NO Irons Rule ????

Dearest Mother of twins,

It is in the cruise documents packet, in the glossy section at the back entitled CRUISE Vacation Guide, on page 2, at the bottom of the second column.

It is also on the Royal Caribbean website, and this is the URL:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/onboardExtrasFaq.do;jsessionid=0000zK_6XzFeBAwVhFwTCBPZUw7:v2mocc7o

and here is what it says:

Are laundry services provided?

Self-Service Laundry facilities are not provided onboard any Royal Caribbean International ships; however, full laundry and dry cleaning services are provided :

SHIPBOARD LAUNDRY SERVICE

* All prices are in US. Dollars and are subject to change without notice.

MEN WOMEN

Shirt/T-Shirt: $2.50 Blouse: $3.50

Shirt (dress): $3.00 Dress (wash): $5.00

Underwear: $1.20 Skirt: $3.50

Jeans: $3.00 Nightgown: $3.00

Pajamas: $4.00 Swimsuit: $2.00

Handkerchif: $0.75 Slip: $2.50

Shorts: $2.50 Housecoat: $3.50

Bathrobe: $3.50 Hosiery: $3.50

Pants (wash): $3.50 Slacks: $3.50

Sweatshirt: $3.00

Socks: $1.00

PRESS ONLY - 50% of cleaning prices SHIPBOARD DRY CLEANING SERVICES * All prices are in US. Dollars and are subject to change without notice.

MEN WOMAN

Suit: $7.00 Evening Gown: $8.00

Pants: $4.25 Dress $7.00

Jacket: $4.50 Silk Blouse: $5:00

Sweater: $4.00 Silk Dress: $8.00

Coat: $7.00 Skirt $4.50

Tie: $2.00 Suit: $7.50

Shirt: $3.50 Blouse: $4.00

Shorts: $3.00 Scarf: $2.50

Vest $2.50

Silk Pajamas: $4.50

PRESS ONLY - 50% of cleaning prices Please note: We do not provide irons in the staterooms as they constitute a fire hazard.

Ok Thanks I see it on the web site. But it not on My paper work My page 2 (2 of 9) Is Guest Info and Boarding I may be missing that Doc

So and Please dont start a debate

Please note: We do not provide irons in the staterooms as they constitute a fire hazard

NOT NO Irons Can you take a steam iron

My Girls have dress that need to be steamed or iron on low and I don't want the Damaged By the staff

The glossy pages section in the document book appears to be standard for all cruises. Only the matte pages in the front are specific to our cruise.

The pre-printed luggage tags divide the two sections from one another.

The sections of information on this page are:

Page 2 (the first page after the title page of the section CRUISE VACATION GUIDE)

GETTING READY

What should I pack?

Evening Attire.

What Travel Documents and Identification Do I Need?

What is considered acceptable proof of identity?

What if I am traveling to Europe or going to an exotic destination?

What about hair-dryers and laundry? (this is where the information is about IRONS)

Page 3

GETTING TO THE SHIP

Page 4

GETTING SETTLED

Page 5

BEVERAGE POLICY

Page 6

WINE & DINE PACKAGE

-------------------------------

Many other cruisers have reported complete satisfaction with the cleaning and the pressing on board. If this is such a special dress that you cannot pack it properly without it wrinkling or if you do not trust anyone else to iron it, perhaps it would be best to leave that dress at home and bring another.

Hang the dresses and cover with plastic dry cleaner bags, inside and out, tie the bag at the bottom to create an air pocket. If they are floor length, this has worked for me: do the above, then, take an additional hanger (the kind from the dry cleaner for pants that have a slightly sticky band on cardboard) hang the lower protion of the dress over this hanger and put another dry cleaner bag over that.

I know this may be a bit hard to follow, but try it. My daughter took a long, full dress (never again!) on our last cruise and there were absolutely no wrinkles in it after unpacking. Shorter dresses without the flounce are definitely easier to pack, for our next cruise, this is exactly what she is allowed. Knits are best.

You can take along a travel steamer, they have a much lower wattage than an iron. The dry cleaning service that ships have is nice, a very good alternative.

