Heads up about the Port Of Charleston for Priority members

LHP

Luggage handlers will need to put the extra ORANGE tag on your luggage if you qualify for Priority luggage delivery.

It will not be delivered early without it.

AND you need to stand there and physically watch them put the orange tags on.

We tipped David very well and made sure he knew we needed the orange tags (saw them hanging on the luggage cart) and reminded him twice that he would need to put the orange tags on.. (which means if they do not to this....you do not get this benefit you have earned OR paid for with FTTF).

This was at the Early Luggage collection. David assured me that he would put the orange tags on TWICE...and still did not do it.

Edited by LHP

My last cruise out of Charleston (and my first since they implemented FTTF there), I stood and waited while the orange stickers were added. It only took about an extra minute.

I stood and waited in San Juan, too.

I plan on standing and waiting on Sunday in Baltimore! ;)

Not that I'm in THAT much of a hurry to unpack, but I do like to get it out of the way.

Charleston is a unique animal when it comes to boarding because of their very limited facilities (but I personally think they do an excellent job, given those limitations). I'm always so anxious to board but then end up getting on a shuttle and sitting and waiting for it to fill anyway. So the little extra time to ensure the stickers were affixed didn't really slow us down at all.

They had those stickers in New York when we Sailed out from there....we were in a group of 11 cabins most of us arriving at the same time...one platinum couple and we all got the FTTF stickers because of some nice tips....I wonder how many others did as well ....and who says you cant bribe a New Yorker :D

Edited by woodey

Luggage handlers will need to put the extra ORANGE tag on your luggage if you qualify for Priority luggage delivery.

It will not be delivered early without it.

AND you need to stand there and physically watch them put the orange tags on.

We tipped David very well and made sure he knew we needed the orange tags (saw them hanging on the luggage cart) and reminded him twice that he would need to put the orange tags on.. (which means if they do not to this....you do not get this benefit you have earned OR paid for with FTTF).

This was at the Early Luggage collection. David assured me that he would put the orange tags on TWICE...and still did not do it.

Simple solution would be not to tip until you actually see the stickers on your bags...

My last cruise out of Charleston (and my first since they implemented FTTF there), I stood and waited while the orange stickers were added. It only took about an extra minute.

I stood and waited in San Juan, too.

I plan on standing and waiting on Sunday in Baltimore! ;)

Not that I'm in THAT much of a hurry to unpack, but I do like to get it out of the way.

Charleston is a unique animal when it comes to boarding because of their very limited facilities (but I personally think they do an excellent job, given those limitations). I'm always so anxious to board but then end up getting on a shuttle and sitting and waiting for it to fill anyway. So the little extra time to ensure the stickers were affixed didn't really slow us down at all.

Yes, they do a good job considering what they have to work with.

I was mentally prepared for the 2 hour wait in the car (11:15am to 1:15pm)....

btw, since we had to wait until 1:15pm to park, there really was not any Priority check in. No priority until after you get through Security. Our check in line was just as long as the other regular lines...so folks who took a taxi or bus, were on before we were.

I gave a great report on my Carnival Comment Card about Mabel (Carnival Rep inside the terminal). After the 2 hour wait in the car and the lines through Security and checking in, our son was getting antsy (he has Autism)...so Mabel allowed us to use the handicap entrance to the ship which really eliminated a lot of hassle.

She was very helpful....

Simple solution would be not to tip until you actually see the stickers on your bags...

THAT is a GREAT IDEA!!!!

(that I will definitely follow, because we tip at least $7 for 3 bags...more if they are heavy)

2 hours waiting in the car!!!!!!????

What brand of he** is Charleston? And I thought Long Beach was bad.

Like the idea of permanent Priority tag. But then I'm sure we'd see the for sale on eBay.

Edited by SadieN

We had no experience sailing out of Charleston since this was our first time there....

but I had done some research and understood that since this port is not set up for cruise ships....they have some logistics issues.

They do really well for the issues that they have to deal with. Everyone has to be out of the warehouse before they can start allowing new cars in because the lanes exiting cross the lanes entering.

They have a lot of zigzagging the lanes to get as many cars off the street as possible while waiting to park.

The good news is that they have the land and design for a new cruise port built specifically for cruising .... so hopefully that will eliminate these issues.

Charleston is a cool place as well. We spent a few days there before we boarded the ship.

We've only had the orange tape put on our bags, not a tag.

But we don't really care if we get our luggage early. I always have cloths to wear to dinner in my carry on. We don't usually unpack until the next morning. I'm not much of a sleeper past 4am and there really isn't much to do at that time of the morning.

