The Sea Called...We Answered! Our Week Onboard the Oasis 4/26-5/3...Western Caribbea

I am enjoying your review! We sail on Oasis for the 1st time on June 7. We are cruising with first time RC cruisers. We are looking forward to it!

We are Cruising with you also on June 7th Debbie! Only 22 days on the ticker.

We are Cruising with you also on June 7th Debbie! Only 22 days on the ticker.

Yep! We leave 3 weeks from today for FL. Getting so excited! Jury duty on June 2nd has put a little damper on it. I hope they let me go!

Day 2: Our night in the Boardwalk

Now since I am a mind reader, I know what everyone is thinking. It's formal night and they are not going to the dining room in a penguin suit and ball gown!? Don't call the dress code police just yet, I can explain! Some cruises we love to do formal night and others we don't want anything to do with it. It really depends on our mood. Now this is just our opinion but we would never go to the MDR on formal night unless we were dressed the part. So, on the formal nights we decide not to partake in we make other dining arrangements. That is how we ended up at the Seafood Shack.

Now this probably sounds cheesy but what isn't when it comes to cruise planning. Since the Oasis class has so many options I like to plan theme nights. We did this on the Allure and enjoyed it! Night one we went to Chops in Central Park which is a replica of a New York steakhouse and then went to Hairspray, a Broadway show. Night two we went to the Seafood Shack, Oasis of Dreams in the Aqua theater, mini golf, and the carousel. Get the pattern? A night in the city and a night on the boardwalk! Yes I know, super corny but fun. Hey it is the nation of why not!

So after we spent some time on our balcony and got ready for dinner we headed downstairs to the boardwalk but not before a pit stop at Guest Services. It was only day two but we were anxious to contact home. DH and I were each due an hour of free internet from Crown & Anchor. In the past it had been thirty minutes each so this was a nice upgrade in the program. Also in the past we would apply the credit by visiting Guest Services but this time we were informed there was a much easier and quicker way to do it. All we would have to do is visit the computer labs located on deck 7 & 9 forward and follow the directions on the computer to apply the credits ourselves. We decided to wait on the computer and instead get our boardwalk night started!

On the Allure we never got a chance to ride the carousel, so we made it a priority this time. It really had a vintage feel to it. They even had an attendant ringing the bell for stop and starting. We each hoped on a horse and for a few minutes we were kids again. To our surprise though, the carousel went around so fast we couldn't stay on for to long. It's kinda funny to think you would get motion sickness not from the ship but from a carousel on the ship!

imagejpg3_zps7bc02f54.jpg

imagejpg7_zps59f8dd5c.jpg

imagejpg14_zps254b2d0e.jpg

imagejpg16_zps1098a859.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We wanted to build our appetite a little more so we decided to walk the boardwalk shops and take some more pictures.

imagejpg4_zps84bab7d6.jpg

imagejpg2_zpsb4c9b696.jpg

Pets at Sea which is similar to a Build a Bear and The Ice cream Parlor

imagejpg5_zpse864f4e5.jpg

Johnny Rockets available for a small fee for lunch and complimentary breakfast

imagejpg11_zpsceb021b8.jpg

The Boardwalk Bar is great for a pre show drink or a complimentary afternoon snack such as veggies and dip or shrimp and noodle salad. Since we are on a boardwalk we can't forget about popcorn and cotton candy available for $2

imagejpg28_zpsb4945546.jpg

Rock Walls are located on either side back of the boardwalk

The Boardwalk also has a kids souvenir store, a self serve candy shop, an adults clothing store which features some well known brands like Puma and Roxy and also a novelty photography studio available at a fee.

On the Allure we dined at Rita's twice. Once for the Fiesta and once for dinner. We got a kick out of it and despite the overwhelming majority of negative reviews from CC and elsewhere we did enjoy the food. We also went into it with the proper expectations. We were going to a chain like Mexican restaurant that served most deep fried not so authentic food. When we walked into the Seafood Shack we also went in with the same expectations. Boardwalk style food similar to what you would get at the Jersey shore boardwalk. If we went in expecting 150 Central Park quality then of course we would be disappointed!

The Seafood Shack does not require reservations and is open all day for lunch and dinner. We did not go for the Surfs Up party but instead just for a regular dinner. The fee is per item ordered and in my opinion it is extremely reasonable for what you get.

imagejpg6_zps3ac7db6f.jpg

imagejpg17_zpsddbee42c.jpg

The menus are surfboards made out of wood

imagejpg15_zpsed3a9222.jpg

4AD43BDE-72FE-4BC8-B77D-A3CCC7367E1F_zpsq7bfcy5k.jpg

They start you off with complimentary chips and salsa

We had decided to try a few different appetizers

32670207-0097-4B4D-9B1E-8CEFC9A37E67_zpsfwxrmkqs.jpg

Chicken Drummets

786F5EB1-742E-465B-9F16-AD7B10218400_zpsosx3xaop.jpg

Crisp-Fried Calamari

0B011D62-1E6D-4114-838B-1B0AF6DF3982_zpsadulqrs8.jpg

Coconut Shrimp served as appetizer size or as shown here entree size

My DH loves clam chowder so he ordered himself one. It came in a giant bread bowl. At this point in the week we figured we would be missing lobster night in the MDR because we swore off formal nights all together this cruise, so we decided to order the lobster plate served here. It was two six ounce lobster tails split and grilled. It was served with rice and a corn chutney and it was excellent and in my opinion worth it. All entree items do come with either French fries or sweet potato fries. The drink package did work here so we ordered some Red Stripe beers and a glass of white wine.

