Heads up about the Port Of Charleston for Priority members

LHP

One thing that has happened lately is that the Fantasy does not dock until just before 8am. It used to dock at 6am and people were getting off by 7 or sometimes even earlier. You could get in line around 10 to 10:15 and drop off luggage... sometimes the parking garage would open at 11am and sometimes earlier. Now you still can get in line by 10:30 to 11am but the garage may not be cleared til noon or possibly later, so the line can get long. Personally I would suggest the shuttle if you are doing a park and cruise rate. You are already paying a higher fee for the parking and shuttle. You could also ask what the room rate would be without the parking and shuttle.

Yeah I think we are going to check into that too. We have free parking at the terminal, hubby has a handicapped plaque, but not sure if its worth it.

Yeah I think we are going to check into that too. We have free parking at the terminal, hubby has a handicapped plaque, but not sure if its worth it.

That changes everything - GO and PARK at the port... When the cruise is over you are in your car and on your way. AND get a room at the hotel that is not the park and cruise rate!

That changes everything - GO and PARK at the port... When the cruise is over you are in your car and on your way. AND get a room at the hotel that is not the park and cruise rate!

We have a normal rate, we were going to up it to the park & shuttle if needed when we got there. We've stayed a few times at Quality Inn over in Patriots, not the cheapest, but since we've stayed there on other Charleston visits we're comfortable. I would have preferred at the Wentworth, but the cost would have been more than the cruise, lol, no one night stays there on the weekends. I may have to stop in there and buy up their soap anyway.

sammee - If you're staying at Patriot's Point, try the S&G at River's Edge (it's next to Shem Creek Inn).

See my 5/3/13 review...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1844613

I didn't know she was arriving later in the morning now. That early arrival back in that aft cabin was it's own alarm clock. :p

sammee - If you're staying at Patriot's Point, try the S&G at River's Edge (it's next to Shem Creek Inn).

See my 5/3/13 review...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1844613

I didn't know she was arriving later in the morning now. That early arrival back in that aft cabin was it's own alarm clock. :p

Oh no, I had to look at that pic of the shrimp n grits. I was going to try Pages Okra over there, not sure again. How are the prices, and is it casual? I can't find an online menu.

Oh no, I had to look at that pic of the shrimp n grits. I was going to try Pages Okra over there, not sure again. How are the prices, and is it casual? I can't find an online menu.

Yes, the food in Charleston is amazing.

We arrived 3 days before our cruise to see Charleston.

Our oldest son is a Naval Officer there in Nuke Sub school and we planned this cruise so he could go with us before his last session of classes started. (prototype for the Navy folks out there).

He is a foodie...so he took us around to all the best places for food (and karaoke). woo hoo!!

If you get free parking, I would park at the port.

Just be prepared mentally for the process.

They really do a good job considering the logistical issues they have to deal with.

I would go and drop your luggage off at 10:30AM (Early Luggage Drop off) and then as you exit the lot, turn right up that street and park.

When they open the garage, they will let you in.

They started the parking process about 11:15am and we were parked by 1:15pm.

It is a long wait, but you are in your car and comfortable. It isn't like you are standing and waiting in a terminal.

Just go prepared....and it will be fine.

I usually eat at Fleet Landing the night before the cruise, but since I was doing both a pre and post cruise stay in the area last May, I decided to just walk over to the restaurant next to my motel (Hampton Inn West Ashley) for some very good sushi. I stayed at the HIE Patriot's Point post-cruise and had some very good food over on that side of town.

The prices at River's Edge were reasonable, I think. I really don't remember. It was just painful to have to actually pay for meals after disembarking. :p

There were people kayaking in the river (I ate inside; wish I'd been out on the deck) and dolphins appeared! I never, ever see sea life (the big stuff) when I cruise so was very happy to see them there.

