Having second thoughts...

mykel67

Back in March I found a great rate for a veranda cabin on an August Silhouette Greek Isles cruise, but the rate increased dramatically before I could decide to book.

Well...after weeks of checking back fairly regularly, the rate came back down again! For the past three days I've put courtesy holds on a cabin. I looked at airfare (not too expensive, direct flights) and got excited thinking about spending a few nights pre-cruise in Venice (one of my favourite cities in the world), then spending another week or more in Italy to visit Naples and the Amalfi coast.

Last night I logged on to make the deposit, but the website was down for maintenance. So what did I do? I read lots of reviews here, looked at lots of photos, and added up all the likely charges we would incur for tours, drink packages, gratuities, specialty restaurants, etc. (based on our previous two Celebrity cruises). I also took a closer look at the ports, and realized two are tendered and one (Kotor) has not exactly ever been on my bucket list. Plus packing everything needed for a cruise but still keeping within the luggage allowances for short-haul flights in Italy would be too challenging and frustrating.

So I have come to the realization that I'm not as interested in the cruise as I am in visiting Venice and other parts of Italy; I think I was more excited about the return of the 'bargain' rate than the actual on-board experience.

I'll continue to mull it over today, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to give it a pass. Has anyone else gone through a similar process?!

Hi,

When we went to Kotor I must admit we hadn't even heard of it!:eek: however, the scenery and town are simply stunning - worth the cruise and even the tender is well worth it.

Enjoy

Totally agree - if you want to see Italy then you really need to go on a land based tour. We have toured Tuscany and the scenery was amazing. Downside - packing and unpacking! Cruising is great but a very different touring holiday. We think of them as an easy taster but you need to go back for the full meal!

We were on the same cruise last year, and we too hadn't heard about Kotor, Montenegro. However this port turned out to be the HIGHLIGHT of the cruise. It's highly unlikely that one would ever go there without a cruise and it is spectacular. I strongly suggest you go for it, you won't be disappointed.

It is better to regret trying something than regret not trying it.

Agreed! There is a poster on these boards who has a quote in their signature line that goes something like: When you die, you'll regret the things that you didn't do, more than the things you did. :cool:

Most cruising regrets seem to come from people not doing their homework, or having unrealistic expectations. Sounds to me like the OP has done his research. He knows what he wants to do, and how much he wants to spend. He might end up deciding that this is not the cruise for him, after all. But, being a hopeless cruising romantic myself, I hope that things work out for the OP, and he has a great cruise! ;)

We visited Kotor on our last two Med cruises and it was one of the highlights of my European vacations. The scenery on the sail- in is unique. On the first cruise we took a bus trip through the mountains and it was wonderful. The second trip we took a trip out to the Rock Church in the harbor from Perast, and then returned to Perast for lunch. Went down to the old town and loved.loved.loved the city inside the walls. One of our favorite ports ever.

Sometimes the ports I wanted to see the most did not live up to expectations and ports I hadn't given a second thought to were amazing. So much plays a part in it. Weather, service, cost and the locals vacations.

I usually pick what I want before I get excited about bargains. Sometimes the process of booking, committing, shopping wears me out. Once I had a series of intense conversations over booking promises and just about stopped cruising altogether, luckily I had an excellent experience right after that improved my thoughts about it.

The following of the bargain is wearing. I would rather see less fluctuations in pricing. It may hook people but an awful lot of folks lose their momentum in the process.

It sounds as if you have traveled in Europe before. Most of the time our time visiting ports is better than post or precruise travel just in relaxation alone.

Plenty of folks change their minds, Notice how cabins open up just before final payment and purchasing airfare.

We visited Kotor on our last two Med cruises and it was one of the highlights of my European vacations. The scenery on the sail- in is unique. On the first cruise we took a bus trip through the mountains and it was wonderful. The second trip we took a trip out to the Rock Church in the harbor from Perast, and then returned to Perast for lunch. Went down to the old town and loved.loved.loved the city inside the walls. One of our favorite ports ever.

We will be visiting Kotor this Sept. on Equinox. I am looking at the excursions offered by Celebrity. Did you use them or did you set up private excursions? If private, which tour company did you use? Which of the 2 excursions was your favorite as this may be the only time we get to Kotor.

Thanks for the info.

Yes, we lose sleep over whether to cancel or not book a cruise.

The answer comes when we realize what causes the hooks.

Once we cancel or don't book, we're fine with our decisions.

There's always another cruise or a land vacation that fits better.

