Northern Lights....in Juneau

laughing husky

Not sure if they will be able to be seen in the next couple of weeks, but the Northern lights put on quit a show in Juneau last night....It was quit amazing for being so far south....I tried to up load a photo but can't seem to do it....but they were beautiful...however, if you have a FB, look up Sebastian Schnuelle and you will see them. He is in Juneau getting everything ready for the sled dog rides on the Herbert Glacier. He has some amazing photos of Alaska on his FB.

Thanks for the information. I know it's a long shot (and I mean like a near impossibility) but would love to see the Northern Lights on our first trip to Alaska the second week in May.

There is a free ap called Aurora Fest...It will tell you the probability on any given night....you need a smart phone or a laptop to download it....it will even give you times...more or less at what time a flare might hit earth....and if you come into Anchorage, be sure to see the Aurora show at the Performing Arts Center. It is a drop dead film that lasts about 45 minutes.....Well worth the few bucks it costs..

We happened to be up just after midnite last night here in Skagway, and the show was unite impressive.

I can remember seeing the lights in April, but tonight if I am up I will check to see if they are out in May? Now, that would be a milestone!

Trip report may follow.....

DD

We will be in Alaska from August 27 (in Fairbanks) until September 12 (Ketchikan) - in Juneau on September 10 - maybe we will get to see the Aurora ... any chances?

Who knows? You'll just have to check the forecast when it gets closer.

Not sure if they will be able to be seen in the next couple of weeks, but the Northern lights put on quit a show in Juneau last night....It was quit amazing for being so far south....I tried to up load a photo but can't seem to do it....but they were beautiful...however, if you have a FB, look up Sebastian Schnuelle and you will see them. He is in Juneau getting everything ready for the sled dog rides on the Herbert Glacier. He has some amazing photos of Alaska on his FB.

nice. Can we still see Northern lights in June?

We will be in Alaska from August 27 (in Fairbanks) until September 12 (Ketchikan) - in Juneau on September 10 - maybe we will get to see the Aurora ... any chances?

You have greater chances mainland. Especially if you are independent with a rental car, a great advantage since you need to drive out of lit areas, to get the best views. Especially if without a car in Fairbanks grossly inferior viewing within the city. But, you'll see report of people seeing the aurora. If they only had looked further their views would have blown them away. So close yet so far. :(