

We were on one of the last cruises out of LA on the Sapphire and the system was up and running in our cabin. It was actually very nice with DVR functions built in when you were watching video on demand movies. And the quality was very good. Broadcast TV was, in general, not HD-quality, but the on demand movies were...

13576751645_f265c83fc3_c.jpgCoastal Cruise 3-14 005 by RickEk, on Flickr

Yep, the Diamond has them now

But does she have the video on demand capabilities?

The Sapphire had the movies on demand feature added too.

But that was done over a 4 month period while the ship was in service. :rolleyes:

We were on one of the last cruises out of LA on the Sapphire and the system was up and running in our cabin. It was actually very nice with DVR functions built in when you were watching video on demand movies. And the quality was very good. Broadcast TV was, in general, not HD-quality, but the on demand movies were...

Thanks...did they also have the intranet like on the Royal to access on any Wi-Fi enabled device? It was very convenient to have an electronic Princess Patter, itinerary, specialty dining menus with prices and access to my onboard ship account. :)

Edited by Astro Flyer

Thanks...did they also have the intranet like on the Royal to access on any Wi-Fi enabled device? It was very convenient to have an electronic Princess Patter, itinerary, specialty dining menus with prices and access to my onboard ship account. :)

Sadly, no. But the on-demand TV system was leaps and bounds over the old system. Hopefully, they retrofit the rest of the fleet soon!

But the on-demand TV system was leaps and bounds over the old system. Hopefully, they retrofit the rest of the fleet soon!

Totally agree with you. We had it on the Royal but a few months later sailed on the Emerald and it was the old system:(. Can't wait until all ships have been upgraded.

Sadly, no. But the on-demand TV system was leaps and bounds over the old system. Hopefully, they retrofit the rest of the fleet soon!

Maybe someday but great to hear that the "rumor" about the On Demand system being added to the Sapphire was true. The Captain's Circle rep said "no" & my steward said "yes". ;)

We just got off the Diamond on Saturday.

We had brand new t.v's (about 40inch I think) in our room with Movies on Demand. The picture quality was brilliant. Almost 3d'ish.

Was was told by some passengers who done a B2B on the previous cruise, that the T.V's where quickly installed just before our take off ready for the Japanese market.

We had a mini suite, so we had 2 t.v's next to each other, one angled towards the bed, and the other angled towrds the sofa. The problem with this was the remote activated both of them from most angles (but not all), so sometimes you would end up turning both t.v's on, and sometimes you would change the channel on one and not the other. Got fustrating sometimes.

The movies on demand has plenty of categories with plenty of good movies to watch in each. The main thing lacking was the lack of "television" stations. Outside movies, we only had news channels (and the wake show of course) such as BBC or Fox etc).

The movies on demand has plenty of categories with plenty of good movies to watch in each. The main thing lacking was the lack of "television" stations. Outside movies, we only had news channels (and the wake show of course) such as BBC or Fox etc).

The new TVs & On Demand system are big improvements but just like other Princess ships "television" stations are limited to news & sports programs. I believe that the cost to add network shows or other live programs would be expensive & probably in the long run not cost-effective.