The Sea Called...We Answered! Our Week Onboard the Oasis 4/26-5/3...Western Caribbea

I love the review and feel like I'm there!!!

2 questions...did you see Freestyle Machines in the Windjammer? I thought I had read there were 2 there. I did the soda package only for the freestyle machines (I LOVE them!) and hadn't realized only 1 on deck 15--but if I remember, it's not that much of a pain to run up to Windjammer from there? I will also probably be at Flowriders a lot with kids--so hopefully easy to grab the Freestyle from there?

Also...how on earth did you manage to wake up so early every day??? We found that with just going to one show and walking around afterwards, we were out until midnight! We are in an ocean view room this time so hoping keeping the blinds open and the natural light will help--but last time the alarm going off at 7am was terrible!

1FF90EA6-2996-4442-A399-9B44F7C22212_zpsunuwe4wl.jpg

A make your own salad from the salad bar

3EC699B0-E728-4925-A6ED-6F65B8C95DD9_zpsxzb4ozyx.jpg

Pork Jerk Wrap

The food selection is the same everyday except for the soup selection which changes daily. I found myself looking forward to that salad and wrap everyday for lunch. My DH was in love with their egg salad sandwiches and the famous Kummelwreck Sandwich. The bun they used for those roast beef sandwiches was delicious. Sometimes we would stop and grab a bag of chips from the cafe on the way back to our cabin as a snack. They also had perfect sized fruit cups that were easy to take along as well. The dessert and beverage bar in the cafe offered specialty beers that were not found at every bar on the ship. It's nice to find smaller less crowded bars to use the package for.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Where was the salad bar?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I love the review and feel like I'm there!!!

2 questions...did you see Freestyle Machines in the Windjammer? I thought I had read there were 2 there. I did the soda package only for the freestyle machines (I LOVE them!) and hadn't realized only 1 on deck 15--but if I remember, it's not that much of a pain to run up to Windjammer from there? I will also probably be at Flowriders a lot with kids--so hopefully easy to grab the Freestyle from there?

Also...how on earth did you manage to wake up so early every day??? We found that with just going to one show and walking around afterwards, we were out until midnight! We are in an ocean view room this time so hoping keeping the blinds open and the natural light will help--but last time the alarm going off at 7am was terrible!

There are four freestyle machines on deck 16 on each side of the windjammer. But sometimes when the windjammer closes they also close their doors. The last night of the cruise we were walking around and the one entrance to the windjammer was open and we were able to fill up. I don't know if that door was open because crew was in there cleaning or because they actually do leave the door open for the machines. Getting from the flow riders to the arcade for the machine is super quick. There are also two in the promenade.

For some reason on vacation I can't sleep late like if I were home. I guess it's excitement and also a mid day nap poolside helps lol. We did stay out kinda late to but didn't push ourselves to much if we were tired. I love early mornings on a ship so it was more fun than a chore to get up. O yea did I mention a good amount of coffee lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Where was the salad bar?

Salad bar was in park cafe but the MDR on sea days also have the tutti salad bar. Unfortunately we weren't able to make it to the MDR for lunch.

Enjoying your review - Thanks:)

We are on the Oasis Westbound TA in October and this will be our first RCL cruise so learning lots from your posts.

We rarely drink alcohol so I was thinking of getting the replenish package to get the flavoured waters from the machine but if the doors are locked to the windjammer I don't want to be schlepping all over for water - hmmm, maybe a bottle of MIO and my starbucks will surfice. Starbucks is not included in the package so that would be extra anyway:eek:

Enjoying your review - Thanks:)

We are on the Oasis Westbound TA in October and this will be our first RCL cruise so learning lots from your posts.

