Question from a hal lover

oldpharmguy

Let me preface my question by saying that we are fans of HAL and say how satisfied we are with almost everything HAL. We both entered our 80's last year and can tell that physically we are having difficulties, so that our days of cruising may be nearing an end. We are considering as a farewell to switch to an upscale cruise line such as Oceania. Knowing how satisfied and spoiled we have been with HAL, does this make sense to anyone. Thanks for any opinion and comment. Bud

Have you sailed an "S" Suite or "Pinnacle" (penthouse) suite on a Statement class ship? If so, you may remember the size of that class of ships (Statendam, Maasdam, Ryndam and Veendam) is easy to navigate and the use of Neptune Lounge makes for comfort without a long walk. Concierge can help with most details and cruising in Neptune and Pinnacle Suites (as they are now known) is very comfortable and much easier to navigate than the larger ships for those with tired legs etc :)

Same for Prinsendam.

I would prefer staying with much loved HAL where DH and I enjoyed so very many cruises and doing so in comfort for about the same cost you would spend on Oceania. You may or may not get the service and comfort zone you are seeking.

Just a suggestion.......

Edited by sail7seas

I agree if you love HAL looking at Prinsendam might be a thought.

However knowing Oceania, you would appreciate that line too. The two older ships are smaller and easy to get around. Food is much more upscale and dining is truly a wonderful "experience" not matched by the mainstreams. Their speciality dining is availble for no charge a few times depending on your itinerary length. There are no formal nights. Country club casual is every night. Comparing to HAl I know you wouldn't be disappointed in service.

But again, if it were your last cruise, ask... do you want to spread your wings and try something new or do you want the same thing you based your love of cruising on? Your choice.

Edited by eandj

Let me preface my question by saying that we are fans of HAL and say how satisfied we are with almost everything HAL. We both entered our 80's last year and can tell that physically we are having difficulties, so that our days of cruising may be nearing an end. We are considering as a farewell to switch to an upscale cruise line such as Oceania. Knowing how satisfied and spoiled we have been with HAL, does this make sense to anyone. Thanks for any opinion and comment. Bud

After 4 HAL cruises, we did our first Oceania cruise last month - the Riviera, to Central America. Absolutely loved the experience -- the luxury of the surroundings, extremely high-quality food, great service, smaller ship. We had a standard verandah cabin, enjoyed a marble- lined bathroom, separate full tub and shower. Our ship, the larger of the two classes of ship used by Oceania, (1250 pax) had 4 specialty restaurants for which there was no additional charge. Our interaction with the staff - cabin stewards, wait staff, desk staff - reflected a degree of friendliness, helpfulness, amd desire to please that was a cut above our last several HAL experiences. We've booked a second Oceania cruise for next year. We're in our 60's, so hopefully have some cruising years left in us, but if we were looking for a final memorable cruise, we wouldn't hesitate to go Oceania.

If you love Hal, then why would you do your farewell on any other cruise line. If it's going to be a farewell cruise do it up big and spring for the PH. Really spoil yourselves. I think you've done great cruising into your 80's, heck I'm not even close to that age, and I'm thinking my cruising days are getting number. Good for you, hope you have a wonderful final cruise on your favorite cruise line "Hal".:):):)

After 4 HAL cruises, we did our first Oceania cruise last month - the Riviera, to Central America. Absolutely loved the experience -- the luxury of the surroundings, extremely high-quality food, great service, smaller ship. We had a standard verandah cabin, enjoyed a marble- lined bathroom, separate full tub and shower. Our ship, the larger of the two classes of ship used by Oceania, (1250 pax) had 4 specialty restaurants for which there was no additional charge. Our interaction with the staff - cabin stewards, wait staff, desk staff - reflected a degree of friendliness, helpfulness, amd desire to please that was a cut above our last several HAL experiences. We've booked a second Oceania cruise for next year. We're in our 60's, so hopefully have some cruising years left in us, but if we were looking for a final memorable cruise, we wouldn't hesitate to go Oceania.

I have to second Tarpeian Rock. We returned this week from our first Oceania cruise, after happily taking four HAL cruises in the last 30 months.

I absolutely hate to say this, but we'll be staying with Oceania if and when we cruise again. I sailed on the Prinsendam last fall, thought that was terrific...and Oceania's Riviera left it in the dust.

Even though we love HAL, if we could afford to cruise Oceania again we would do so. Our two cruises with them were awesome. I say go for it!

I guess some of the choices have nothing to do with age and everything to do with what WORKS for you. We're in our mid 70s with a few physical limitations cropping up AND we've sailed other lines but ALWAYS compare to HAL and - price aside- HAL wins for us BECAUSE of the wonderful crew AND many of the lobger cruises offered; retired; we prefer the 2 month cruises into exotic places -Asia being my FAVORITE; what MAKES it possible at our age is that they sail into/out of USA on these cruises so they are easier of the physical stress. You have to think thru and figure what WORKS for YOU. THAT is the important choice.

Anne

Having been on only one "Upscale" cruise, that being on Seabourn, hard to apply my feeling to all upscale lines, but having said that, good as HAL is if I could afford it I would go with the upscale all the time. Better food, much better service, smaller ship and lots more on the plus side.:)

I say go for it and hop on Oceania. We are researching Oceania right now. We have a Volendam cruise booked and will be exploring the size of the ship and see if it feels right for us. Oceania's Riveria is the same size of the Volendam, but the Riveria has far less passengers and many more staff.

