Hosting first group cruise question

iminyourmind

Hello everyone. This July I will be hosting my first group cruise aboard the carnival victory. This being my first group cruise, I had a couple of questions. 1. I hear there is a free room or free cruise fair for every 8 cabins booked. 2. If so, when and how is that credit applied? Could it just be used as on board credit? Thanks in advance for your answers.

We've done 7 group cruises. Doing the eighth next year.

Use a TA. The TA will set up the group and figure out the Amenity Points. The TA will field all the calls and questions, especially regarding money. You could alos go thru the Groups Department and give everyone the contact information.

Amenity Points are different for each cruise. These can be used to buy OBC, photo coupons, Logo gifts etc. There are a limited amount of points available for any one cruise. It is possible that none are available for your cruise. You can purchase more if need be.

The free berth is based on the number of cabins sold, not berths sold. You would get a free berth for every 8 cabins sold. Some cruises we have been lucky to get the free berth basred on 5 cabins in the low season.

The free berth money is the Commissionable fare (not the whole fare) based on the most booked cabin type- IS, OV, BAL, etc. Carnival cuts a check about 6 weeks after the cruise. Some TAs will give the amount as OBC knowing that they will be reimbursed by Carnival. I do not know how Carnival Groups handles this.

Do not herd cats!! We plan very few functions for our group- a Formal pic and an ice cream social (That I keep on trying to cancel.) Otherwise everyone does their own thing. We do eat dinner together.

Hello everyone. This July I will be hosting my first group cruise aboard the carnival victory. This being my first group cruise, I had a couple of questions. 1. I hear there is a free room or free cruise fair for every 8 cabins booked. 2. If so, when and how is that credit applied? Could it just be used as on board credit? Thanks in advance for your answers.

The credit is equal to the per person rate of a double occupancy fare for each 8 cabins booked for Carnival. (So basically one person's fare) This of course is based on the fare before port charges and taxes. The cabin categories booked are also factored in for the credit amount. It can be used for on board credit for the group coordinator or can be split among the cabins which is what I am doing with my family and friends in August. I believe it is applied at final payment, but not 100% sure.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

OP should have received a copy of the Group Contract if booking direct or the TA will have it once Group allotment was

held. Since this is for this July , Group would have been held awhile back ?

It will explain the amenity points , 1 for 16 dbl occ fare to be received after cruise returns , ect

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We received the berth money a few weeks after our cruise.

My advice- plan tons of activities! We had 35 with us and had the best time! We had group t-shirts, boas, 2 cocktail parties (2 hr $20pp, unlimited drinks), did a slot pull, a pub crawl, had an art class where we painted a nice picture. Best cruise ever!

What is the best way for group member to book. Does the "host" call and set up the group booking then each member can call and give that group booking and select their own room? Or does the "host" block

off select rooms?

I like the idea of having a private cocktail party and that price is not bad at all. Any other amenities avaiable for groups?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Someone has to block group space first .

Al least 9 months out will usually get you the most amenity points , rate and availability.

A good TA , familiar with cruise groups ,can take all the work out of it for you .

Making the bookings , collecting the $$$ , answering ?'s .

Costs you $0 .

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

What is the best way for group member to book. Does the "host" call and set up the group booking then each member can call and give that group booking and select their own room? Or does the "host" block

off select rooms?

I like the idea of having a private cocktail party and that price is not bad at all. Any other amenities avaiable for groups?

. Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

$20 each for the 2 hour party is the old price. the price is almost doubled now.:eek:

off select rooms?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

We place a hold on the types and numbers of cabins we want- OV and IS on the Fantasy class ships. Similar to a Guarantee.

There is a charge of $50 per cabin to do this. (We travel with couples, I do not remember if the $25/berth was charged for the higher occupancy cabins.)

The money gets refunded when cabins are booked and when they are released. When we did it the cost of the cabin holds was equal to the cost of our cruise.

Your TA or contact with Carnival will help you decide how many to cabins to hold. Get an idea from your group what kind of cabin they want.

Edited by SadieN

I set up a group cruise for every summer and always use a TA.

Once our group picks the next cruise, I visit my TA and she sets up the group. She prints flyers for us to hand out with all the cruise info on it and anyone interested calls her to book.

The TA handles the booking end of it and I set up all of the group activities. Like slot pull, bar hopper, scavenger hunt. I buy prizes for our events too. The TA does the booking work and I do the fun part.

You get 1 free berth for every 8 cabins/16 people booked. The berth is the base rate, before taxes and port charges.

Most people have already posted that they receive the credit after the cruise, but I have always gotten a check from the TA before the cruise.

I don't know why it's different TA vs Carnival booking but I have never had to wait until after the cruise for my credit.

We also have group t-shirts made and get group pics taken in the shirts. customink dot com is great! You can design your own and they have a nice selection of sizes and colors. Inexpensive too! And in some of the shirts....no minimum order.