norwegian = worst customer service department ever

accmiller

I guess I'm wondering why you didn't insist on connecting balcony cabins. Because the PCC suggested it wasn't safe? Did you think your 10 year old was going to fall off the balcony?

Seems to me that if the point was to have more space, you could have insisted on connecting balcony cabins, and just leave the connecting doors open at all times. I dunno, it's what I would have done, the point of a family vacation is to spend time together as a family. But it seems that many parents just have to have their "alone time"??

If people agreed on fact vs opinion vs subjective interpretation, we wouldn't have smoking and tipping threads go 20 pages. :D

Btw. One faceless anonymous person recounting their own experience doesn't make the first faceless anonymous person's claims on the internet to be true or fact. That said, it's between the OP and NCL to resolve. Everything else here is... fopinionations :rolleyes:

Edited by kylenyc

If people agreed on fact vs opinion vs subjective interpretation, we wouldn't have smoking and tipping threads go 20 pages. :D

...or any number of contentious topics.

But, then again where would the "professional" trolls go to practice their craft?

CC has become a playground for this with little moderation/correction involved.

I read all of these replies. I don't doubt the information was not communicated correctly about the location of the room access. However as much as I feel bad for the OP I also have to think that they wanted to do something against NCL Policies. That is place 2 minors in a room by themselves. When everyone knows that you need to have at least one Adult in each room. So because you choose not too want to put one child in each room with one parent is Not NCL fault. You were able to use the room with a parent and a child and you chose not too NCL didn't force you not too. So getting a full refund I don't think you should get maybe future OBC or something else. Me personally whenever I book a room I check the deck plans immediately. Also another red flag is if the room numbers are off majorly as someone mentioned that happened to them.

I read all of these replies. I don't doubt the information was not communicated correctly about the location of the room access. However as much as I feel bad for the OP I also have to think that they wanted to do something against NCL Policies. That is place 2 minors in a room by themselves. When everyone knows that you need to have at least one Adult in each room. So because you choose not too want to put one child in each room with one parent is Not NCL fault. You were able to use the room with a parent and a child and you chose not too NCL didn't force you not too. So getting a full refund I don't think you should get maybe future OBC or something else. Me personally whenever I book a room I check the deck plans immediately. Also another red flag is if the room numbers are off majorly as someone mentioned that happened to them.

This is incorrect.

It is immaterial what this guy "wanted" to do with the room. He asked for two rooms immediately close together so his family could all be in the same location without having to walk down the hallway to see each other.

That is a very common request, both on cruise ships and hotel rooms.

In this case, he paid $200 extra to move his original room so he could be close to an available inside cabin, and then paid the difference to get that inside cabin (with the promise that it would be very close). Despite paying this, he was not given the close-by rooms as promised.

That's all that matters here.

It is ridiculous to say that he should be punished in some way because he was "planning to break NCL rules" by (gasp) putting his 14-year-old and 6-year-old in their own room.

The bottom line is that he paid a premium to get two very close rooms for his family to be together, and NCL did not deliver that. Therefore, he deserves some compensation for this blunder.

End of story.

Edited by pokerpro5

This is incorrect.

It is immaterial what this guy "wanted" to do with the room. He asked for two rooms immediately close together so his family could all be in the same location without having to walk down the hallway to see each other.

In this case, he paid $200 extra to move his original room so he could be close to an available inside cabin, and then paid the difference to get that inside cabin (with the promise that it would be very close). Despite paying this, he was not given the close-by rooms as promised.

It is ridiculous to say that he should be punished in some way because he was "planning to break NCL rules" by (gasp) putting his 14-year-old and 6-year-old in their own room.

The bottom line is that he paid a premium to get two very close rooms for his family to be together, and NCL did not deliver that. Therefore, he deserves some compensation for this blunder.

End of story.

I will respond to this once and then I will just have to agree to disagree. It's not my issue to argue.

I never said they didn't deserve anything. I said I didn't think a full refund maybe OBC or something else. As far as the two minors in the room. YES it is a big deal. As as soon as something horrible happens everyone would jump to blame the Cruise Line.

What If:

Someone drunk or another reason knocks on door in middle of night.

One falls and gets hurt in room. As inside rooms are know to be extremely DARK.

Ship loses power.

One gets sick.

