Embarkation delayed??

FUNGIRLS

Hi everyone,

so just received an email from Carnival stating that they will not start boarding till 1 on Sunday, the Carnival Glory that is coming from Belize is expected to run behind schedule (because of additional document screening measures), and that check in for us is scheduled between 1-3. Has this happened to anyone? Should we just not come till 1 and hang out in Miami still? Do they just say that to stop a whole heap of people trying to board at once? We do have fttf :)

Hi everyone,

so just received an email from Carnival stating that they will not start boarding till 1 on Sunday, the Carnival Glory that is coming from Belize is expected to run behind schedule (because of additional document screening measures), and that check in for us is scheduled between 1-3. Has this happened to anyone? Should we just not come till 1 and hang out in Miami still? Do they just say that to stop a whole heap of people trying to board at once? We do have fttf :)

There's a "small" chance it is correct.....but we have been receiving the delayed e-mails for at least a year now so I would think this is a crowd control attempt.

We just go to the terminal like we normally do......we are usually onboard by 11:30.

Edited by GTO-Girl

What answer do you want? Show up as you please but the delays can be real, lengthy and not under control of Carnival. The amenities are few in port. So if you show up, ate delayed, no complaints..

I just wanted to see if anyone received a message like this and what their experience was, I'll be on vacation and I'll take everything with a grain of salt :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I haven't experienced it, but I've read many accounts of people getting the email, delaying their arrival and the arrival hall being swamped with a 2 hour wait. So, while it might be true, it also might just be to try and spread out when everyone arrives at the port.

I've gotten them on our last two cruises and I got one for a cruise I wasn't even booked on. They are trying to cut down on the surge they get at the terminal around 11 clock. They have delays but those are usually caused by docking late due to fog or bad weather. Getting on board is like Atlanta rush hour traffic. Leave at 7am and get to work at 9 or wait until 8:15 and still get there at 9.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These emails are pretty common and in most instances Carnival is hoping to control crowding issues at the terminal. But, recently Customs has been focusing a lot of attention to ships that have stopped in Belize causing delays in the ship being cleared for debarking passengers.

So in your case the email probably has some merit. It's still up to you on what time to arrive at the terminal but be prepared to wait awhile if you get there early.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

These emails are pretty common and in most instances Carnival is hoping to control crowding issues at the terminal. But, recently Customs has been focusing a lot of attention to ships that have stopped in Belize causing delays in the ship being cleared for debarking passengers.

So in your case the email probably has some merit. It's still up to you on what time to arrive at the terminal but be prepared to wait awhile if you get there early.

A few months back, there were questions about CBP clearance, and I saw something on a government site (can't find it now, too lazy to continue looking), about the "modified" clearance (read cursory glance at you) procedures for Caribbean cruises. One note was that Belize is specifically not included in these procedures, due to the lack of cooperation with CBP in regards to sharing their data. So, it may be that the cruise terminals have received instructions to tighten up the clearance protocols for cruises that call at Belize. Agree that for some cruises, this is a traffic control idea, but when they mention things like increased CBP screening or a USCG inspection, there is some validity to it, whether or not there is an actual delay.

Hi everyone,

Last summer on the Liberty, we got that letter, we showed up at our usual time of 10:30 and we did not start boarding until 1PM. Would it stop me from showing up early, probably not, just for the chance that we would get onboard at the usual time.

When the email gives a specific reason for the delay, then it is probably more than just the usual "crowd control" email and the embarkation will actually start later than usual.

Some of us sailing Sunday got one but the times shown were the "usual" (short-ish) embarkation hours for Pride.

I would believe them in your case. I personally don't want to rush to the port and then sit around for hours packed in the terminal. They may begin earlier than stated, but they could begin even later.

So many people just blow it all off (both this and the recommended flight times on debarkation day). Things do happen and just because most of us have never experienced it doesn't mean it doesn't ever happen.

You've been informed so just make your decision. Whatever happens, hope you enjoy your cruise!

They were specific about why delayed boarding. Other notices are more generic and attempting to spread the boarding out.

A few months back, there were questions about CBP clearance, and I saw something on a government site (can't find it now, too lazy to continue looking), about the "modified" clearance (read cursory glance at you) procedures for Caribbean cruises. One note was that Belize is specifically not included in these procedures, due to the lack of cooperation with CBP in regards to sharing their data. So, it may be that the cruise terminals have received instructions to tighten up the clearance protocols for cruises that call at Belize. Agree that for some cruises, this is a traffic control idea, but when they mention things like increased CBP screening or a USCG inspection, there is some validity to it, whether or not there is an actual delay.

I think I would tend to go along with this.

I Googled it and saw that this notification has been going on for a while. Most people are reporting that embarkation was not affected. But the potential for delay still exists since it is up to Customs how things proceed. Here is one example.

http://www.carnival.co.uk/Funville/forums/p/310708/1603985.aspx

I guess if you don't mind waiting and understand that you might not be able to enter the terminal early, then go early and see what happens.

Edited by winddawn

For me, my arrival time is largely based on the checkout time at the hotel. Sleep in, get a nice leisurely breakfast, one last walk on the beach, then check out and get a cab to the port. Arriving after 10:30 usually gives everyone leaving time to get off the ship and mostly clear the port. Arriving before 11:00 gets us through the lines before the shuttle busses start arriving. In most cases boarding usually started between 11:30 and 11:45.

For me, my arrival time is largely based on the checkout time at the hotel. Sleep in, get a nice leisurely breakfast, one last walk on the beach, then check out and get a cab to the port. Arriving after 10:30 usually gives everyone leaving time to get off the ship and mostly clear the port. Arriving before 11:00 gets us through the lines before the shuttle busses start arriving. In most cases boarding usually started between 11:30 and 11:45.

That sounds about right :) we have Fttf so I'm not too worried..just glad to be going on vacation!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums