Confession...

.........The other cruise left from New Orleans and was the one and only time I had a bad cruise- Not sure how much of that I can blame on the port however..... I want my DH and I to try a different port but I don't know what the best one would be... I know we'll like almost ANY itinerary, so I'm wondering if the way to go would be to try one from Florida, give NOLA another try, or go somewhere even further away... Any advice??? What ports do you prefer?

Galveston is our first choice, then New Orleans. Even though New Orleans I almost an hour closer.

I am wondering why your one and only cruise from New Orleans wasn't enjoyable. You said you can't blame the port so was it the itinerary, the ship's staff? Maybe we can offer more suggestions to make your next (hopefully) cruise from NOLA more enjoyable.

We have sailed out of Port Canaveral, Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Tampa, Manhattan, and New Orleans. I can't say we've had a bad experience at any of them. Having said that, the most interesting ports for us to sail out of were Tampa with the bridge, Manhattan with the Statue of Liberty, and New Orleans with the Mississippi River.

I live in CA so most of my cruises have been out of Long Beach or San Diego to the Mexican Riviera. I decided I wanted a change and my past 3 cruises have been out of FLL. Love FLL! Going back again in February!

Debbie:D

Question for you, since you live in Texas, Conquest used to sail from there and is taking the place of Freedom in Pt Everglades. If you have ever sailed on her, what can you tell me about that ship. thanks.

I have not sailed on Conquest, but my parents did and they were absolutely thrilled with it. I wish I'd gotten an opportunity to try it! Maybe Pt. Everglades would be a good one to try next ;)

Lindsey. We've cruised 15 times on carnival and we think the best port is ft lauderdale. We stay at the Embassy suites on 17th street. Its about a 15 min cab ride from the airport. It has a mall about a block away. In the morning they have a shuttle to the ship for a small fee. hope this helps. carnival 10

We have sailed out of Miami twice, NOLA once, Port Canaveral twice, Fort Lauderdale once and San Juan once. For ease of travel, Port Canaveral was the easiest. Driving through Fort Lauderdale was a nightmare. San Juan airport was also a nightmare.

For us, Port Canaveral was the best port to leave from.

I have sailed from just about every port Carnival sails from with Mobile being the absolute worst ever. Glad that port is history. Galveston has parking issues out the wazoo... New Orleans is the easiest port there is. If you had issues there you wont be happy with any port... I have sailed out of there a total of 8 tiems never once having an issue. without fail we have always been on board with a DOD in hand by 11:15am.

My favorite port to sail out of is Manhattan, there is nothing like sailing down the Hudson with the view of the Manhattan skyline on a summer afternoon!

NYC sail away is awesome! How can you beat the NYC skyline on one side and the Statue of Liberty on the other?

Ah, how I miss that little Port of Galveston, I wish I had sailed out of there more often when I lived in Houston. Galveston Bay were my home waters and I used to be on the water almost every weekend sailing or fishing. Now to your question; as mentioned earlier Ft. Lauderdale is a great gateway for ease and access to the Caribbean as is Jacksonville.

Miami gives you more options with itineraries but is also congested, if doing Carnival and not top tier do FTTF. An Alaska cruise is on the ol’ bucket list as is a cruise on the Mediterranean. Don’t give up on NOLA too soon the city itself can be a destination.

Fair winds and following seas!

I like Galveston because it gives us access to the Caribbean with only a 4.5 hour non-stop flight. Miami is another couple hours, but much more difficult to get a direct flight. Most likely it will have a connection and an 8.5 or so hour duration, which makes it about 12-13 hours from the moment I walk out the door to when I get to the port (ignoring the fact that I would always have to stay over night unless I'm taking the red-eye, which isn't my idea of fun for a vacation).

We have flown to LA in about 2 hours, but the cruise options are extremely limited on the west coast.

All that said, I would never choose a cruise based on the port of departure, other than as it relates to ease of access. I would care about the itinerary. I am a huge fan of variety and adventure, which is why we are flying to Miami at the end of June. It is a massively expensive vacation (to fly and sail) but definitely worth it, in moderation.

Edited by T. Advisor King