Best Shore excursions for Portland and St. John's Bay?

music lover 66

Sounds like great advice, just 1 question, is the town in walking distance from where the ship docks?

The ship docks right downtown. You are in the "waterfront" district, which is only a block or so wide, the length of the harbor. Next to that, uphill is the "Old Port" district. Still many old buildings around, including one on Exchange street that has a cannon ball embedded in it from the War of 1812. Continuing uphill are the "Government" district (City hall and the Longfellow house), and to the west the "Arts" district (Victorian mansion and art museum). To the east is Munjoy hill with the observatory and the Eastern Promenade, with a view across Casco Bay. All are within walking distance, but be forewarned that the cobblestone sidewalks can be treacherous for those not paying attention or unsteady on their feet.

If you are a foodie, there are plenty of fine restaurants in the downtown area, serving virtually any kind of cuisine. DeMillo's has been resting on its laurels for decades, I would not recommend it. Boone's used to be a popular but tacky place right on the piers, but since the new owner has re-opened it as the "Oyster Room at Boone's" the food and atmosphere is great. This is the same owner as the "Front Room" (Munjoy hill), "Grill Room" and "Corner Room" both in the Old Port. Google or yelp these to see the types of fare.

If you like beer, Dewey's is close to the pier, but I would recommend taking a cab to the Great Lost Bear, which has over 80 local craft brews on tap, and carries some of Sam Adam's varieties that are sold nowhere else in New England north of Boston. Food is okay for bar food.

Portland is the biggest reason that I booked my 2015 cruise (will enjoy all the other ports too, but I have been dieing to get to Maine/Portland), and I definitely will not be doing any ship's excursion here. Going to wander happily on my own. :)

Edited by SMSACE6

Will be there early October and have rented a car. Would love feedback on whether it's worth it to visit the Maine Maritime Museum in Bath? I know we can't tour inside the Iron Works shipyard since it appears they're doing construction this year but is the rest interesting enough to spend a couple hours? If we head up that way, is Yarmouth worth a stop? Of course since we'd be driving through Freeport, we'd make the requisite stop at LL Bean and then head back to the Portland area to finish off the day. We thought this might be more interesting than seeing where George and Babs live. :p

Thoughts?

Will be there early October and have rented a car. Would love feedback on whether it's worth it to visit the Maine Maritime Museum in Bath? I know we can't tour inside the Iron Works shipyard since it appears they're doing construction this year but is the rest interesting enough to spend a couple hours? If we head up that way, is Yarmouth worth a stop? Of course since we'd be driving through Freeport, we'd make the requisite stop at LL Bean and then head back to the Portland area to finish off the day. We thought this might be more interesting than seeing where George and Babs live. :p

Thoughts?

I'm a merchant seaman, so my answer would be "of course it's interesting":D There is also a boat building school there where apprentices build wooden skiffs by hand, I think that's still open in October. Not much in Yarmouth in Oct (clam festival in the summer). I'd take a right off Rte 1 in Brunswick and drive down to see Orr's and Bailey's Islands. Fort Popham and Georgetown Islands are scenic as well.

I'm a merchant seaman, so my answer would be "of course it's interesting":D There is also a boat building school there where apprentices build wooden skiffs by hand, I think that's still open in October. Not much in Yarmouth in Oct (clam festival in the summer). I'd take a right off Rte 1 in Brunswick and drive down to see Orr's and Bailey's Islands. Fort Popham and Georgetown Islands are scenic as well.

Is this the boat building program you're referring to?

http://www.mainemaritimemuseum.org/learn/boat-building/

Do you recommend the areas near Brunswick that you mention for the scenery or are there other things we should check out as well?

Thanks!

Is this the boat building program you're referring to?

http://www.mainemaritimemuseum.org/learn/boat-building/

Do you recommend the areas near Brunswick that you mention for the scenery or are there other things we should check out as well?

Thanks!

Yes, that's the current one, I believe they had one a couple years ago for older builders.

Orr's and Bailey's Islands are mostly scenic, though the lobster is good at Cook's Lobster.

The Phippsburg area and Georgetown have Five Islands Lobster Co (pretty good bugs), Fort Popham, a Civil War fort, and the Popham colony excavation, which was founded the same time as Jamestown.

Will definitely do some research on those areas before we leave to determine if we have enough daylight (ship doesn't dock in Portland until 10:00 and sunset is around 6:30). Looks like the boat building program will just be starting now so might not be much to see when we're there but we'll at least wander by since it's on a Friday.

One more question: is the trolley tour worth it since they don't take us into the BIW now? When I called, the receptionist told me that there is a video presentation and a lot of background info given that is very interesting but I don't know if it's worth the extra money.

OK, TWO more questions ;) : If we don't make it to one of the aforementioned islands, is there any place you recommend either in Bath or between there and Freeport to get some excellent bug?

Thanks again!

Barb

Will definitely do some research on those areas before we leave to determine if we have enough daylight (ship doesn't dock in Portland until 10:00 and sunset is around 6:30). Looks like the boat building program will just be starting now so might not be much to see when we're there but we'll at least wander by since it's on a Friday.

One more question: is the trolley tour worth it since they don't take us into the BIW now? When I called, the receptionist told me that there is a video presentation and a lot of background info given that is very interesting but I don't know if it's worth the extra money.

OK, TWO more questions ;) : If we don't make it to one of the aforementioned islands, is there any place you recommend either in Bath or between there and Freeport to get some excellent bug?

Thanks again!

Barb

Can't speak about the trolley, never done it. Walking Bath is nice, if the better half likes shopping.

Gillmore's in Bath is always good for picnic table style lobster. My personal favorite in the area is Jameson Tavern in Freeport, for a sit down meal.