53E775C7-8341-4FB5-864D-13279F8214F2_zpsugu3bzdw.jpg

Key Lime Pie with a meringue top served with whipped cream and rainbow sprinkles

While we were eating we noticed the crowds piling into the Aqua Theater for the 9 o'clock showing of Oasis of Dreams. The Boardwalk was super packed and I was glad at that point that we were going to the 10:45 showing.

There were only two other tables occupied while we were eating and that seemed to be the case at the Seafood Shack all week. We had enjoyed it very much and would return again.

A side note:

Remember earlier in my review I mentioned that the begging by crew to eat in the speciality restaurants would be a theme throughout the week? Well we had an experience while ink the middle of our meal at the Seafood Shack. While we were eating dinner someone from Izumi had come over and handed us their menu and his card. He explained their menu to us and told us to call him for a reservation and if I remember correctly he mentioned receiving 20% off. I don't mind being solicited too but while we were actually eating a meal was a bit much. Anyway my DH and I don't eat sushi and Miso Soup and tempura was not enough to draw us in. We took his card anyway and said thank you.

Up Next: Oasis Dunes and Oasis of Dreams

Yep! We leave 3 weeks from today for FL. Getting so excited! Jury duty on June 2nd has put a little damper on it. I hope they let me go!

We are arriving in Ft. Lauderdale for the same sailing 3 weeks from today! There are a a few of us here being voyeurs on this thread. I'm getting so excited.

Getting a chair in the solarium was a little easier but by no means easy. We had perfect weather all week so the pool was always busy. At the solarium on a sea day it was just as difficult to get a seat as the main pool area was. The port days the solarium had vacant seats. Sea or port day though by 730 8 the latest the beach pool was filled. We enjoyed the beach pool because it was completely open air and we had an umbrella with a little table attached. Plus we could hear the band playing all afternoon. The main pool area is hopping during the day, it's fun! When we wanted more peace and quite we headed to the solarium. By no means do you get a break from the sun in the solarium as it is all glass and very little shade. What you do get is a nice breeze by the windows and also magnificent views of the ocean.

For 150 we had gone the second half of the week but the menu was reversed from what you had listed. We had the menu with the chocolate bourbon tart. Let me tell you that was a slice of heaven on a fork lol! The menu with the Greek yogurt was the first half of the week and did not appeal that much to us. Don't worry I'll cover that whole section with a lot of details and pictures.

Thank you so much for following!

I was finally able to switch my reservation for 150 to 1st half of the week so we will get to try that chocolate bourbon tart. I hope I am right on the menu - that is what is showing when I pull up my reservation and then look at the restaurants.

I don't know what our plan will be for the pool. There are 5 of us. I know my adult kids will not be early risers. And I don't want to be a chair hog and try to hold spots for them. Have to think about this one.

Can't wait for your next installment of your trip. Thank you

Very very nice! Great idea if your themed nights:) can't wait to hear the rest. Was your 10:45 showing just as crowded ?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

10:45 was less crowded

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Were your pictures taken with your smart phone or a camera? They are really very good and clear!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Some were taken with my iPhone 5s others with a Panasonic Lumix. I think my phone takes perfect pictures while my DH loves the camera lol!

I was finally able to switch my reservation for 150 to 1st half of the week so we will get to try that chocolate bourbon tart. I hope I am right on the menu - that is what is showing when I pull up my reservation and then look at the restaurants.

I don't know what our plan will be for the pool. There are 5 of us. I know my adult kids will not be early risers. And I don't want to be a chair hog and try to hold spots for them. Have to think about this one.

Can't wait for your next installment of your trip. Thank you

Are you sailing western or eastern because the menu with the bourbon tart was the second half of the week for us?

Are you sailing western or eastern because the menu with the bourbon tart was the second half of the week for us?

Hi - We are sailing Eastern. When I log into pre cruise planner and bring up the menu it has that menu showing first. I guess if its wrong then I will try to switch when I get on board. I did email the dining and asked if they could send me the menu but they haven't responded yet.

Thanks

Thanks everywhere for the great feedback! I will be continuing later tonight. Remember please if you are following along just let me know : )

I'm definitely following along. This review was actually recommended in my Roll Call this week. Thank you! August will be my first time with Royal Caribbean and I'm excited.