A minor fire in the corridor.

Or any other issue in the middle of the night.

A 14 y/o should not be responsible for a 6 y/o especially overnight. Look at the past drowning event where the Children weren't supervised and only one was revived. God forbid something happened two these two minors right way everyone will jump and blame the Cruise Line when they have established Policies for a reason not to make your vacations inconvenient.

Hopefully NCL responds and provides them with something. However it would be for the argument that they were given wrong information on the room access doors. Not because they wanted to break the Cruise Policy and weren't able to do it because the room access doors were too far to leave two minors alone. When they know they were required to have an Adult in each room with the Minor.

This is incorrect.

End of story.

I will respond to this once and then I will just have to agree to disagree. It's not my issue to argue.

I never said they didn't deserve anything. I said I didn't think a full refund maybe OBC or something else. As far as the two minors in the room. YES it is a big deal. As as soon as something horrible happens everyone would jump to blame the Cruise Line.

What If:

Ship loses power.

One gets sick.

A 14 y/o should not be responsible for a 6 y/o especially overnight. Look at the past drowning event where the Children weren't supervised and only one was revived. God forbid something happened to these two minors right way everyone will jump and blame the Cruise Line when they have established Policies for a reason not to make your vacations inconvenient.

Hopefully NCL responds and provides them with something. However it would be for the argument that they were given wrong information on the room access doors. Not because they wanted to break the Cruise Policy and weren't able to do it because the room access doors were too far to leave two minors alone. When they know they were required to have an Adult in each room with the Minor.

What If:

Ship loses power.

One gets sick.

A 14 y/o should not be responsible for a 6 y/o especially overnight. Look at the past drowning event where the Children weren't supervised and only one was revived. God forbid something happened to these two minors right way everyone will jump and blame the Cruise Line when they have established Policies for a reason not to make your vacations inconvenient.

This is a different discussion for a different time.

If two minors staying in a room together is such a big security issue (I don't agree, btw), then NCL needs to alert its stewards and other staff members to watch for this and force families in violation to reconfigure who stays in which room.

However, this should NOT come into play when determining how much refund accmiller should get here. These are two COMPLETELY different issues.

The issue at hand is whether or not accmiller deserves any money back after NCL failed to give him a second room that was close to his first room, as promised.

Your issue is accmiller's choice to let his kids stay in a room by themselves. You might think accmiller is a lousy parent (again, I don't agree), and you might think that NCL should be stricter about stopping this. But this should NOT affect his refund.

You are suggesting that he get OBC, but I disagree. OBC has zero value unless you take another cruise with NCL. He should not have to take another cruise in order to get a refund for failing to get what was promised on this cruise.

The one area where we agree is that he should not state to NCL that he was trying to put his two minors together in one room. This will needlessly complicate the situation, and NCL might be less sympathetic to his plight. I agree that he should simply say he wanted the rooms so his family could be close together, and leave it at that.

At a MINIMUM, he deserves his $200 room-change ("cancellation") fee back, but he really deserves both the $200 and the difference in price between adding 2 people to the minisuite and getting them their own inside cabin.

Not to be rude or condescending, but which responsible parent would leave a SIX year old alone with 14 year old in a separate cabin??? The thought of leaving that baby alone with a teenager gives me goosebumps!! I mean ANYTHING can happen!! ANYTHING!!! I have a 13 year old, very responsible daughter and would NEVER dream of leaving her alone in a cabin with a minor!! I personally don't understand what your issue is... All 4 of you were onboard, ate, used the facilities and the amenities! However you want a full refund for 1 cabin?????:confused:

Not to be rude or condescending, but which responsible parent would leave a SIX year old alone with 14 year old in a separate cabin??? The thought of leaving that baby alone with a teenager gives me goosebumps!! I mean ANYTHING can happen!! ANYTHING!!! I have a 13 year old, very responsible daughter and would NEVER dream of leaving her alone in a cabin with a minor!! I personally don't understand what your issue is... All 4 of you were onboard, ate, used the facilities and the amenities! However you want a full refund for 1 cabin?????:confused:

I believe he just wants the difference in what he paid extra to change the configuration (the $200 fee plus the difference in price from all 4 to one room). Not a full refund for 1 cabin.

