Travel documentation

Hello fellow cruisers!! We are heading to the Caribbean on FOS in August. For the first time, we are taking our 13 yr old daughter. It has and plans to be a complete surprise. What make me nervous is the travel documents for her. Hubby and I have a passport and it says for minors that we can just present her gov't issued birth certificate. I am taking this as the one with the seal- not the pretty one from the hospital. Has anyone ever had issues? Should I just break down and spend the money for the passport? Of course the last thing I want to happen is to be turned away....thanks!!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I believe state's official birth cert with the raised seal will be sufficient, along with a photo ID (I think photo ID would be need for a 13 y.o.). But you do have time to get a passport for her so why not?

Edit: I stand corrected on the photo ID below - not required for a minor under 16.

Edited by joepeka

Hello fellow cruisers!! We are heading to the Caribbean on FOS in August. For the first time, we are taking our 13 yr old daughter. It has and plans to be a complete surprise. What make me nervous is the travel documents for her. Hubby and I have a passport and it says for minors that we can just present her gov't issued birth certificate. I am taking this as the one with the seal- not the pretty one from the hospital. Has anyone ever had issues? Should I just break down and spend the money for the passport? Of course the last thing I want to happen is to be turned away....thanks!!!

The state's official birth cert with the raised seal will be sufficient, along with a photo ID (I think photo ID would be need for a 13 y.o.). But you do have time to get a passport for her.

The State issued BC will be fine, photo ID is not required for under 16 year olds.

I believe state's official birth cert with the raised seal will be sufficient, along with a photo ID (I think photo ID would be need for a 13 y.o.). But you do have time to get a passport for her so why not?

Edit: I stand corrected on the photo ID below - not required for a minor under 16.

raised seals are not required on a birth certificate

The passport is important if you need to fly back from caribbean for any reason. I would definitely spend the $$ for the passport, just for peace of mind! Good Luck!

raised seals are not required on a birth certificate

While true, to explain a bit further...

Every state has their own version of a seal. My CA BC, for instance, has a circular raised seal. DH and DS have WA state BCs, and their seals are flat, rectangular, and with swirly colors. Both types of seals are totally and completely correct for the states they are from!

A raised seal WOULD be required on my birth cert, as that's what CA does. A raised seal on DH's birth cert would be a sign that it's forged, because that's not what WA does.