Jewel Drydock in SF - Let the Games Begin!

CarlsDad

Oh please yes, please keep those fingers crossed! I think I am bad luck for the Jewel and drydock. Last time she was DD'ed, I was on the first sailing after and our sailing was delayed/shortened by a day after an accident in the shipyard.. Had I known about this DD, I would not have booked this particular week, just to keep it from happening again, but I'm grateful they have scheduled this one to be longer, just in case of accidents... Maybe they knew I would be on board again? :D;).

Robin

At least you know there is the potential of issues and can roll with it. :thumbup:

Our first cruise right out of Drydock left late and was under provisioned (with both crew and beer and wine). A good laugh in retrospect! :D

They didn't schedule it longer in case of accidents! I work in occupational safety and I really wish they would put more time for safety into the schedule, but the reality is if they scheduled it for 12 days, that means they have 14 days worth of work to cram into 12.

Obviously, cruise ships make zero dollars when they're dry docked. No one is adding extra days to that just because...

I didn't think they built in extra time just because, more that the longer drydock will give them more time to make up for possible problems. And happy that this docking problem took place on the front end of the DD, rather than at the back end, where there would be less time to "make it up". Perhaps they will forego a planned update or two if needed to get her out on time. Last time, she was DD'ed for seven days total, and that included transfer time from NYC-BOS and back again and was for azipod issues - The crane accident happened on the last DD day, and there was no time on the end to make changes to shorten the delay. If I remember correctly, the delay was not for finishing the work, but for an investigation of the accident. We had huge problems getting the right amount of money back (never got it) on the last one for a 1 1/2 day delay, and this one will be even worse the way out reservation is set up - hope we don't have to deal with that again.

I agree they should plan enough time for occupational safety.. To not do so is just asking for problems.

Robin

Edited by Fishbait17

I doubt they lost much or any time. Had they gotten in last night real work would not have started until this morning.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

I agree. As they were able to dock very early this morning I would think yesterday didn't not put them far behind much if at all (any more than they put themselves behind with wanting to get as much done as possible in 12 days).

So, I notice that NCL.com still shows the current (old) deck plans. Are the new ones available anywhere?

(And why doesn't NCL do like other lines and show "pre" and "post" deck plans like other lines do? ...I know people here won't know the answer to that one.)

I made it over to Mission Bay today and was able to grab some photos of the Jewel all laid up in dry dock. She is at BAE Systems, at the end of 20th Street in San Francisco. A decent viewing area is easily accessible from a public pier on Tony Francois St and Mission Bay St.

1.jpg

There was a good amount of activity as you can imagine.

1a.jpg

Most of what could seen (and heard) was the work to the Azipods and other work in the stern. If you notice the blue tarp on the left, that says "ABB" -- ABB being the manufacturer of the Azipods. Nice to see ABB there working on their own stuff...

2.jpg

A look forward didn't reveal much activity near the bridge. There appeared to be zero activity in the beloved Spinnaker Lounge. If you zoom into the image, you can see the round-y chairs by the windows of the Spinnaker sitting there.

3.jpg

There was a great deal of crane activity. The crane positioned on the port side was loading skip boxes into the pool deck.

4.jpg

The lifeboats/tenders were all removed and placed in there own dry dock. Only one was viewable.

5.jpg

I have several more images, but they are mostly close-ups of the same things, including a close-up of the Spinnaker windows. They are large and unedited right off the camera. I have placed them here (uploading now) for those who are interested...

http://mrose.org/cc/jewel-drydock/all

Edited by triptolemus

where to and when is her first voyage after dry dock? Any space left on that?

After the dry dock she will head to Seattle and being the Seattle/Alaska round trips for the season... the first one is on May 17. Insides, Oceanviews and balconies remain. Everything else is sold out.

They're really doing something to the aft suites...check out the handrails. And that weird crap on deck 10 center balcony...looks like a pile of chairs or something???

aft1.jpg

And, as expected, a flurry of activity outside of Cagney's -- for the Star Bar / Moderno transformation, no doubt.

cagneys.jpg

Edited by triptolemus

Triptomlemus, thanks so much for the pictures!! It's so much fun to watch things get done! They better not wreck my balcony with that crane :D lol.. Looks like a bird on the hot tub roof up in the GV there, never noticed that before, maybe a fake owl to scare off the obnoxious birds? Or maybe just part of the crane behind that looks like a bird... Thanks again!

Robin

Edited by Fishbait17

Yeah, Robin... you're welcome. I'm a little jealous. I was just on her in September. I love the Jewel... she's that "my ship" to me, but back in September, you could really see where she needed work done. It didn't ruin my time or anything, but seeing the rust spots and things...well, I'm glad she's getting taken care of. :)

Triptomlemus, thanks so much for the pictures!! It's so much fun to watch things get done! They better not wreck my balcony with that crane :D lol.. Looks like a bird on the hot tub roof up in the GV there, never noticed that before, maybe a fake owl to scare off the obnoxious birds? Or maybe just part of the crane behind that looks like a bird... Thanks again!

Robin

The hot tub is below on deck 14. The "owl" is on 15 on the sundeck.

The hot tub is below on deck 14. The "owl" is on 15 on the sundeck.

Isn't that the roof of the gazebo around the hot tub though? The hot tub roof is about even with the sun deck on 15 and has no deck directly above it.. In front and behind the hot tub gazebo roof are the front and rear upstairs sun decks on deck 15. I can see the hot tub right below it on deck 14 on the downstairs outdoor deck.

Robin

Edited by Fishbait17

They're really doing something to the aft suites...check out the handrails. And that weird crap on deck 10 center balcony...looks like a pile of chairs or something???

aft1.jpg

Whats different about the rails? am I missing something?

They are supposed to be updating the suites.

They are supposed to be updating the suites.

All I see are the raised handrails for the HC rooms.

Whats different about the rails? am I missing something?

Look at two of the handrails on deck 9 - one where the painter is. Two of them are raised. Two on deck 11 port side as well... maybe they're raised for painting or replacement...

It's not important...it was just an observation.