But what is with your histrionics regarding his plans to leave his 14-year-old with the 6-year-old at night?

Sounds like you are an overprotective parent.

News flash: Many babysitters are 14. Parents leave their children -- often times younger than 6 -- with these 14-year-olds for the night while they go out. For some reason this is completely okay and has been accepted for many decades, yet people like you freak out when it's on a cruise ship.

Cruise ships are VERY safe environments. There are no "outsiders" that can come and go as they please. Anyone who commits a crime is stuck on the ship. There is nowhere to run, and nowhere to hide. This is why violent and sexual crime is almost nonexistent on cruise ships, despite the fact that millions of people cruise every year. The few instances of crime tend to be of the domestic variety, such as spouse-against-spouse.

There is a MUCH higher chance that your children will be harmed on the flight and/or drive to the port than on the cruise ship itself.

Note that most US hotels do NOT have a rule against minors occupying a room together. Cruise ships only have this rule to bring their liability insurance rates down. In reality, children sleeping in the same room at night without an adult present (but an adult very close by) poses little-to-no danger, especially if one of the kids is as old as 14.

So let's stop with the "OMG why did you want the kids in a room by themselves" histrionics, because it's both off-topic and needlessly condescending.

Edited by pokerpro5

The other child is 14. We weren't leaving our 6 year old by herself. With two rooms right next to each other we thought we would be fine. With the layout and having to walk around the entire ship that wasn't going to be an option. We would have been fine cramping into one room, which we did, if NCL showed remotely any sympathy. Instead all the did was say too bad you agreed to what we told you. Too bad it wasn't true. So we paid for a room that was never used.

I would never have put my 6 yo that far away either even with a 14 yo.

Your problem was caused by an incredibly untrained agent.

A few cabins away maybe but never ever on the other side so far away

And you are not being overprotective your are just loaded with common sense

Btw overprotective parent is an oxymoron.

That is a parents job Especially with a 6 yo

I really don't see that the age of any passengers should be a hugh factor in this. The main point is that the op got very wrong information from an NCL rep which resulted in a poor cruise experience and could have been avoided should the rep had known what you could expect them to know: the product they are selling.

We travel frequently with my husbands parents. We always want to have cabins very close to each other (preferably connecting, if not possible adjoining or across the hall) as our DS (9 years) obviously enjoys their company. They also enjoy his company so we are not abusing the grandparents kindness - just FYI ;)

Now our situation with the cabins is: two adults and a 9 year old in one cabin. Two adults in the other cabin. Still it would have a huge effect to our overall cruising experience if the similar would have happened to us. I would never ever let my 9 year old go alone to a cabin across the hall - if in fact going to the cabin would mean going down one corridor and then coming back another. I would not even let my 9 year old go alone to across the hall even if the door was there. I would stand by our door and check that he gets in safely. So would my husbands parents do. So really it would be a serious PITA if something like that would happen to us.

And we don't even have to think about a situation involving children at all. Two couples travelling together. They request adjoining cabins but a NCL rep suggests that cabins across the hall would work better. The couple plans on doing a lot of stuff together and appraciates the fact that they can easiy knock on each others door. They even pay more to get the the cabins very close to each other. The couple most likely would be very pissed to find out that yes their cabins are close to each other but accessing them is another story.

And IMHO it is totally irrelevant to argue if it would be really important to have either grandparents, friends or anyone else close to your cabin so that you you can access their cabin easily. It really does not matter. It matters that is was important for OP. He even paid more to make it happen. He was adviced by an NCL rep that this was the best way to go. And did he get what he rquested? No. Even if their plan was to put mom + child in one cabin and dad + child in another obviously it would have made a huge difference as rather that opening one door, taking one step across the hall and opening another they would have needed to walk - as already mentioned - one hall down and another one up again to access the other cabin. Really a no brainer to see how that would have also affected terribly their cruise experience.

Edited by European_CruiseGirl

You got an apology and a comped meal and were satisfied with the result of your complaint but you will never sail with them again? You are going to find that you will run out of companies to sail with because stuff happens with any business...

And how is letting parents book 2 cabins that they requested making the company "morally wrong"? Logic is being lost here....please explain.

Happy to explain...:)

I do know and accept that bad service can occur on any cruise line or hotel etc.

