Space Bags or Ziploc Freezer Bags?

mdmomof7

What about just using that? I have friends who love them and maybe I should just get one and then return the space bags? We have a large family and deep freeze things when there's a good sale. I think a food sealer is supposed to keep it fresher, longer?

What are you using them for? Is this for your cruise, or for general use?

Ziplocs are best for relatively short-term food storage. Space bags are primarily used to save space by compacing clothing to take up as little space as possible. Vacuum sealers are usually used for long-term food storage, with the primary idea being to seal out air and preserve freshness.

In my experience, Space bags start to leak small amounts of air almost immediately. You take your clothing out of storage after a couple of months, and its got as much air in it as it would had you used a conventional plastic bag. Of course, the benefit is that had you used a conventional bag, you never would have been able to fit it into whatever suitcase you did end up being able to fit it into...

If SpaceBags are the brand that requires a vaccuum hose to suck the air out, I would not suggest these for travel. I've always wanted such a thing but realized I would not have easy access to a vaccuum cleaner and hose while traveling, only long enough to stuff it all into the suitcase before leaving home.

There are also some bags with one way valves, for lack of a better description. You put the clothes in, seal it up and roll the bags and clothes to send all of the air to other end where it exits through these one-way valves. I bought one once and was really excited about it. We put my DH's sport coat in and it really compacted it. However, after about 3 or 4 uses, I felt the one-way valve end of the bag was wearing out and not keeping the airtight seal as well as it did when new. For the price of this bag, to wear out after only a few uses was not good enough for me.

Ever since then I've been using the 2-gallon (I think) size of Ziplocs (or some comparable brand) with the zipper on them. I can't say they compress as well as a SpaceBag, but they sure do keep me organized!

I am not a fan of the Space Bags. I find that they tear / puncture rather easily and poof back up. I like that Zip Lock bags have a little more "stretch" to them versus the material the space bags are made of. Again, I would only use the zip locks for small items like undies. And honestly, more because I don't want TSA to have their paws all over my undies rather than for space. The extra space is a bonus for me. :D

As far as the vacuum situation goes. A few extra dollars to your cabin steward or stewardess will have the sucking the air out of the space bags. So there is no reason not to use them.

You can also pack a favorite pillow for the comforts of home in a very small space.

Just my opinion.

mcboo:)

It could compress my comfy pillow? I was worried about not having it! You'd think I was 9! lol!!!

All but 3 of the Space Bags are the ones which require a vaccuum cleaner to suction out the air. Three are roll up style and are large. They claim that each of the 2 "suitcase" bags holds 2 jackets, 2 sweaters, 2 shirts. The 1 "carry-on" bag holds 2 blouses, 1 jacket and 1 sweater. 15 assorted sizes for $23. The 2 gallon ziplocs are 10 for $4. Big price difference. But big claim on amount of storage you get w/ space bags.

Here's the break down of the sizes on the Space Bags:

3 roll up large bags - detailed above

4 medium bags - each holds 8-10 sweaters!

4 large bags - each holds 10-12 sweaters

3 extra large bags - each holds up to one queen size bedding set plus 2 pillows!!!

1 jumbo bag - holds 2 bedding sets plus 4 pillows!

I think I need to put my entire house in one of these bags! We have 9 people, seven bedrooms, and way too much clothing and bedding! lol!! :p

I got the travel space bags to take to Europe (the kind that roll up) and they worked great. Before I packed, I just practised using them to make sure I was using them correctly and they really helped me fit everything into my suitcase. Just don't try it with jeans! I probably got 5 or 6 shirts in a space bag, depending on the shirts.

I have used both the space bags that you roll to get the air out and the ziploc bags. Both work about equal. The space bags have started to leak air. I know most of the wives out there pack for their husbands. Go ahead admit it, you do. I tried to get him to do his own packing in January and he had shirts that didn't go with pants and visa versa. Took ivory dress pants and no white underwear. Guess I taught him a lesson.:D Well, on the last cruise I used the 2 1/2 gallon ziploc bags to pack.(daytime clothes) One pair of shorts, the matching shirt, socks and underwear. Just like the garanimal clothes they used to have for kids. You remember ? Match the animals and those clothes went together. Well, it worked. No more of " what shirt goes with these ?" everyday.

We use the roll-up space bags for any travel, but ONLY on our way home. That helps us to keep from overpacking and gives us room for souvenirs. Also, we don't worry about wrinkled clothes when we're coming home.

Caution: because space bags give you so much more room, you run the risk of your suitcase becoming too heavy for the airlines and you'll end up paying big bucks for an overweight bag.

Lesson: DON"T OVERPACK!!!! And I'm usually much more guilty than my wife. Actually, I've already started to plan what I'm taking on our November cruise...and I'm NOT going to overpack...repeat, I'm NOT going to overpack!

I have used both the space bags that you roll to get the air out and the ziploc bags. Both work about equal. The space bags have started to leak air. I know most of the wives out there pack for their husbands. Go ahead admit it, you do. I tried to get him to do his own packing in January and he had shirts that didn't go with pants and visa versa. Took ivory dress pants and no white underwear. Guess I taught him a lesson.:D Well, on the last cruise I used the 2 1/2 gallon ziploc bags to pack.(daytime clothes) One pair of shorts, the matching shirt, socks and underwear. Just like the garanimal clothes they used to have for kids. You remember ? Match the animals and those clothes went together. Well, it worked. No more of " what shirt goes with these ?" everyday.

This is so funny! I was just talking to my DH the other day about how I love this packing system (I pack for myself just the way you packed for your DH- all the right underthings, socks, top and appropriate bottoms in one bag) and asked why he would not try it. His answer: Reminds him of Garanimals!

• 7 months later...

someone said to bribe a cabin steward with some money to borrow a vaccum cleaner to pack suitcase for going home...does anyone actually try this? I really am interested in doing that if it will help a great deal...

I am having aniexty over this issue of packing suitcases for 8 people (two parents with 6 kids age 19 to 7) for a alaska cruise in 6 weeks!!! We are stuffing 4 to a OV cabin each and it is tiny room!

I need to do it well for winter/spring layering. Anyone have a list of alaska what to wear that I can look over?

Lori, Alaska packing hints: wear your Polartec lined jacket, jeans, cotton shirt and sweater or sweatshirt when traveling. Pack coordinating dark colors; black, navy & tan for pants- jeans, slacks, 1 pr. shorts just in case. Plan on layering daytime port of call outfits; Jeans/Slacks with tights for girls, socks for guys; cotton turtlenecks or SS jerseys; sweatshirt or sweater. Most of these can be worn more than once and coordinated with each other. The sweatshirts bought in ship gift shirts are great. Wear either a heavy rubber soled tie shoe or leather sneakers for day trips. Use your sneakers as well at the gym. Don't forget a knit hat or headband and gloves for glacier viewing or walking. Forget the raingear but do bring an umbrella just in case. Keep evening wear simple with one pair of strapy sandals for each female and one pair of black dress shoes for each male. Buy plastic clips at Walmart and rinse out Cotton tops as needed as well as undies and socks and hang in your shower.

Bon Voyage

Archived