Our next visit to Rome will not be part of a cruise.

Edited by ClairetoCruise

I did a canary island cruise last year and the only reasons were it left out of Barcelona, the price I could afford

and it was my vacation week. Several of the places I didn't even knew existed,but one Funchal ended up being one of our favorite ever ports. If you just like to cruise then I say go for it, worse case scenario you found a place you've seen and don't care to return. That's how Paris was for me, I'm glad I saw it but I am not interested in going back. Now I know. I don't think any vacation is bad, some are just better then others.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

Back in March I found a great rate for a veranda cabin on an August Silhouette Greek Isles cruise, but the rate increased dramatically before I could decide to book.

Well...after weeks of checking back fairly regularly, the rate came back down again! For the past three days I've put courtesy holds on a cabin. I looked at airfare (not too expensive, direct flights) and got excited thinking about spending a few nights pre-cruise in Venice (one of my favourite cities in the world), then spending another week or more in Italy to visit Naples and the Amalfi coast.

Last night I logged on to make the deposit, but the website was down for maintenance. So what did I do? I read lots of reviews here, looked at lots of photos, and added up all the likely charges we would incur for tours, drink packages, gratuities, specialty restaurants, etc. (based on our previous two Celebrity cruises). I also took a closer look at the ports, and realized two are tendered and one (Kotor) has not exactly ever been on my bucket list. Plus packing everything needed for a cruise but still keeping within the luggage allowances for short-haul flights in Italy would be too challenging and frustrating.

So I have come to the realization that I'm not as interested in the cruise as I am in visiting Venice and other parts of Italy; I think I was more excited about the return of the 'bargain' rate than the actual on-board experience.

I'll continue to mull it over today, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to give it a pass. Has anyone else gone through a similar process?!

August is very busy and crowded. Before you make your decision, check out some of the possible hotels and see if they are available!

I just spent some time reading about Kotor and looking at photos and it really is beautiful and unusual! Hmm... still thinking about it...:confused:

And I did check on hotels and our preferred choices are indeed available (as of today, anyway).

Edited by mykel67

Only slightly tongue-in-cheek:

Flip a coin.

Heads you go on the cruise

Tails you don't.

If your reaction to your results is "darn, let's go for two out of three," you will have your true answer.

Sometimes that works.

Personally, we took this cruise, stayed a few days in Venice and took side trips to Verona and Burano and managed to be there the day of the Vogalonga (a gondola race/parade). We met great people on our roll call, some who have remained friends, and traveled with family. This was one of our top cruises. We did shore excursions in Ravenna (ShipEx-to Bologna); Koper (Private to Lubljana & Postojna Caves), Bari (to Alberobello for Trulli houses-ShipEx), Malta (ShipEx-overview) and Messina (Private to Taormina and Castelmola). In Split, Dubrovnik, Kotor, Corfu and Naples we just got out and walked or took public transport (Naples) around the city.

We are modest income folks - my husband is a retired teacher and I was then still working as a secretary - so vacations are a big deal. This was worth the cost. If you decide to go, I'll tell you the things I would have done differently but I would do this cruise again. I want to do it again.

Silhouette is a beautiful ship, and though we didn't do it, friends love the Lawn Club - in fact they booked a cruise on Silhouette because of the Lawn Club.

Hope this helps.

Beth

We did the other itinerary on Silhouette last October. We spent 5 days in Venice prior and 5 in Rome after.

First I want to say that I am a land person. My favourite trips are to spend a few weeks in one place and do day trips.

Having said that, our itinerary was really enjoyable. Why? The ports were lovely and except for Taormina, we got off the ship and we were right there.

In Ravenna, we toured the mosaics on our own. In Koper, we were taking the public bus to Piran, and a taxi van stopped and offered to take the people at the bus stop for a good rate, so that's what we did! In Kotor we walked around the old town on our own, then took a boat to the island with the church (I forget the name) and Perast. We found the boat right in town. No hassle.

We did do a Jewish Tour (very little Jewish left) in Dubrovnik and then walked the wall (very hot in October).In Malta, we did our first ever HOHO bus tour and went to lovely Medina and ate in a Restaurant overlooking the water.

I don't know if you are going to Naples. We chose the Archeological museum because we once spent 9 days in Sorrento and had seen much of the area before. We asked the ticket seller at the museum to recommend a good local pizza place and we went to one with only locals, a terrace with a view, and delicious pizza for 4 euros each!