We rarely drink alcohol so I was thinking of getting the replenish package to get the flavoured waters from the machine but if the doors are locked to the windjammer I don't want to be schlepping all over for water - hmmm, maybe a bottle of MIO and my starbucks will surfice. Starbucks is not included in the package so that would be extra anyway:eek:

Bottles water is offered at every bar and specialty coffee besides Starbucks is included as well. For us we felt we weren't able to get as much use out of the machines as we have on other ships. You could load up a Starbucks card at home and bring it with you because they do take giftcards!

Bottles water is offered at every bar and specialty coffee besides Starbucks is included as well. For us we felt we weren't able to get as much use out of the machines as we have on other ships. You could load up a Starbucks card at home and bring it with you because they do take giftcards!

Really they take shoreside gift cards? Really gd to know when you buy at Starbucks do you use your sea pass or cash,cc?

What were the average prices at Starbucks on the ship? Need to know how much to load the Starbucks card up with. :)

What were the average prices at Starbucks on the ship? Need to know how much to load the Starbucks card up with. :)

Prices were pretty much the same as home give or take a few cents.

Really they take shoreside gift cards? Really gd to know when you buy at Starbucks do you use your sea pass or cash,cc?

You use your seapass like usual but have the option to use a Starbucks card as well. This is only good on allure and oasis because they are free standing stores.

Day 2: At Sea

We made our way to the beach pool and grabbed an umbrella and two lounge chairs. Now mind you the sun had just come up it's not even 7am yet and there were already people in the hot tub and a few chairs with belongings on them.

imagejpg54_zpsf01c9a36.jpg

We settled into our seats only to realize not only did we land a great spot poolside but also front row seats to the greatest show Royal Caribbean has to offer. I present to you.... The Battle of the Pool Chairs!! We had noticed that there were seats already taken by towels and other odds and ends but only a few people around the pool deck. The head pool attendant was walking around with another attendant assessing the situation. After thirty minutes had passed and the chairs owners were no where to be found, the pool staff came around with large clear bags and put all the chairs belongings in them. This was a very routine process that had occurred all week long. Thirty minutes pass your belongings are in a plastic bag at the towel station. Another technique that the pool staff incorporated was "chair marking", very similar to marking tires. The towels on the chairs were folded in a unique way and after thirty minutes if the towels were still folded the same way you would find yourself at the towel station to claim your belongings. We struck up a conversation with a friendly attendant who explained to us that going for breakfast or lunch was fine and that leaving your chair was not the issue, but disappearing after claiming chairs was. This seemed to be a shock to some who came back to their chair after hours of being gone only to find someone else sitting there. We did witness some mild altercations and some "who me!? I was only gone for five minutes". This show went on all week! It didn't matter if it was a sea day or port day getting a seat at the pool was an Olympic sport. We realized that morning the only way to take home the gold was to be up before sunrise.

I thought I was an early bird to get to the Beach Pool by around 7:30. I guess I'm going to have to step up my game!

The show of the chair hog dance is definitely an interesting one. Your description is wonderful

Thank you so much. I look forward to reading about the next day of your cruise. I have a few random questions:

1) Was it as difficult to get a lounge chair in the Solarium? Do you enjoy the beach pool more than the solarium?

2) Did you go to 150 Park Central for 1st menu or 2nd menu? I know you will be giving us the wonderful review soon. I wanted to go on day3 but they only had reservations at 8:30 and that was too late for us. So we are going on day 6. But I thought the menu for 1st part of cruise looked a little better. The dessert on 1st part is BITTERSWEET CHOCOLATE BOURBON TART and on 2nd part is GREEK YOGURT PANNA COTTA. Below is the menu for the 2nd part of the week.

SIX COURSE TASTING MENU

BOREK FARMS BEETS

roasted, puréed, pickled, shavedrobiola cheese, pistachio, citrus

BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP

crispy chorizo, spiced pumpkin seeds, Swank Farms onion sprouts

HOMEMADE CRABMEAT RAVIOLINI

Swank Farms chiles, mint, breadcrumbs, lemon

PAN ROASTED POMPANO

artichoke purée, roasted porcini, truffle-mushroom vinaigrette, Swank Farms sorrel

SLOW ROASTED AND GRILLED HARRIS RANCH SHORT RIB

romesco sauce, toasted hazelnuts, caramelized cipollini onion, Swank Farms cress

GREEK YOGURT PANNA COTTA

baklava, pomegranate

Edited by taylortime05

There was a variety of nine donuts everyday with eight being the staples and one being the donut of the day.

