Budget Queen...hotel in Denali???

LHP

Hi! I have been meaning to write you since we returned and ask you if you are familiar with what looked like a hotel at the top of a very very high bluff in the commercial area just north of Denali Park. As you come in from the south this building is on the right with the Mt McKinley Chalet (again - they need to work on their definitions---but I degress) being on the left slightly past it.

We never saw a road up to it (that we could find.)

Any ideas if it is a hotel or lodge and if so, the name.

Thanks - already getting info for our next trip up!!!

Hi,

It is the Grand Denali and the road is a dirt road and hard to find.

a great property if you get a view room

Certainly that's a subjective opinion, but we stayed there 7/23-7/24 at the tail end of a cruise. Mediocre at best would be our definition. The housekeeping staff is primarily euopean students whose command of English is limited.

On Saturday upon checking in we found there was no Kleenex in the room. We asked for a box and were told thaty did not have any. We asked again on Sunday AM and still no Kleenex. I went down to the desk later and was given a box of Kleenex.

The rooms are Motel 6 like, but the view is spectacular, probably the best in town. A major issue is that you need to take either the shuttle (once and hour) or the park bus (once an hour) to get down to the town. It's much to steep to hike down unless perhaps you're in your 30's or 40's and in great shape, and the hike up could be a real 911 event, unless yoou are super fit.

The front desk staff is modestly helpful even on the most routine things.

The prices in the restaurant are excessivly high and the service, as already mentioned is slow.

The Mt McKinley Chalet looked nice with a reasonaby priced restaurant and coffee shoppe and you can walk to everthing becasue it is in the flat land. We ate at the Mckiney on night 2

The Princess looks really nice as well.

There's a great pizza joint between the McKinley and the Princess, Lynx Pizza. Order a small if there are just two of you. Sort of across the street from the pizza joint is Bubs Subs. Get the Philly Cheese Steak. Both of the places seem to follow the Alaskan feeding philosophy that you may not have eaten in the past two days, and may not eat again for the next two.:rolleyes:

We stayed there 2 nights as part of our land pre tour before our Vision of the Seas cruise earlier in July. The rooms are great! The service in the dining room is poor most of the time. Breakfast is buffet style, and very expensive if you don't want the full meal; One morning, the cook didn't show up and therefore there was no odering off the menu- take the buffet or leave it. I guess someone did mix up scrambled eggs for the buffet with sausage, breads etc..$14.95, or just danish, fruit and cold cereal for $9.95. Although they said coffee, and milk were additional, I don't recall being charged for them. We were on a tight schedule with excursions planned for both evenings, so were " captive" as to where we could eat and didn't have time to take the shuttle to the bottom of the hill to choose another place to eat. :-( Shuttle runs about every half hour up the hairpin type dirt road to the hotel only until 8pm, after that it runs about every hour. ( not convenient if you just missed it) Some of our group decided to try and hike up- which was tiring and dirty to say the least.

it does look very nice from the road...however, at $255.00 a night I was disappointed.

The rooms are nothing more that mobile modular units placed on top of one another and then surrounded by wood. If someone advertises a suite in a chalet, then that is what you should get. They knew we had 4 people in our party.

The "bedroom" was small and cramped. There was one double bed on one wall and a single bed (with 2 pillows on it, like that was going to magically make it into a double) on the other wall ... with little room between them.

My oldest son (6' 2") ended up sleeping in that is laughingly called a living room (the size of my closet at home) on a very uncomfortable sofa bed.

There is a bath between the "living room" and bedroom.

If you do get stuck there, make sure you get a top room (unless listening to every step made is your idea of fun). The people above us were very respectful....there was no jumping on beds are running around the room...but just the normal walking was a constant irritant. And the first time the folks above (again just doing normal things) flushed the toilet...I thought the pipes has bust and it was flooding into our cabin. That is how loud it was.

Again, we were blessed with people above us that were normal respectful folk. However, as we were coming back from dinner, we did see a bus load of college kids getting off at our "stop". Thank goodness they went to the other side of the area and were not in our section. Even if they were on their best behavior...just being college age, I can't imagine anyone under them would get any sleep.

The exterior surrounding area is beautiful. Parking is a joke. This is definately set up for buses that unload a group for a night or two and then they never have to see them again...so why try. The bottom line is that it is all symbolism and no substance. They know they have a monopoly and they take full advantage of it.