Then from Catania we went to Taormina. I think we took the ship transfer.

So, now I hope I haven't confused you more!

Really it's a win, win situation!

Have fun deciding and please let us know!

Edited by Can'tstopcruising

:) My strategy is just the opposite. If there is a trip/cruise I want to take I make reservations knowing that I can think about it and always cancel B4 final payment if I change my mind.

Now does this make one of us a half full traveler and the other a half empty traveler? :D

Edited by SPacificbound
to add

My opinion is that I cruise to enjoy the cruise experience and get a taste of the ports. My experience has been that cruising does not allow time to truly see and experience the country I am visiting. The best example is a New Zealand cruise I took following back surgery because I couldn't do much more than walk. It was my second cruise, but the first was to Galapagos which is a very different cruise experience. I fell in love with cruising, but did not see even a single 1% of what New Zealand has to offer. I have taken 5 self driven land tours in NZ, and although small on a map there is more to see in a short distance than one can imagine. On our South Pacific cruise we stopped at two of the worst Fiji ports I can imagine. I will continue to cruise because I love spending quality time with my husband, but I will never see it as a means of visiting a country. I will continue to do land tours to truly see a country. I'm working on a 6 week trip to Scotland with a focus only on the highlands, and I am already wishing I had another two weeks! If you are passionate about Italy, I would opt for the land trip.

I just spent some time reading about Kotor and looking at photos and it really is beautiful and unusual! Hmm... still thinking about it...:confused:

And I did check on hotels and our preferred choices are indeed available (as of today, anyway).

Kotor is a World Heritage site.

We spent a land holiday once in Hvar, an island off the coast of Split. That too is stunning, as is most of the old Yugoslavia. In fact we loved it so much, we returned for a 2 centre holiday based at Bled ( in the north) and Dubrovnik- worth the cost just to walk on the walls, for our 25th Wedding Anniversary.

We spoke to a couple on board our Infinity TA last year, who had spent 6 weeks

in Europe using hand luggage only. I was surprised that it was doable, but I suppose if you don't dress for Formal nights, then it may be possible.

Edited by upwarduk

My opinion is that I cruise to enjoy the cruise experience and get a taste of the ports. My experience has been that cruising does not allow time to truly see and experience the country I am visiting. The best example is a New Zealand cruise I took following back surgery because I couldn't do much more than walk. It was my second cruise, but the first was to Galapagos which is a very different cruise experience. I fell in love with cruising, but did not see even a single 1% of what New Zealand has to offer. I have taken 5 self driven land tours in NZ, and although small on a map there is more to see in a short distance than one can imagine. On our South Pacific cruise we stopped at two of the worst Fiji ports I can imagine. I will continue to cruise because I love spending quality time with my husband, but I will never see it as a means of visiting a country. I will continue to do land tours to truly see a country. I'm working on a 6 week trip to Scotland with a focus only on the highlands, and I am already wishing I had another two weeks! If you are passionate about Italy, I would opt for the land trip.

Well said. I completely agree. Fiji is one of my favourite countries, but those ports that big ships dock at are awful.

I think the OP's gut is telling him something and he should listen to it.

I also like the earlier post about tossing a coin. I would know in a second as I would either want to toss again or feel a sense of relief.

We have two trips booked, and over the weekend, website down, they were gone when we logged in, one Royal and one Celebrity. I was thinking about whether we were real fussed if they had been wiped, and yep, we still want to go. For us the destinations are not so important, we enjoy the cruising, but also do look for destinations we like.

I agree, on a cruise you don't get a lot of time at a location on a port day, but on a cruise you get to see several places without the transport between them being hard work, like long drives. And we love sitting watching the sea go by.

We are looking to pack a lot less next trip. I have looked on several blogs and youtube etc. We are working towards that by clearing out stuff at home. How much do you really need?

We will be visiting Kotor this Sept. on Equinox. I am looking at the excursions offered by Celebrity. Did you use them or did you set up private excursions? If private, which tour company did you use? Which of the 2 excursions was your favorite as this may be the only time we get to Kotor.

Thanks for the info.

We, too, thought Kotor was a wonderful port.

We did not take any formal tours. The walled old city is small enough to easily explore on one's own, with many shops and sidewalk cafes.

We climbed to the old fortress above the city for spectacular views of the city and surrounding fjords. It was the very best part of our day in Kotor, and highly recommended, if you are at all fit. There are many many steps and switchbacks, with amazing vistas the whole way up and back down.

• 2 weeks later...