7BACF95B-1C9B-478A-AF19-BBDB76385922_zpszjoeroa3.jpg

Key Lime

Key Lime Donuts!!!! I love these. I don't eat a lot of donuts, but Key Lime donuts are a real treat!

Thank you so much. I look forward to reading about the next day of your cruise. I have a few random questions:

1) Was it as difficult to get a lounge chair in the Solarium? Do you enjoy the beach pool more than the solarium?

2) Did you go to 150 Park Central for 1st menu or 2nd menu? I know you will be giving us the wonderful review soon. I wanted to go on day3 but they only had reservations at 8:30 and that was too late for us. So we are going on day 6. But I thought the menu for 1st part of cruise looked a little better. The dessert on 1st part is BITTERSWEET CHOCOLATE BOURBON TART and on 2nd part is GREEK YOGURT PANNA COTTA. Below is the menu for the 2nd part of the week.

SIX COURSE TASTING MENU

BOREK FARMS BEETS

roasted, puréed, pickled, shavedrobiola cheese, pistachio, citrus

BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP

crispy chorizo, spiced pumpkin seeds, Swank Farms onion sprouts

HOMEMADE CRABMEAT RAVIOLINI

Swank Farms chiles, mint, breadcrumbs, lemon

PAN ROASTED POMPANO

artichoke purée, roasted porcini, truffle-mushroom vinaigrette, Swank Farms sorrel

SLOW ROASTED AND GRILLED HARRIS RANCH SHORT RIB

romesco sauce, toasted hazelnuts, caramelized cipollini onion, Swank Farms cress

GREEK YOGURT PANNA COTTA

baklava, pomegranate

Getting a chair in the solarium was a little easier but by no means easy. We had perfect weather all week so the pool was always busy. At the solarium on a sea day it was just as difficult to get a seat as the main pool area was. The port days the solarium had vacant seats. Sea or port day though by 730 8 the latest the beach pool was filled. We enjoyed the beach pool because it was completely open air and we had an umbrella with a little table attached. Plus we could hear the band playing all afternoon. The main pool area is hopping during the day, it's fun! When we wanted more peace and quite we headed to the solarium. By no means do you get a break from the sun in the solarium as it is all glass and very little shade. What you do get is a nice breeze by the windows and also magnificent views of the ocean.

For 150 we had gone the second half of the week but the menu was reversed from what you had listed. We had the menu with the chocolate bourbon tart. Let me tell you that was a slice of heaven on a fork lol! The menu with the Greek yogurt was the first half of the week and did not appeal that much to us. Don't worry I'll cover that whole section with a lot of details and pictures.

Thank you so much for following!

You can get coffee (included, not speciality) in Park Cafe, right? Thinking of stopping there after the jogging track in the morning!

There is a group meeting for a 5k every morning at 7.

Did you make your speciality dining reservations before the cruise? I am hoping that once on board I can switch Giovanni's on day 3 with 150 Central Park on day 6 so I can have that cake that you said was heaven. I could reserve 150 Central Park at 8:30 on day 3 but that seems like so much food to eat that late.

Did you make your speciality dining reservations before the cruise? I am hoping that once on board I can switch Giovanni's on day 3 with 150 Central Park on day 6 so I can have that cake that you said was heaven. I could reserve 150 Central Park at 8:30 on day 3 but that seems like so much food to eat that late.

We only made Giovanni's pre cruise everything else was on the ship. We had no problem getting the times we wanted once onboard. 150 you need to allow a full 2 hours for the whole experience so if you don't like eating late take that into consideration.