I am sad to hear that the Lodge on the hill isn't any better. We will be returning one day and I was hoping for a better place to stay.

>>I am sad to hear that the Lodge on the hill isn't any better. We will be returning one day and I was hoping for a better place to stay.<<

Try the McKinley Village - a very nice large hotel 6 miles south of "Glitter Gulch", right on the bank of the Nenana River. I see at TripAdvisor that reviews of the hotel vary widely, though. Or there are many smaller properties - cabins and B&Bs.

Murray

Hi,

It is the Grand Denali and the road is a dirt road and hard to find.

a great property if you get a view room

Certainly that's a subjective opinion, but we stayed there 7/23-7/24 at the tail end of a cruise. Mediocre at best would be our definition. The housekeeping staff is primarily euopean students whose command of English is limited.

On Saturday upon checking in we found there was no Kleenex in the room. We asked for a box and were told thaty did not have any. We asked again on Sunday AM and still no Kleenex. I went down to the desk later and was given a box of Kleenex.

The rooms are Motel 6 like, but the view is spectacular, probably the best in town. A major issue is that you need to take either the shuttle (once and hour) or the park bus (once an hour) to get down to the town. It's much to steep to hike down unless perhaps you're in your 30's or 40's and in great shape, and the hike up could be a real 911 event, unless yoou are super fit.

The front desk staff is modestly helpful even on the most routine things.

The prices in the restaurant are excessivly high and the service, as already mentioned is slow.

The Mt McKinley Chalet looked nice with a reasonaby priced restaurant and coffee shoppe and you can walk to everthing becasue it is in the flat land. We ate at the Mckiney on night 2

The Princess looks really nice as well.

There's a great pizza joint between the McKinley and the Princess, Lynx Pizza. Order a small if there are just two of you. Sort of across the street from the pizza joint is Bubs Subs. Get the Philly Cheese Steak. Both of the places seem to follow the Alaskan feeding philosophy that you may not have eaten in the past two days, and may not eat again for the next two.:rolleyes:

We are going to be at the McKinlley Village Lodge - some of you have kindly commented on the place.

Questions dujour - You mention above Lynx Pizza and Bubs Subs. Are wither of these places within walking distance of the McKinley Village Lodge?

If not - What would you recomend for dinner. One thought was the Cabin Night Dinner - but frankly I can think of better places to spend $100.

We are going to be at the McKinlley Village Lodge - some of you have kindly commented on the place.

Questions dujour - You mention above Lynx Pizza and Bubs Subs. Are wither of these places within walking distance of the McKinley Village Lodge?

If not - What would you recomend for dinner. One thought was the Cabin Night Dinner - but frankly I can think of better places to spend $100.

These are in Glitter Gulch, so no not walkable. I think the hotel has a shuttle however?? Cabin Night is great with a toursaver coupon.

I'll agree with slomotion on Grande Denali -- cheapo motel with a nice facade and a great view. Our bathroom was not cleaned before we arrived, and that was very clear (floor sticky, hair on the floor, water stains all over mirror, only one towel, etc.). Seems that housekeeper was distracted and never finished the job. We did enjoy a drink at the bar with a killer view.

We ate at the Princess lodge, and while it looks very nice, I didn't see inside a room so cannot say whether they are any better.

I don't want to start a debate here but, we were just there (7/23-7/24).

The pizza joint is between McKinlley Village and the Princes and is no more than a 5 minute walk. We did it and we are active 60's. Bub's Subs is across the street from the Princess. This is literally across the highway at the light right in front of the Princess.

Al

>>I don't want to start a debate here but, we were just there (7/23-7/24).

The pizza joint is between McKinlley Village and the Princes and is no more than a 5 minute walk.<<

Sorry, but you're wrong - it's between the Princess and McKinley Chalet hotels - McKinley Village is 6 miles away.

Murray

>>I don't want to start a debate here but, we were just there (7/23-7/24).

The pizza joint is between McKinlley Village and the Princes and is no more than a 5 minute walk.<<

Sorry, but you're wrong - it's between the Princess and McKinley Chalet hotels - McKinley Village is 6 miles away.

Murray

:o whoops, I confused the McKinley Chalet with the McKinley Village.

mea culpa, :o:o:o:o

:o whoops, I confused the McKinley Chalet with the McKinley Village.

mea culpa, :o:o:o:o

We are in our 60's and not quite that active as in 6 mile hikes <g>

Any place near McKinley Village you would recommend OR

is there transportation to Lynx Pizza.