Because I didn't want to go too far off topic I didn't explain the extent of our complaint and why we won't cruise NCL again. but here goes...

Our first night in MDR we noted that our waiter had a strong smell of BO and we were served our starters on cracked plates. I pointed out the cracked plates and they were replaced. Then my main meal arrived on a cracked plate and my steak knife was twisted. We decided rather than make a big deal out of it we would let it go as our waiter looked stressed and couldn't even pour water in our glasses without spilling it all over the table. The next night we tried the second Main dining room only to find the dinnerware also cracked and my fork with twisted prongs. We decided not to order and went to a specialty restaurant. The minute we sat down my DH said "this is unbelievable" He was sat there holding up a twisted fork! He called the manager over who a apologized and told a waiter to replace it. He did replace it but with a dirty one! We called the manager again who started screaming at the waiter. When the manager went away the waiter lifted the fork and wiped it on a napkin and dropped it back in front of my DH Now....What would you have done???? COMPLAIN RIGHT? SO...

Yes I was happy with how my complaint was dealt with ....eventually.

Okay so far,..... but it took 2 hours at guest services to finally speak to someone (person number four) before anything was done.

All I wanted was someone to fix the problem...I wasn't looking for a comped meal but as I SAID, It redeemed them as decent people, who did finally fix this problem.

Unfortunately I will still NEVER sail NCL again, only because although we encountered no more cracked dinnerware or twisted cutlery we had ripped towels in our cabin, soap disappeared, hair in the plughole, wrong meals were brought to the table, they lost our wine and waiters were rude and sloppy and several could have really used the missing soap!!!

Its true we could well have been unfortunate with that particular cruise but its also true that ever person we personally spoke to was unhappy with the service and cleanliness on board and nothing will change that! The contrast between the RC cruises we have had is vast and I think that having the same waiters every night on RC as opposed to different ones every night on NCL is a factor..My opinion..which I'm entitled too.

BTW I didn't say "letting parents book 2 cabins that they requested" made the company "morally wrong"?

I was expressing my opinion that leaving two kids this age on their own in that cabin was not right and if NCL know this which I believe they do (which is why they book one adult, one child per cabin) then they have a moral duty to insure that it ADHERED to.

Again my opinion.

Jo :D

I have been reading this post and still do not quite understand what the issue is.

You had a mini-suite but were advised to go with a balcony and an inside room that was across the hall from the balcony room. The fact that the door to the inside room was not across from the balcony room was an issue which you were not aware of. You had requested a connecting cabin. It was your decision to say yes or no. To me many times in the travel industry, especially now, (TA, airlines, tours, hotels, car rentals) you really can't count on the person taking your money being knowledgeable. It really is buyer beware just like anything else.

It appears that the NCL agent made a mistake; but was it really a HUGE issue if there was an adult staying in each room? Each room was to have a child and an adult in them because that is what NCL requires for safety (especially when there are children under age 21 involved) and the fare you purchased.

It appears, to me from what I have read here, you wanted the under aged children to stay in a room by themselves, which is your own decision. Am I thinking wrong here; please let me know? Having a room right down the hall (that you have the same room steward) wouldn't seem that far away if there was an adult staying in each room.

IMO once you are on the ship, especially at spring break time, there is not much flexibility on what they could have offered.

I totally agree in your frustration about NCL not returning your call about your complaints. You may still hear from them.

Also, I have cruise many other cruise lines and their customer service is the same.

I hope you hear from NCL as they generally do have good customer service.

Just a couple points. The NCL rep suggested the two rooms that would be across the hall from each other. It wasn't like they said here are two rooms a short walk for each other, they were supposed to be across the hall. Big difference.

I can understand if I booked through a travel agency that it wouldn't be NCL's fault. However, it was the NCL rep that booked this for us. They made the mistake. I didn't realize it was my responsibility to make sure NCL knew what they were doing. I always thought that responsibility fell on the company, not me.

No, I am not in the travel industry but do not quite understand, if a mistake was made, it appears that is really not a HUGE deal........no one was hurt. All service rep in any industry make mistakes. Have you never made a mistake in your job? Buyer beware is more prevalent than ever, especially in the travel industry.

From what I understand they reserved 2 rooms with 1 adult and 1 child in each... that fact that they weren't right across the hall seems a bit minor. It was their decision to put the children (under aged) in a room by themselves; which NCL (or any other cruise line) does not condone.

