Deadline for go/no-go decision?

My family is booked on a cruise sailing 5/23.

We told our young adult daughters, Patty and Cathy, they could each bring a friend on this trip, and we booked two cabins, one for my husband and myself and one that sleeps four for the girls and their friends.

Cathy had a friend identified at the time of the booking, so there are three passengers booked into that cabin.

Patty hasn't chosen a friend to join us yet. She's deciding whether or not she wants to come if she can't find a friend to bring along.

So I have two questions:

1. What is the last possible date we can add a fourth passenger to the girls' cabin?

2. What is the last possible date Patty can decide she just doesn't want to go? I know we won't get a refund on her cruise fare. (But maybe we'll get the pre-paid gratuities back? Or converted to an OBC? I hope?)

My family is booked on a cruise sailing 5/23.

We told our young adult daughters, Patty and Cathy, they could each bring a friend on this trip, and we booked two cabins, one for my husband and myself and one that sleeps four for the girls and their friends.

Cathy had a friend identified at the time of the booking, so there are three passengers booked into that cabin.

Patty hasn't chosen a friend to join us yet. She's deciding whether or not she wants to come if she can't find a friend to bring along.

So I have two questions:

1. What is the last possible date we can add a fourth passenger to the girls' cabin?

2. What is the last possible date Patty can decide she just doesn't want to go? I know we won't get a refund on her cruise fare. (But maybe we'll get the pre-paid gratuities back? Or converted to an OBC? I hope?)

It may already be to late. If the ship has reached it's passenger capacity or is sold out no one else could be added to your kids room even if it can hold another passenger. Royal will not let you know when the ship reaches it's capacity automatically.

You need to check on this ASAP with your TA or Royal Caribbean if you booked directly with them.

Thanks. I'll check before I press her again about finding someone...who has a passport.

And if she decides not to go, do I notify them? Or just show up without her and explain?

Does anyone know what becomes of the gratuities I paid for her? Will I still be charged for those? That would seem pretty unfair, because I only had to pre-pay them due to choosing MTD. If we'd chosen traditional dining, we'd get on board with 4 passengers and owe tips for four passengers, not five.

Edited by schlimazel_traveler

Thanks. I'll check before I press her again about finding someone...who has a passport.

And if she decides not to go, do I notify them? Or just show up without her and explain?

Does anyone know what becomes of the gratuities I paid for her? Will I still be charged for those? That would seem pretty unfair, because I only had to pre-pay them due to choosing MTD. If we'd chosen traditional dining, we'd get on board with 4 passengers and owe tips for four passengers, not five.

If a guest cancels or is a no show, prepaid gratuitues and taxes will be refunded.

Was the cabin booked originally for 4 people, ie, 3 named guests and 1 TBA guest? If so then names can be changed until about 3 days prior to the cruise, If it was booked as 3 people in a 4 capacity cabin, then, as another poster pointed out, you may not be able to add another guest as the ship may be at or near capacity. (There are more beds on every ship, than ships are allowed to carry)

It was booked (and paid for--I booked after final payment was due and had to pay on the spot) only for three passengers. The rep on the phone (I booked directly with RC) was completely aware that I planned to add a fourth passenger, and never mentioned the possibility that I might not be able to.

I am very glad I asked because Patty will be very upset if she finds someone who can go and we're not able to add a passenger!

I'll check.

If Patty cannot go, and you stand to lose the cruise fare if she cancels, I would also suggest that maybe Cathy could bring a second friend and you can do a name-change from Patty to the new person. At least that way, if Patty can't go, someone can sail in her place and you don't 'lose' the fare that you paid... someone else can use it.