I figure this is going to be Day 2 we will have just gotten off the bus from Talkeetna, Jetlag Stupid and running on pure adrenaline. I know there are

better meals waiting for us in Girdwood and certainly on the ship so I don;t have to stuff myself in the Alaska version of the Disneyworld Ripoff.

As most of you have indicated $255 a night for a "mobilehome surrounded by logs" is not luxury accomodations.

I would imagine food is much the same.

>>As most of you have indicated $255 a night for a "mobilehome surrounded by logs" is not luxury accomodations. I would imagine food is much the same.<<

I can't argue with that statement, unfortunately. Often the food is good but you very seldom get great food and great service in the same place.

The meals at the McKinley Village restaurant, or in their quiet lounge, are as good as anything in Glitter Gulch - food at Denali River Cabins next door is much cheaper, in a corner-cafe sort of atmosphere. There are shuttles to the Lynx Creek Pizza area, though.

Murray

>>...what is a good hotel/lodge in Denali area?<<

I stay at the McKinley Village whenever possible, largely because I HATE Glitter Gulch. The only problem at the McKinley Village is that if you get a room in Buildings 1 through 3, it can be noisy as they're by the bus loading areas. Way back in the new buildings (#5 and higher), it's nice and quiet, especially if you can get the river side of the building. The lounge is seldom used, so that's usually where I eat. Many people prefer B&Bs or cabins at Denali, but I don't like B&Bs and live in a cabin, so hotels are my choice in any case - your mileage may vary.

Murray

Denali Backcountry Lodge has a wide range of accommodation types - the brand-new riverfront cabins are beautiful (I was there 2 weeks ago) but there are also some older units that looked much less interesting. I stayed at Denali Cabins a month ago - the cabins are tiny and poorly equipped (no chair, table, bed light, extremely small bathroom), but the hot tub is nice. The attitude in the restaurant was awful, prices very high and servings very small (but superb quality). The other side of that is that the cabins are relatively cheap (in a Denali sort of way!), but the property is pinched between the highway and an airstrip so noise may be a factor if you're at either end.

Murray

Murray - We used your guide two weeks ago to Emerald Lake, it was great, thanks! We're returning to Alaska next year & want to see Denali, so what is a good hotel/lodge in Denali area?

There are some good B&B's to consider if of interest? With Touch of Wilderness my top pick. :)

For a bargain the Denali Park Hotel is very nice.

FYI, I just got off the phone with the reservations manager at Denali Cabins and starting next season they are not taking reservations from individuals but will only be offering accomodations with a 3 three nite/ 4 day package. This thread got me looking for rooms and they looked really nice, but we need rooms for just two nites! I'll keep looking.

I agree with Budget Queen, the Touch of Wilderness was wonderful!! My whole family including my hard to please 16 yr old son just loved the place. WE just got back from Alaska on the 27th. Barb and Tim are great hosts,we stayed in the Emerald room that slept 4 and had its own bath. Check it out!!

I agree with Budget Queen, the Touch of Wilderness was wonderful!! My whole family including my hard to please 16 yr old son just loved the place. WE just got back from Alaska on the 27th. Barb and Tim are great hosts,we stayed in the Emerald room that slept 4 and had its own bath. Check it out!!

For clairfication, all rooms at Touch of Wilderness have private baths, also don't forget the hot tub. :) Even used it one winter trip. Yep, cold run back inside but the photos were worth it.

Just returned from Alaska on Monday. We stayed 2 nights at Denali Lakeview Inn. Absolutely the best place we stayed in Alaska. They have 19 rooms, all of which have a balcony with great view of Lake Otto. The beds are comfy, the manager and owner are extremely helpful, and they place a yummy breakfast in your fridge every day. They are located in Healy which is about 10 to 15 minutes from the park entrance, so a car is necessary.

Our first night in the Denali area we stayed at Denali Lakeside Lodging. We stayed here because the Lakeview Inn was full the 1st night. They are also located on Lake Otto, although all rooms do not have a view. It was a clean nice place, but given the choice I would stay at the Lakeview Inn. One really nice thing is that some rooms have full kitchens, or at least kitchen access, which would be nice if you were interested in cooking your own meals. Once again, they are also located in Healy which is about 10 to 15 minutes from the park entrance, so a car is necessary

Archived