Ok Thanks I see it on the web site. But it not on My paper work My page 2 (2 of 9) Is Guest Info and Boarding I may be missing that Doc

So and Please dont start a debate

Please note: We do not provide irons in the staterooms as they constitute a fire hazard

NOT NO Irons Can you take a steam iron

My Girls have dress that need to be steamed or iron on low and I don't want the Damaged By the staff

MTTG - The meaning is clear. They don't provide candles in you room either, for just the same reason - fire hazard. The analogy would be like saying that the driver's handbook for my state talks about driving on the street, but does not say I cannot drive through someone elses front yard.

Many other cruisers have reported complete satisfaction with the cleaning and the pressing on board. If this is such a special dress that you cannot pack it properly without it wrinkling or if you do not trust anyone else to iron it, perhaps it would be best to leave that dress at home and bring another.

I agree. Since you have 2 15 month olds to care for, why bother with ironing? I have only heard rave reviews of the ships laundry services. I will be using them myself in only 11 days.

A steamer, without an iron, is acceptable I understand. Seriously tho this is YOUR vacation. I send all my stuff out including a very expensive (well I did not pay full price for it, thank you Syms) Victor Costa coctail dress that wrinkles like mad. I have never had even one issue with it not being taken well care of.

MTTG - The meaning is clear. They don't provide candles in you room either, for just the same reason - fire hazard. The analogy would be like saying that the driver's handbook for my state talks about driving on the street, but does not say I cannot drive through someone elses front yard.
Given the great pains, and pages and pages, RCI goes to in the cruise contract to spell out everything in great detail - and all to their advantage - it seems to me they would have said "irons are not allowed in the rooms" if that's what they meant.

I would take their statement exactly what it says - "We do not provide ...". Probably because if they provide them they're worried about being held liable for any damages, accidents, etc. but if you bring your own they're not.

Hang the dresses and cover with plastic dry cleaner bags, inside and out, tie the bag at the bottom to create an air pocket. If they are floor length, this has worked for me: do the above, then, take an additional hanger (the kind from the dry cleaner for pants that have a slightly sticky band on cardboard) hang the lower protion of the dress over this hanger and put another dry cleaner bag over that.

I know this may be a bit hard to follow, but try it. My daughter took a long, full dress (never again!) on our last cruise and there were absolutely no wrinkles in it after unpacking. Shorter dresses without the flounce are definitely easier to pack, for our next cruise, this is exactly what she is allowed. Knits are best.

You can take along a travel steamer, they have a much lower wattage than an iron. The dry cleaning service that ships have is nice, a very good alternative.

Thanks for the tip. I'm 5'10" and ALL my dresses wrinkle at the bottom. Ugggh.

Given the great pains, and pages and pages, RCI goes to in the cruise contract to spell out everything in great detail - and all to their advantage - it seems to me they would have said "irons are not allowed in the rooms" if that's what they meant.

I would take their statement exactly what it says - "We do not provide ...". Probably because if they provide them they're worried about being held liable for any damages, accidents, etc. but if you bring your own they're not.

Um, did you not read the "fire hazard" part of the statement?! Wouldn't reading that make you realize that irons, no matter who provides them (or the wattage, for that matter) are not a good idea?:eek:

Um, did you not read the "fire hazard" part of the statement?! Wouldn't reading that make you realize that irons, no matter who provides them (or the wattage, for that matter) are not a good idea?:eek:
So are cigarettes, and RCI doesn't provide them in your room, but does allow you to use them.

So are cigarettes, and RCI doesn't provide them in your room, but does allow you to use them.

Have you ever seen what a fire can do to a cruise ship? Google these names: Achille Lauro, Prisendam, Morro Castle, and you'll see what can happen. I've read posts from people who bring candles into their cabins, and cite that the rules don't say anything about it, and find it unbelievable.

So much for personal responsibility.

On my Voyager cruise last year, at least three people (that I personally spoke with) had their irons confiscated - I'm sure there were many more. Of course, it will be returned after the cruise. So, I guess it's the same as with smuggled booze - if they find it (and then can pretty easily with metal detectors/x-rays), they'll take it.

