Breakaway vs Summit?

jfried8

We are currently booked on the Breakaway in August but can get a Sky Suite for the same price as our aft balcony on the Breakaway. We are in our 20's but don't drink and aren't major party people. Should we reconsider and book the Summit? If so, why?

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

They are 2 different experiences, so it is hard to say. You'll find a lot of people here on the Celebrity boards who would never sail NCL but we don't feel that way, although we do prefer Celebrity. NCL is lively, casual, energetic with bright decor (not tacky) and lots of options for dining and entertainment. Celebrity is more dignified, sedate, elegant. The dress code is observed by almost everyone on Celebrity with 2 formal nights and 5 smart casual nights, while NCL has pretty much no dress code, wear what you want when you want including shorts all evening long. The food in the MDR is better on Celebrity but we love the choice of specialty restaurants on NCL and don't mind the surcharges. You won't find a lot of entertainment on Celebrity, it's more about enjoying your own company in a dignified, classy environment. Our last 2 cruises and our upcoming one are all on Celebrity, but we have liked NCL on a port intensive cruise or in Bermuda where we want to come and go as we please, dressed as we like on the days and nights in port. I think it depends more on what you are looking for in a vacation.

I have been on NCL and they are different experiences. Another difference is the smoking policy. Celebrity has one of the strictest in the industry, NCL,not so much.

As an aside, Breakaway brokedown in the middle of NY harbor today, looked really odd sitting in the middle of the Hudson River. Some kind of propulsion problem, I'm sure will be fixed shortly.

Edited by dkjretired

I’ve been on 2 NCL’s and have written rather positive reviews.

And I’ll get flamed but I’ll say this anyways. One reason I like X more is the crowd. Yes, sadly I have no choice but to leave out of NJ, so the typical NJ/NYC element will be there, i.e….more pushers, shovers, and rude people. (not all, but easily more noticeable than leaving out of Fla)

If you aren’t into partying, and perhaps you like decorum, and don’t want too much of a baggy pants-backwards hat element on your vacation, then Celebrity is the choice.

The posters above have truly nailed it. I have sailed on the Breakaway, and it was a fun cruise. Would I go back? I'll never say never, but probably not. I don't like people in shorts and ball caps in specialty dining, or cruising with a bazillion kids (my kids are grown up now), and I am reaching the point where I won't cruise on lines that allow smoking on balconies.

It was a fun cruise - lots of energy - walked the plank, climbed the rock wall - danced a lot, and partied. Bermuda was amazing. I don't really call it Freestyle when you are planning what night to eat in what restaurant and what night are we booking which show - 45 days in advance. :rolleyes: The entertainment is definitely not all that on the Summit, but it depends upon what you're looking for in your vacation. It is all about what YOU want.;) Do you want a suite experience on a more adult oriented, more sedate cruise line, or do you want entertainment, oodles of physical activities, 28 or so dining venues, Rock of Ages, Burn the Floor, Cirque, etc?