Experienced Cruisers...higher expectations???

happy cruzin

I wish I had found this board before my third cruise!! It has such wonderful information shared through experience. But all of this information makes me wonder...

DH and I were just talking about our first cruise. The excitement, anticipation and overwhelming feeling when the ship leaves the port for the first time. How everything was a new experience....not knowing exactly what to expect....everything was exciting and interesting.

Now that we have several cruise experiences we find ourselves just as excited as before but we go expecting a lot of things from our cruise experience. Not that we are inflexible and do not expect there to issues or concerns. But rather that our experiences have all been so wonderful we expect this one to be outstanding too.

Do you think that as we become more experienced cruisers we come to expect more? Or perhaps we tolerate less beacuse we have had good past experiences? Which could lead to some of the negative postings about the cruise not meeting the posters expectations.

Just wondered if others had similar conversations with their cruise mates??

DH and I aren't hard to please and don't usually set our expectations too high. There are some basics that we do expect, like a clean cabin and good waitstaff, but other than that we just go with the flow. Every cruise is a fascinating new experience and so far we haven't had any real complaints because of setting unreasonable expectations. :)

I know one "thing" that is absolute....the eroding of quality service cannot be stopped!

Interesting statement for your 5th post.

Just got off my 4th cruise and I don't find this statement to have any basis.

To the OP. I've found that I don't get as excited as I once did. Maybe it's because I'm more familiar with the process. I don't start packing a week in advance anymore because I know what to take and what not to bother with.

As you stated though, I also know what a good wait staff is and what an inattentive wait staff is. I also know what to expect from a decent room steward. And yes, I am a little disappointed if they are not meeting the standards that were set before them. However, for the most part, the standards continue to be high.

Yeah, it's that I sort of know what to expect. But that goes with any new adventure. And yes, some things have diminished over the years, but other things have evolved. I wish the red blue white thing would go away.We just do things a little different each cruise. We are repeating one we just took again next year. It will be different just by the fact we will be 10 instead of 3. Knowing that, we scaled our activities back a little, knowing we can fill in the cracks next year.

I found this to be true when my parents cruised with us for the first time on Carnival three years ago. They have been on Celebrity, Princess,and Royal Caribbean and the constant negative comparisons were upsetting to me. (although I did not make it known, they are in their mid-70's, it's not worth a debate). This time, we have one new cruiser, and his excitement is contagious. I am hoping this will make a difference to them this time.

My children (ages 20 and 18) and I subscribe to the theory,"you make your own fun" and your vacation is what you choose to make of it. True, poor service is not acceptable, but in most instances the problems are minor ones and there are more positives than negative.

I can't wait...5 days until the Glory!

I do believe our expectations are higher (not because we are picky) but because we do know what to expect. But with higher expectations, comes a lot more joy when those expections are not only met but exceeded.

On our Spirit cruise in July, (this being our families 12th with Carnival since 1998) we knew what to expect. We knew we would have a good time, short of the ship sinking, because cruising is our thing.

Being a repeat cruiser has its perks.

1. I don't pack until a couple of days before we leave. I have my standard 4, 5 or 7 day cruise list saved on the computer.

2. I already know what "events" I like or don't like, so no wasting time or wondering if I like that decision.

3. Seeing old acquaintances that we have sailed with on other Carnival ships both staff and passengers.

This past cruise exceeded our expectations with surprises that one was not expecting.

1. Our cabin steward was the best in the 21 cruises hubby has been on (he started when he was single)

2. The difference not sailing the Caribbean. We love the Caribbean, but Alaska held so many surprises that we had not anticipated in views and just "wonder".

3. The depth of the attention we got from Carnival being a Platinum member (which I have detailed on other posts).

Were there things that could be improved...of course. There always will be. But the more I sail with Carnival, the more I feel like I am home and that is the best way to "exceed any expectation."

I think you are all right in saying that our expectations are indeed higher not becuase we are picky, but rather because we are used to the process. My boyfriend and I experienced this feeling on our recent Glory cruise. We had a wonderful time and would cruise the Glory again, however we noticed that the excitement we had the year before on our first cruise was lacking and in some ways we were expecting this cruise to go above and beyond the previous one. I enjoyed watching the "newbies" throughout the week and almost envied them to an extent. However, as all of you have said, a vacation is what you make of it, so even though the original excitement you felt on your first cruise is missing, you can still have a great or even better time the next time around. ;)

I have been married 33 years to the same woman. While it may not be as exciting hopping in the sack as it was the first time, once I'm there I find that it is still just as good. I'm never dissapointed in a cruise. Some staff are better than others, but, overall, they all are pretty good.

I don't think our expectations are higher as much as we just know what to expect. Being a past cruiser (and reading this forum) lets you be more prepared in knowing what you'll experience on any given ship/port.

Each cruise we have taken is different enough that it is still a thrill and adventure. While similarities exist in the service and staff, there are still enough subtle differences to make each cruise unique. The mix of passengers, nationality of your steward/wait staff, your tablemates at dinner, and different port excursions all combine for a new cruise adventure.

I think that being prepared by being on a previous cruise and/or doing research on a forum such as this lets you free up more time for cruising. You know when to avoid long lines (like the Lido buffet), you know what activities you enjoy and would like to do again, or perhaps replace some of those with something new.

John

Having been on 11 Carnival cruises (14 total) in the past 14 years plus an upcoming cruise on the Glory on Aug 13, I would say that I now have much more experience on which to judge things and base my expectations upon.

For the most part (as I respond on the comment cards), my expectations are met and rarely exceeded (since my expectations are raised).

For example, we expect a cabin cleaned twice a day and some number of towel animals. We certainly have had cabin stewards that have done an exceptional job and all of them have done at least a very good job.

As for the dining room staff, we expect friendly, courteous and prompt service. We also expect them to figure out what our drinks will be after the first or second night. However, my wife is lactose intolerant and this is where the head waiter usually shines. I would say that out of our 14 cruises, we have had 3-4 excellent wait staff, 9 very good wait staff and only 1 average wait staff.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Barry

With many, many cruises under our ever expanding belts, doubtless we are not like newbie cruisers. But we try to be. Sailing any line that strikes our fancy plus the fact that I have always found each cruise to be unique, helps us recapture that 1st cruise feeling.

Probably the biggest difference is no anxiety, we know its going to be great [but too short].

Dan

Dan .... So agree with your statement:

With many, many cruises under our ever expanding belts, doubtless we are not like newbie cruisers. But we try to be. Sailing any line that strikes our fancy plus the fact that I have always found each cruise to be unique, helps us recapture that 1st cruise feeling.

Probably the biggest difference is no anxiety, we know its going to be great [but too short]. Dan

We do the same! After 40+ cruises we still have a feeling of excitement and anticipation about EVERY cruise! Trying different cruise lines and different ships helps keep cruising "New" for us!

Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

OK I give up what is a Carnival Platinum cruiser??? :)

New system now that if you sail so many times you get a different color Sail and Sign card, it was posted in the resent currents magazine, but I dont have it right now. :)

OK I give up what is a Carnival Platinum cruiser??? :)

Newbie = the regular red & blue Sign'n'Sale card

2nd cruise thru 9th = GOLD Sign'n'Sale card

10 or more cruises = PLATINUM Sign'n'Sale card

Thanks to you that responded to my question. Haven't gotten my mag in a while. Seems they are very sporadic - oh well. Guess it is nice to have a special card so people will know you are experienced --- (?). Assume there are no other benefits associated with that.?? With 5 cruises under our belt I guess we have a ways to go to get to Paltinum :)

Archived