Princess has become a 2nd rate cruise line!

Sue K

We recently took our 9th cruise with Princess and it will be our last! It is so sad to see how Princess has lost it's first class luster and service. If you have never cruised before you might think everything was fine but we had eight past cruises to compare it with. Carnival recently bought Princess and you can tell. It has become a 2nd class cruise line still charging 1st class fares. My cruise travel agent warned us but sad to say we didn't listen!

Ship, sailing date, nature of complaints????

Our 9th is coming up. I guess we've been fortunate because the only influences imposed by the Carnival merger have been relatively minor and the effects mostly subtle. Some things have actually improved.

Well now that I'm finally platinum and sailing on the Coral in December, I'm curious too. I find it odd that her travel agent warned her. I've heard nothing of the sort from anyone else. Is Princess suddenly so horrible that travel agents around the globe are advising people not to cruise Princess? Unlikely.

Fifteen Princess cruises and three more booked - they just keep gettin better and better or I am getting senile. I think the OP is a hit and run job trying to stir uo some controversy.

Ron

Well, that was sure useful.

"Hit and Run" postings like this should just be deleted. If someone can't even take the time to provide some details to substantiate their assertions, then they have zero credibility.

I just love the 2nd rate cruise line!

Funny but I had to use a different TA this time because mine is out for medical reasons. When I told the TA I was booking a Princess Cruise she said nothing but the best!

Simply amazing that someone would jump in here with their first post, make a statement like this and then not back it up with any details whatsoever. Once in awhile a cruise is not perfect, even on our beloved Princess line. But, I don't think I would ever make a rash statement like this unless I provided some very distinct details telling of what happened.

My guess would be this is one of those times that someone is complaining as everything didn't go perfectly.

But without details, it is very hard to read the OP's complaint and justify it in any way. Sorry OP, but you must return with details before we can even consider your statement as interesting! :o

I have six pages of comments on Word (which I sent to Princess) that I am happy to send to anyone else who wants them! If someone has not as yet seen the difference just wait. We have always been huge supporters of Princess - could have done commercials for them, but this cruise cured us. Our previous cruise was to Alaska and we noticed subtle differences. This cruise was to the Greek Isles and the differences were no longer subtle. We were in a mini suite and the cabin service was terrible. Unfortunately your tips can no longer show your dissatisfaction as they are automatically deducted. My husband must have made fifteen trips to the Purser's office during the cruise regarding wrong charges, billing mistakes, etc. There was always a long line there so I guess we weren't the only ones having problems. The airline routing Princess gave us was so weird we missed our whole first day onboard ship due to travel delays. Had they booked us the most efficient rout we would have made it. The apathy show by Princess was sad. On about the fifth trip down to ask for a letter for our insurance showing we missed the first day of cruising they told him, "Oh, our records show you got on the first day." What about all of the visits he made prior to this and the numerous phone calls we made in route to inform them we would not be there for pickup on the day we were supposed to arrive. They are so screwed up!

As it was our anniversary our children gave us a $500 onboard ship credit as a gift. Princess gave us $100 and we didn't find out until we got home. As Captain Circle platinum members we were to get free internet access. We were charged and in spite of repeated trips to the Purser's office to clear that up our final bill still had charges on it. The tour tickets we were supposed to have in our cabin were not there so the first day we almost missed our tour because we did not know the correct time the tour was to leave. (Another trip to the Purser's office.) They now have special restaurants with extra charges for special dinners. All their food used to be that good, now we have to pay extra for it? There no longer are the grand extravaganza dessert nights, no more gifts for Captain's Circle members, no more tableside Ceasar salad or pasta preparations. Things that used to be included in our cruise fare are now charged for - shall I go on?

We booked our cruise through Orbitz which has a huge cruise department that books millions of dollars worth of cruises a year. Our travel agent, (I can give you his name if you e-mail me) says they are no longer reccomending Princess. I think people need to know how Princess has changed so no one else has to go through what we did.

Well all I have to say is one more open cabin - hope it was a balcony. :)

Nine cruises with Princess - I personally don't believe it. :confused:

Ooops, just saw her posting when I hit the submit button. Now I must read the post and will she change my mind????

Sue.. Thanks for reposting.. Sounds like you indeed had a bad experience.. I would enjoy reading your letter. My email is listed under "interests" in my profile.. Click on my name here then profile..

Sue, I have sailed enough times on Princess to have gained Elite status and have loved every cruise. That's not to say that everything has always been perfect; but enough so to keep bringing me back, back and back again. Sorry you were left with such negative feelings about Princess, and it does appear that you had the "cruise from hell." Hopefully this was just one of those times that anything that could go wrong, did. If you've had mostly good experiences from Princess, I would think it would be worth another try. If not, I do wish you well on whatever future line you select.

Another one post wonder.. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: I suggest to the Moderators that if the OP does not respond or post again, that this post be deleted..

I agree, even though there has been a second post with little real details (ship, sailing date still missing!!!!)

The inevitable next response will be, "I thought this was a site to share information and all I have received is abuse. All opinions should be welcomed. I'm just trying to pass on important information to those who might be considering a Princess cruise. You must all be employed by Princess."

At the very least, it's been 5 years since the OP sailed on Princess. Not sure what the expectations were. I seriously doubt that any large on-line booking engine like the one mentioned is turning anyone away. Their business is bookings, pure and simple. If the agent is as professional as the OP indicated, the changes that have been made since the days of tableside Caesar Salad preparation are well known and could have been easily communicated.

I know, I should be more understanding of the OP, but I have to be honest and state that I don't suffer fools well. Therefore, my opinion, even if not liked by some, has as much merit as the next.

Sue, I too would like to read your letter if you would like to share. My email address is also in my profile.

We had our first Princess cruise in June to Alaska, and I have to admit...several small annoyances made me wonder about Princess overall. We are willing to chalk it up to (hopefully) an "off day" and will be on the CB in November to give it another chance before making any permanent decisions!

As far as the "cut backs" go...I'm afraid you will see the same occuring on most lines in order to keep prices down. Unfortunately...a sign of the times!!

Sorry to hear you were disappointed and hope it didn't ruin your vacation entirely!!

Deb

Just for the record, Carnival merged with P&O Princess Cruise Line in April 2003. I did not cruise with Princess prior to the merger, so I can't say if service and quality have suffered. But my limited experience with Princess after the merger has been very positive. I suspect that they have done some cost cutting to try to stay profitable (as did most travel related industries after the 9/11 slump in travel business). So some people may notice a difference compared to pre-9/11 travel. The merger will get the blame for the changes, but I suspect that the differences are due to economic pressures, not due to the parent company.

When you are really dissatified with the cruise line, it is probably a good idea to choose another where you will hopefully have a better situation. As for my husband and I, we sailed with another cruise company (just to experience another line) and we came right back to Princess. We have also sailed on Carnival with our children and had a wonderful cruise experience. Remember Carnival owns Cunard.

Archived