BTW, I have cruised NCL only a couple of times, and have cruised other cruises much more; IMO the customer service is all the same. Now more than ever the onus is on the customer to be aware.

So your position is that even though NCL promised us one thing and delivered something else it is my fault. I would love to do business with you. Care to buy something?

No...I think you heard what you wanted to hear. All we have to go on is what you "claim" happened...no proof offered what-so-ever.

The deck plans are very clear as to the fact that the doors are not across from each other. Even the room descriptions PLAINLY state this. The only way someone could miss this is to do NO RESEARCH what-so-ever. I guess that is the PCC's fault too?

Defense of the cruise line? Huh? I haven't said that this wasn't their fault...I just haven't seen any proof or believable information. Just a one-sided, very biased, version of the story.

You complained on the ship and it got you nowhere (so you say)...and your compaints here don't seem to be getting you anywhere either. Just what is it you hope to accomplish here?

Yes I only "claimed" that it happened. In reality we had four cabins all together and everybody had their own room. I only made this up so I could disparage a company for no reason whatsoever. And I never said anything on the ship. I just woke up two days ago and said "you know what? I feel like making an issue out of nothing. What else do I going today." Your logic is mystifying.

You keep saying I did no research. I did plenty of research and even called directly into the company to get their advice. I paid a penalty (cancellation charge) to even change the reservation based on their advice to two rooms. TWO ROOMS THAT WERE SUPPOSED TO BE ACROSS THE HALL FROM EACH OTHER.

With your logic you must be the person in charge of NCL's customer service department.

Unbelievable that people are still doubting accmiller's story and/or telling him that he's wrong.

Let's review the FACTS here.

FACT: Several people have shown up in this thread confirming that they had something very similar occur. Therefore, the chance that accmiller misunderstood the rep or exaggerated in his post are very low. This seems to be a chronic problem with NCL -- undertrained reps who give wrong/incomplete information to cruisers.

FACT: accmiller is out $200, the fee he paid to change rooms so he could have two (supposedly) close to one another. Not only were the two rooms not close at all (as he was promised by the rep), but he paid extra money for a second room that he didn't get to use as planned.

FACT: Given that he was promised the proximity of the rooms by a representative of Norwegian, it is perfectly reasonable that he didn't "check their work" prior to boarding. As I said earlier, I always check anyway, knowing that many reps of companies these days are incompetent. However, you can't blame the guy for trusting what he was told by the NCL rep.

It is NOT anyone's place to decide for accmiller how much of an inconvenience this actually was for him. He only had one room booked originally, but then came to NCL with his new requirements -- to have two rooms close together. They claimed to have satisfied his requirements by supposedly booking two rooms close together. They did not actually satisfy the requirements, and therefore the room was (mostly) useless to him. The fact that he used it somewhat is immaterial. It was not at all what he wanted or needed.

accmiller, you seem to have ignored my previous post/suggestion. Do NOT wait for them to call you back. That call will never come.

Call and ask to be transferred to the Miami office, and then ask for a supervisor. Those are the people with power. Those are the people who can make it right for you. Do not write letters, and don't want for phantom calls back that will never come. They might still be able to pull the original phone call. I'm not sure how long they keep them.

Regardless of whether they can pull the call or not, I think you have a strong case, as they will have proof that the room was booked by a rep (and not you online), and the "fake proximity" shown on the map will back your story. Keep calling until you get a supervisor at the Miami office, and if you still don't get satisfaction, ask if you can speak to a manager or someone else higher.

Personally, I think you are entitled to the $200 back plus the difference in cost in having the second room versus adding 2 people to your Mini Suite. Ask for that, but be willing to accept a compromise somewhere in the middle if necessary.

Ignore the cheerleaders here, and good luck.

Thanks for your input. I actually did call the Miami office directly. When I told the operator what I wanted I was immediately transferred to the customer service line without a word from her. Next thing I knew I was listening the the NCL commercial while on hold for 90 minutes. Finally I got a live body and they told me to go online and fill out a written report. It would be comical if it wasn't so aggravating to say the least.

