Would you walk alone in Nassau in day time?

cpcanuck

I have...but only along the Main Street with all the touristy stores. I wouldn't walk too far on my own though. But just like any other city, one must be aware of their surroundings....;)

I'm not sure. I really did not feel comfortable at all there. That place scared the crap out of me at times. Probably mostly because I've always lived in small towns. But I've been all over the place in larger cities.

I was asked 3 times in the walk from the port to the british colonial Hilton if I wanted to buy drugs.

They weren't pushy. When I said no man I'm on vacation with my family they would nod and walk away.

I have...but only along the Main Street with all the touristy stores. I wouldn't walk too far on my own though. But just like any other city, one must be aware of their surroundings....;)

Same is true for me.

LuLu

My DH and I have walked thru town to get a Jitney, and have felt safe, the problem with our last walkabout was that DH fell on the oh so not safe sidewalk and turned his ankle,we got him to a bench to sit and rest, and two minutes later a woman fell in the same place and they had to call an ambulance. Lots of pretty sights in the windows of the stores, but walk up to them to look in, watch where your feet are going instead. My BF was there two weeks later and fell and sprained her hip. Watch where you walk, and be aware of things around you.

Edited by marshhawk

We were in Nassau a few days ago. It was very busy with tourists and locals. There were lots of police directing traffic and they gave us directions to the jitney. We felt safe in the downtown/touristy areas.

I'm on the fence about this. I am going on a short cruise with family this summer, and they do not want to get off in Nassau (I really can't blame my sister for not wanting to take her 4 & 6 year old off the ship there, especially now that I have been there). I was just there for the first time, and felt safe enough walking around with one (also female) friend, during the day. But it was still a little unnerving because of the way people harass you to buy stuff (which I also saw in Jamaica, to be fair)....they do not just take a "no" but will argue with you, follow you, etc. Then there was the guy trying to sell us drugs on our way back to the ship (fortunately he DID take no for an answer and kept walking). Pretty sure I don't want to walk around too long by myself, but I will have to do so long enough for conch fritters (which you can get in the complex right at the terminal), and a run to the Bacardi store. :D (I would NOT do so after dark...probably not even with a friend, honestly).

On the other hand, if you do something like take a water taxi to Paradise Island, that should be OK...but there wasn't much to do there that I could see, other than Atlantis, and some shops like we have back home (but hey I do have a nice "Bahamas" Starbucks mug now.:) ). They herd you from the terminal to the water taxi spot, so there is little chance to get into any trouble, and then it *seems* fairly safe once you get over there. We got a nice little tour, too. That probably wouldn't be bad to do alone.

Edited by fluffysue

I understand the recent upturn in crime on Nassau but this isn't like walking thru the South Bronx at midnight. Come on folks. You get off the ship there are literally thousands of people all around you. there are shops, cars, taxis and plenty of cops. Sure you need to be aware of your surroundings, but this area has to be the safest around. I'm sure there are people trying to sell drugs, but we were there and NO ONE ever approached us about buying drugs. Give me a break here.

We walked from the cruise ship to the zoo. I reported afterwards that if I had to do it over again, I would have taken the jitney, but only because once you get away from the crowds in the main area of the city, we were walking alone for quite a few blocks. As long as you stay in the touristy areas, you are probably just as safe as you would be walking in your own neighborhood.

Cheers

Len