AMEN! And that is the bottom line for me. When they ban cigarettes on cruise ships then I will leave my iron at home. Or when they give HARD FACTS that prove that irons cause more fires on ships than cigarettes.

Otherwise, the cruise lines are just being hypocritical. They won't ban smoking because that will cost them paying passengers and therefore hurt their profits. So they will ignore the very real fire hazard of a lighted cigarette.

But these very same cruise lines will discourage or not provide irons for passenger use in the name of "fire hazard" because then they can charge for cleaning/pressing services and increase their profits.

It is all about money and profits. Our safety has nothing to do with it. And BTW, I have taken an iron on at least 5 cruises. Left them out on the counters in full view the whole cruise and never had one confiscated. Not saying it doesn't happen but it never has to me.

Have you ever seen what a fire can do to a cruise ship? Google these names: Achille Lauro, Prisendam, Morro Castle, and you'll see what can happen. I've read posts from people who bring candles into their cabins, and cite that the rules don't say anything about it, and find it unbelievable.

So much for personal responsibility.

Which of these fires were caused by irons being used in the staterooms?

Which of these fires were caused by irons being used in the staterooms?

I supplied that information because you seemed to take the potential for a ship fire lightly.

We're talking about the potential for fire here. Which you don't seem to care about. My point is that if the majority of people leave irons, it increases the risk of a fire.

I thanks So too

I could send the dress out But I like to lave then Iron from the inside That was they are puffy and look full.

I will try the tip posted and the steam Iron

Thanks for all your help

And BTW, I have taken an iron on at least 5 cruises. Left them out on the counters in full view the whole cruise and never had one confiscated. Not saying it doesn't happen but it never has to me.

Asking why ?

It is all about money and profits. Our safety has nothing to do with it.

A cabin steward who depends on your tip will never confiscate it unless he is really forced to do so.

People violate rules all the time with out anything happening. Irons are not a major cause of fire on ships. Mostly they are caused by alcohol and smoking. There have been fires in the ships laundry rooms. If you need an iron or a steamer bring it no one will probably stop you and the room personal don't confiscate illegal booze either. I am not saying you should bring an iron. For most things the ships laundry is fine and not that expensive. The some of the people who say don't bring irons I am sure violate some other rule. Make it a travel iron lower wattage anyway. Some of the older cruise ships have small ironing boards on them. I think its more of an electrical problem anyway. Most rooms only have one plug. Bringing an extension and plugging in ten things is probably just about as bad as an iron but there is no specific prohibition against it.

Asking why ?

A cabin steward who depends on your tip will never confiscate it unless he is really forced to do so.

Not sure what exactly you are asking. If it is why I take an iron, it has to do with feeling fresh and clean. Ironing has never been a chore for me. I feel fresher when my clothes are not all wrinkled. OK, maybe I am also a bit of a neat freak. I also always pick everything up and put everything in the drawers and closets before I leave the cabin. Just me.

As to the cabin stewards not risking tips, I totally agree. That was one of my points. That irons will probably not be confiscated. I read here rather often of posters who "know of people" who had their irons confiscated but I have yet to read from someone of a first hand experience where THEIR iron was taken away.

But my biggest point is still the issue of the actual - not potential - danger of an iron. I just want anyone to give me ANY data that show irons to be of any statistical significance in the cause of shipboard fires. And so far no one has done that. People just say 'Irons are a fire hazard." But there is no examples or numbers, etc. to ever back it up.

Yet a true and proven cause of shipboard fires - anyone remember the teens and matches on Explorer that took out the in-line skating rink, etc. - is ignored. I find that rather fasinating.

Huh? When was the last ship fire caused by alcohol or cigarettes?? Most I have seen were electrical... If either of these were an issue, ships would take more caution, but since the bedspreads won't burst into flames if a cigarette falls on them (the melting would smolder and put out the cigarette, just like in a hotel... they are not highly flammable)... the iron issue is that of an electrical issue. Why do people always bring "smoking" into this? Obviously there is a safety hazard or they would allow them... it's not as if they make money off you ironing in their laundry room...

Archived