Although I can drive to the port the day of sailing, I still always go down a day early (partly because I just LOVE Charleston (and need my Shrimp & Grits!!)), and partly because it's just easier to stay at a hotel with a cruise parking option. There aren't any in the historic district but are several further out.

Parking options are also very limited and because of the limitations at the port, they can't begin shuttling people over to the terminal or really begin parking until the majority of departing passengers are on their way.

For those of you sailing from Charleston, bobsfamily and others have provided a wealth of info in a thread over on the East Coast Departures board. Also plenty of useful hints in the All Things Fantasy thread (if I must say so myself (I started it several years ago ;))).

Although I can drive to the port the day of sailing, I still always go down a day early (partly because I just LOVE Charleston (and need my Shrimp & Grits!!)), and partly because it's just easier to stay at a hotel with a cruise parking option. There aren't any in the historic district but are several further out.

Parking options are also very limited and because of the limitations at the port, they can't begin shuttling people over to the terminal or really begin parking until the majority of departing passengers are on their way.

For those of you sailing from Charleston, bobsfamily and others have provided a wealth of info in a thread over on the East Coast Departures board. Also plenty of useful hints in the All Things Fantasy thread (if I must say so myself (I started it several years ago ;))).

That thread helped me prepare for my Fantasy cruise in February. I made sure the Orange sticker was put on my bag before boarding the shuttle. My bag almost beat me to my cabin!

Since it was North Carolina's Spring Break, most of the ship was from there and I have to say that they were an AWESOME group to sail with.

Had a blast!!!

The coolest thing that was that a Travel Agent from Myrtle Beach that I met on Cruise Critic and have chatted with regularly for 10 years (but never sailed with) already had this cruise booked...and I did not know it.

So cool to get to meet him!!

We've only had the orange tape put on our bags, not a tag.

But we don't really care if we get our luggage early. I always have cloths to wear to dinner in my carry on. We don't usually unpack until the next morning. I'm not much of a sleeper past 4am and there really isn't much to do at that time of the morning.

Janey:

You are correct....

it is orange tape that sticks together like the airlines use for the luggage.

They are individual tags though and not from a roll..... so I am going to laminate a couple and put them on my bags permanently.

(That was a suggestion from a porter we have known for years in New Orleans.)

Wow. I haven't read a single good thing about cruising out of Charleston on this board.

Thanks for sharing your experience with us, LHP.

Really? A single good thing? Have you bothered to read the All Things Fantasy thread?

There's plenty that is good about sailing from Charleston (including the beautiful old town itself).

So the port facilities are old and small. They do a really good job with what they have.

Some of us love the ship and love sailing from Charleston and will continue to do so as often as possible. I was booked on her for the 5/6 sailing but moved to the 5/4 Pride. I'm sort of sad I won't be on her. I'm just going to have to squeeze in a Fantasy cruise this year. I can't imagine going all year without a visit to Charleston and a cruise on Fantasy!

Wow. I haven't read a single good thing about cruising out of Charleston on this board.

Thanks for sharing your experience with us, LHP.

2 hours waiting in the car!!!!!!????

What brand of he** is Charleston? And I thought Long Beach was bad.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1182074&page=63

63 pages of mostly good stuff about the ship and the port.

Suffice it to say that Charleston's boarding is unique and can be entertaining if you go with the flow. I am dropped off but have been caught in the endless line before and it's no worse than being at PC and having to wait in a 40 minute (or longer) security line.

Since you are shuttled to the port they can limit the amount of people entering the terminal which stops the huge backlog at security. Come sail out of a wonderful city!

OMG!! I'm going for the Shrimp & Grits too. This time I may try Patriots Pt for it since we'll be staying at Quality over there.

So what is the general consensus on parking at the terminal? I'm torn between shuttle from hotel or parking at the terminal. Is the line that bad, or just exaggerated. I know there was a line up just for taxi limos in Cape Liberty, I can't see it being worse than that.

Edited by sammee

So what is the general consensus on parking at the terminal? I'm torn between shuttle from hotel or parking at the terminal. Is the line that bad, or just exaggerated. I know there was a line up just for taxi limos in Cape Liberty, I can't see it being worse than that.

One thing that has happened lately is that the Fantasy does not dock until just before 8am. It used to dock at 6am and people were getting off by 7 or sometimes even earlier. You could get in line around 10 to 10:15 and drop off luggage... sometimes the parking garage would open at 11am and sometimes earlier. Now you still can get in line by 10:30 to 11am but the garage may not be cleared til noon or possibly later, so the line can get long. Personally I would suggest the shuttle if you are doing a park and cruise rate. You are already paying a higher fee for the parking and shuttle. You could also ask what the room rate would be without the parking and shuttle.