Credit Card in Russian--Confused

We had planned to use our Capital One Visa card to pay for our tours with Alla Tours in St. Petersburg.

Someone on our roll call has posted that they were notified by Chase Bank that its credit cards could not longer be used in Russia.

I have read a couple of news stories and they made it sound like if you had a Russian bank issued Visa or Mastercard and that bank was on the sanctions list, it couldn't be used, not our USA issued card.

Does anyone specifically know what the rules are?

I hate to bring that much cash with me on the cruise.

We had planned to use our Capital One Visa card to pay for our tours with Alla Tours in St. Petersburg.

Someone on our roll call has posted that they were notified by Chase Bank that its credit cards could not longer be used in Russia.

I have read a couple of news stories and they made it sound like if you had a Russian bank issued Visa or Mastercard and that bank was on the sanctions list, it couldn't be used, not our USA issued card.

Does anyone specifically know what the rules are?

I hate to bring that much cash with me on the cruise.

I am traveling to St. Petersburg but not on a cruise ship ... I will have a visa. But it will make no difference how one arrives in St. Petersburg: ship, plane, train.

I received the following information from my credit card company:

"... due to recent sanctions against Russian banks, some imposed by the U.S. government. Because of this, transactions with the following Russian banks may be blocked:

Bank Rosyia

Sobinbank

InvestCapitalBank

Bank Sevemuy Morsoy Put (SMP Bank)

CB Investment Union LLC

European Express

Retionalny Commerchesky Bank

What does this mean if you're traveling in Russia?

Your credit and debit card purchases may be declined if the merchant is doing business with these banks."

I have already contacted Alla Tours and was advised that they do not do business with any of the above listed banks and that I could, indeed, use my credit card. Further, I was advised that the first cruise ships have already arrived in St. Petersburg and that there have been no problems with North Americans using their credit cards to pay for their tours with Alla ... none have been declined. :)

Hope this helps. :)

Edited by dogs4fun

Thank you so much.

I have left a note with Alla Tours but thought I would get a quicker response here.

My response from Alla Tours said the same thing--it can still accept our US credit cards.

• 2 weeks later...

First Hand Report:

Depends on which local bank processes vendor's credit card transactions.

If it is processed by any of the bank listed on the sanction list, it wil not go through (as it actually happened)

But in almost all other cases, it went through.

There is no way to know upfront unless you contact tour operator or hotel and ask for their experience.

Best way to enjoy SPB is of course on your own without being herded by an over expensive tour.

It is extremely inexpensive to do DIY without Russian Visa (and perfectly within Russian rules) by restricting your stay to 12, 36 or 60 hours and taking ST. Peterline's "shuttle".

Cabin for two cost only Euro 55 (includes two night accommodation - no requirement of having to purchase any meals). Have to pay Euro 25 for that "shuttle".

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Very glad to read that SPB Tours is having no problems accepting credit cards, as I just called Chase today to let them know my travel plans (we leave day after tomorrow) and I got the same message as dogs4fun.

Sparklebee - I'm just wondering when you paid Vika at SPB did you use a Chase Visa card?

as a matter of fact I DID use a Chase card, the United Airlines version.

Thanks SO MUCH for taking the time to respond!! That's a huge relief since I still haven't heard back from her and we are getting ready to leave. I was fairly certain it wouldn't be an issue but good to know for sure :)