We had booked a southern Caribbean cruise on Oceania's Insigna but cancelled it for fear of ocean sickness with the smaller ship. But, the desire to hop on board of Oceania is still there and the Riveria has a wonderful Caribbean itinerary that we want to try. Right now we are at the research stage to determine which cabin category would best fit our needs.

Have you sailed an "S" Suite or "Pinnacle" (penthouse) suite on a Statement class ship? If so, you may remember the size of that class of ships (Statendam, Maasdam, Ryndam and Veendam) is easy to navigate and the use of Neptune Lounge makes for comfort without a long walk. Concierge can help with most details and cruising in Neptune and Pinnacle Suites (as they are now known) is very comfortable and much easier to navigate than the larger ships for those with tired legs etc :)

Same for Prinsendam.

I would prefer staying with much loved HAL where DH and I enjoyed so very many cruises and doing so in comfort for about the same cost you would spend on Oceania. You may or may not get the service and comfort zone you are seeking.

Just a suggestion.......

A very valid suggestion in my opinion.

If you want to try Oceania go for it. We sailed on the Regatta a couple of years ago. It is a small ship(around 650 passenger). It was elegant, easy to get around,outstanding staff, wonderful food and a whole different feeling than any other cruise I have been on. In fact my Oceania experience has made it very difficult for me to look at cruises on any other line.

Go and enjoy.

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk 2

I am a huge fan of HAL and have never sailed on Oceania. However, my SIL and her husband just returned from the Oceania Marina and loved it. The service was excellent and the food exceptional. They found the 2 for 1 deal which included air fare etc and it was a very good deal.

I would be very tempted, in your situation, to try Oceania. Let us know what you decide. I hope you will have a wonderful and memorable cruise on whichever you choose.

The Regatta, Insignia and Nautica are pint size ships and easy to get around. The service food and luxury are astounding. I think as a swan song, do upgrade to Oceania, or perhaps Crystal. They both do very well with those getting up there in terms of age. I think you can do no wrong on either line, if it is within your budget.

Crystal is now all inclusive including alcohol. If you are not heavy drinkers, Oceania may be a bit cheaper as the alcohol is not included in the fare.

Regent Seven Seas was absolutely amazing - ALL inclusive and completely service oriented - We did the Mediterainian 10 with them and it was a fairly tail --

We love HAL also but this was a notch above. Have never done a suite on HAL so can't speak to that

If money is not a concern, Oceania far exceeds HAL in terms of quality of the cruise experience. They're not even comparable -- Oceania is major league compared to HAL's junior varsity. Of course the price reflects that. I love both lines and have sailed many times on each, but when I board my expectations for Oceania (given the price) are far higher than they are for HAL. Keep that in mind and I don't think you will be disappointed.

My advice is to try Oceania and see how you like it. Best wishes! :)

Thanks to all who made suggestions concerning HAL vs Oceania. Costs are of importance to us in decision making, but if the costs won't be repeated because we won't be sailing again, then we can relax and pay the going rate.

Dave, Oceania does offer perks such as free air, prepaid gratuities and sometime OBC that reduce the difference in price between the two. However there is a price difference that has to be recognized. I like an old saying..."It only cost 10% more to go 1st Class".

That may not be true any more. Thanks again for all the input from everybody.

Bud & Marianne

Can anyone give a price comparison of HAL and Oceania? We normally travel in a Signature or Neptune suite.

DaveOKC

This is difficult because the ultimate price depends on destination, time of year, popularity of itinerary, etc...but as a VERY rough rule of thumb, we anticipate spending $300/day for 2 people in a verandah stateroom on most HAL sailings and $750/day in a comparable room on most Oceania sailings. Both exclude air. Sometimes we've spent more, sometimes we've spent less. Again though, the cruise experiences themselves reflect that difference in price.

Oceania frequently has free internet. The also have free bottled water, soft drinks and all types of coffee. The specialty restaurants are also included in the cost of the cruise (and they are wonderful). So while they seem more costly you get a lot for your money.

My advice would be to go upscale for a final fling. I've cruised more on HAL than any other line and I always enjoy myself. But I have to admit, the premium lines are much, much nicer. (I'm getting on a Crystal cruise next week) The only reason to choose HAL would be to save a few bucks. I would suggest going further upscale than Oceania. They're quite nice, but can't compare to Seabourn, Silversea or Crystal. Frankly, the expensive cabins on HAL (like the Neptune suites) are a much worse deal than the entry level cabins on the luxury lines. They really spoil you and it's hard to go back down to HAL afterwards. HAL simply can't compare for quality- whether it's food or service.

I agree with Mekka....Dave if you are paying so much just for the Neptune Suite on HAL, I would EASILY...very EASILY pay that amount for even a typical verandah on Oceania. ( I'd head to one of the newer ships) The room might not be as large as you are used to, but the entire cruise experience is the premium difference. The beautiful surroundings, high quality food, spot on service, fantastic (not run of the mill) itineraries etc. And with the free air (or credit they offer if you don't use their air) and frequent sales, I am sure you will be close to what you are paying on HAL for the suite.

If you choose to spend even more, and go luxury....I'd look to Crystal or SilverSea, truly the top of the line.

Edited by eandj