St. Thomas or St. John??

Cruising to St. Thomas on the NOS in September. We stop at St. Thomas, but most of the posts I've read say to take the ferry over to St. John because it has the best beaches (we're looking for quiet beaches,trees, great water and a good place to snorkel. What do you guys think? St. Thomas or St. John? Is the ferry or time an issue - you know, don't want to watch the boat pull away.

Jim

St John hands down. In six trips I've only seen Trunk Bay very moderately crowded once. And wave action only once. Gorgeous and peaceful.

If shopping is your interest then of course St Thomas is for you. Check out the Ports of Call board. Ask the taxi driver to stop at the top of the hill before Trunk Bay for pics. That scene is in many many tourist mags and ads.

I agree - St. John. We had been to St. Thomas several times and finally went to St. John last year. Trunk Bay was sooooooo beautiful and almost deserted when we were there too. We took the ship's tour which only gave us an hour and half there but no worry about missing a ferry that way. Enjoy!

Another vote for Trunk Bay. We went on our own... took a taxi to the ferry, took the ferry, another taxi to Trunk Bay... what a beautiful beach!!! Just amazing!!!! Best snorkling I have ever experienced. It wasn't very crowded when we were there, but we got there an hour or so before any of the ship excursions did. We found the ferry to be very reliable and on time!!!! We didn't push it and wait for the last one though. Enjoy your trip.

I loooove St. John and do agree that Trunk Bay is beautiful... but the past three times I have been to St. John, I have opted for Cinnamon Bay or Hawksnest...which are less crowded. You can't go wrong though -- every beach on St. John is beyond breathtaking!

I loooove St. John and do agree that Trunk Bay is beautiful... but the past three times I have been to St. John, I have opted for Cinnamon Bay or Hawksnest...which are less crowded. You can't go wrong though -- every beach on St. John is beyond breathtaking!

How is the snorkling at Cinnamon Bay?

Yes, how is the snorkelling at Trunk, Cinnamon and Hawksnest? Is one better or easier than the other (I mean, do you have to swim out really far?)? I heard that Hawksnest is cool because you don't have to go out far to get to a good reef.

Yes, how is the snorkelling at Trunk, Cinnamon and Hawksnest? Is one better or easier than the other (I mean, do you have to swim out really far?)? I heard that Hawksnest is cool because you don't have to go out far to get to a good reef.

Trunk Bay was no problem snorkeling. My kids did just fine and they were only 8 and 10 at the time. You didn't have to go out far... There was an underwater trail with markers telling you what you were looking at etc!!!!!!!!! It was very nice!!!!!!!!

You can snorkel straight from the beach at Trunk, Cinnamon and Hawksnet... and I agree with hdawson... I am glad there are no water sports available... that's what makes St. John so wonderful!

We have been to St. Thomas twice. The first time we went to Megan's Bay, which is also very beautiful and was once voted one of the 10 most beautiful beaches in the world. On our most recent visit we went to St. John to Trunk Bay. It was worth the trip. We took a taxi to Red Hook, then the ferry, and then a taxi to the bay. We arrived before all of the ship excursions, which I think do a sight seeing tour before they go to Trunk Bay. Both Megan's and Trunk offer amenities, i.e. restrooms with showers, food and drink, snorkel equipment rentals, and both charge a fee. I'm not sure what Cinnamon or Hawks Nest have to offer. I'm not a snorkeler so I can't help you there but I don't think you can go wrong either way.

I think the excursion only allows an hour and a half to two hours at Trunk Bay. That's just not long enough. The fee is $4.00 for entry. If you need to rent snorkle equipment I think the rental is $4.00 plus deposit. All operated by the national park service. I personally don't like traveling on a tour with a herd or being so limited in time. So easy to do it on your own.

If you want to tour the island of St. Thomas I would not rcommend also going over to St. John as that can make for a very hectic day. But if your plans are to go to the beach at St. Thomas then I would highly recommend going over to St. John instead. It is a much more relaxing atmosphere. Cinnamon Bay is my favorite beach there but they are all beautiful with crystal clear blue water.

Archived