I've always loved Charleston and really should visit more often. I keep threatening to do some serious job hunting in the area. Expensive place to live, but I'm sure there are affordable areas away from the historic district. Maybe I can track down Risa and get her to help me with a job search! ;)

I usually eat at Fleet Landing the night before the cruise, but since I was doing both a pre and post cruise stay in the area last May, I decided to just walk over to the restaurant next to my motel (Hampton Inn West Ashley) for some very good sushi. I stayed at the HIE Patriot's Point post-cruise and had some very good food over on that side of town.

The prices at River's Edge were reasonable, I think. I really don't remember. It was just painful to have to actually pay for meals after disembarking. :p

There were people kayaking in the river (I ate inside; wish I'd been out on the deck) and dolphins appeared! I never, ever see sea life (the big stuff) when I cruise so was very happy to see them there.

I've always loved Charleston and really should visit more often. I keep threatening to do some serious job hunting in the area. Expensive place to live, but I'm sure there are affordable areas away from the historic district. Maybe I can track down Risa and get her to help me with a job search! ;)

We've been to Charleston several times. First time was a trip we won to Wentworth Mansion for a week, perfect for our 25th wedding anniv. We had a 6 course wine/meal pairing at the circa over there. We've been to Poogans Porch, another good one. I forget the name of the seafood restaurant with the rooftop dining, not bad.

After the cruise, we are going to try Kitchen 208 for a brunch before heading home.

I'm think of retiring down there lol, not for quite some time though.

Just returned home today from sailing on the Fantasy. Had a great time too!

Overall, getting into the terminal for embarkation wasn't terrible, just took a little extra time considering what the port has to deal with.

The new terminal plans and overall port reconstruction will be awesome.

Just returned home today from sailing on the Fantasy. Had a great time too!

Overall, getting into the terminal for embarkation wasn't terrible, just took a little extra time considering what the port has to deal with.

The new terminal plans and overall port reconstruction will be awesome.

Thanks for the update! What time did you dock/get off?

Here are my questions:

We are staying at a hotel pre-cruise. When we got to the port we plan on taking a cab- what is the best time to get there? We don't aren't doing FTTF. I'm not that worried about being first on...

1) What time is the best time to get to the port? We are flying in so not worried about parking a car. We are doing one 1 pre-cruise and 4 more post... but I wouldn't mind having a fun morning doing stuff before getting on the ship.

2) What can I expect getting to the port riding in a cab?

3) Any problems with getting a cab as we leave? I'm already good to go for early arrival for our hotel.

THANKS for ANY advice on what to expect or know going in.

Thanks for the update! What time did you dock/get off?

Don't remember the times exactly, but she pulled into port around 7:30am and we were off the ship by 8:20 and in the parking garage.

We had FTTF.

Luggage handlers will need to put the extra ORANGE tag on your luggage if you qualify for Priority luggage delivery.

It will not be delivered early without it.

AND you need to stand there and physically watch them put the orange tags on.

We tipped David very well and made sure he knew we needed the orange tags (saw them hanging on the luggage cart) and reminded him twice that he would need to put the orange tags on.. (which means if they do not to this....you do not get this benefit you have earned OR paid for with FTTF).

This was at the Early Luggage collection. David assured me that he would put the orange tags on TWICE...and still did not do it.

so tipping well did not ensure good service. imagine that. sorry. that stinks.

1) What time is the best time to get to the port? We are flying in so not worried about parking a car. We are doing one 1 pre-cruise and 4 more post... but I wouldn't mind having a fun morning doing stuff before getting on the ship.

2) What can I expect getting to the port riding in a cab?

3) Any problems with getting a cab as we leave? I'm already good to go for early arrival for our hotel.

1- about 12-1pm will give you plenty of time to get on.

2 - the cab will go thru a special line that will drop YOU and YOUR checked luggage off. You will walk a short distance thru a gate in a fence and await a shuttle to the port. YOU cannot not walk up.

3 - Plenty of cabs waiting. It is a bit of a walk to them and if you have lots of luggage I would get a porter. They will take it to the cab area and might even have it packed before you show up - many of the run it down so they can get back in line.

Have a wonderful cruise!