We booked this cruise before the ship was even finished. I wish I could pull up the original deck layout to see if in fact they have changed the pdf of it. I would love to see if the original has the red lines across the inside cabins or if they have been changed to avoid further problems once they realized the problem.

I guess I'm wondering why you didn't insist on connecting balcony cabins. Because the PCC suggested it wasn't safe? Did you think your 10 year old was going to fall off the balcony?

Seems to me that if the point was to have more space, you could have insisted on connecting balcony cabins, and just leave the connecting doors open at all times. I dunno, it's what I would have done, the point of a family vacation is to spend time together as a family. But it seems that many parents just have to have their "alone time"??

When I originally called I did ask for adjoining cabins. I think the NCL rep wanted to come up with a cheaper rate so I wouldn't be upset over the cancellation fee. Even that doesn't make sense to me. Why pay a cancellation fee if you are adding a room?? I could understand you don't want people booking then changing in order to take advantage of the cheaper rates but I wasn't looking to do that. I knew it was going to cost more.

I would agree with you if the NCL rep didn't already know what we intended and we asked for something specific. It was promised and then they made a mistake. I understand it isn't the end of the world, but it was still a pretty big mistake. All I ask is that they admit they made a mistake and make some attempt at fixing the problem. It has been almost a month and nothing from them. I agree if they had said on the ship "Sorry we made this mistake but the ship if full so there isn't anything we can do about moving you. Can we give you a credit of ... or a certain amount of OBC?" I would have still been upset at the mistake but at least have felt like they understood the issue and wanted to do their best to make it right. They just completely ignored me over and over again. That is what is so frustrating.

I hear what you are saying and it is exactly why were were so upset. With the mini-suite and the inside cabin it gave us more room two bathrooms and the ability to have our six year old with us if we didn't like they layout. We weren't about to put them across the ship from us. It was across the hall.

But even that is not really the point. We changed our reservation from one room to two to get more room. We asked for them to be adjoining and then were offered the suggestion of across the hall. It seemed like a good idea and we paid the extra charges. By doing this we went from a mini-suite designed for four people to a mini-suite designed for three plus an inside cabin. When we couldn't use the inside cabin it put a huge cramp on our living space which was exactly the opposite of what we were tending to do.

Your judgements aside, we went with the advice of the NCL representative. Everybody involved in the experience thought we were being assigned two rooms across from each other.

Yes I only "claimed" that it happened. In reality we had four cabins all together and everybody had their own room. I only made this up so I could disparage a company for no reason whatsoever. And I never said anything on the ship. I just woke up two days ago and said "you know what? I feel like making an issue out of nothing. What else do I going today." Your logic is mystifying.

You keep saying I did no research. I did plenty of research and even called directly into the company to get their advice. I paid a penalty (cancellation charge) to even change the reservation based on their advice to two rooms. TWO ROOMS THAT WERE SUPPOSED TO BE ACROSS THE HALL FROM EACH OTHER.

With your logic you must be the person in charge of NCL's customer service department.

You did plenty of research? PLENTY?

Did your research ever include looking at the deck plans where it CLEARLY shows that the doors for insides are in the center corridor?

Did your research ever include reading the room descriptions where it CLEARLY states that the doors for insides open to the center corridor?

You could do minimal research and figure that out.

You did plenty of research? PLENTY?

Did your research ever include looking at the deck plans where it CLEARLY shows that the doors for insides are in the center corridor?

Did your research ever include reading the room descriptions where it CLEARLY states that the doors for insides open to the center corridor?

You could do minimal research and figure that out.

I guess it was my fault. Like I said it was our first cruise. I didn't realize that the industry needed my supervision to verify that they delivered what was promised. I don't know if you know this but most industries expect the company to deliver what they promised. This is one of the rare ones where it is the customer's responsibility to research and verify that the company is acting correctly.

You have taught me a lot.

this.

You have yet to answer. What exactly do you think my motivation is here?

Why in the world would I make it up?

Am I unhappy? You bet I am. I wonder why that is.

Like my initial post said "NCL has the worst customer service ever."

They screwed up the initial reservation.

Then they have told me on four separate times that they would get back to me. Yet nothing.

Any other industry that would be unacceptable.

I am glad for you that you are so defensive of them. You have found something you love. Good for you. Sorry I have said something negative about them. It must really hurt you. Unfortunately, everything I have said is true.