Premium Beverage Upgrade - Tax in Port?

panmalv

Thanks to 1-2-3 Go, we have the Classic package for our upcoming cruise on the Summit from Port Liberty NJ to Bermuda. We're definitely going to upgrade to Premium, and planned to do so as soon as we board so that we can make use of our on board credit.

I know that the upgrade price is $11.50 per person per day. My question is, do they charge sales tax, especially in Port Liberty NJ? Or should we wait until the ship sets sail in order to avoid the tax?

If anyone has first-hand experience I'd be most grateful -- thanks!

While I can't answer specifically with regard to being taxed while in port in New Jersey, we were on a Pacific Coast cruise a few weeks ago and noticed local taxes added twice when we ordered drinks while docked in ports in California.

Another question would be if a package upgrade would be subject to taxation as opposed to ordering a specific, a la carte drink.

Edited by BEAV

We did the upgrade last Nov on the Reflection, it cost $11.50 a day, and all drink charges weather bought before we sail from Miami or otherwise showed as a ZERO on our sea pass account. If there was any additional tax Celebrity paid it not us.

There was no additional amount charged to us over the $11.50

Edited by wallie5446

When I go online to upgrade my classic package I'm told I must cancel and then order premium package. When I remove the classic package I get there is no refund since I didn't pay for it. I cancel the request. but when I try to just add the premium package there is a charge for the full amount not the difference between the two packages. Afraid to go further as I only want to pay the difference.

Any information is appreciated.:confused:

When I go online to upgrade my classic package I'm told I must cancel and then order premium package. When I remove the classic package I get there is no refund since I didn't pay for it. I cancel the request. but when I try to just add the premium package there is a charge for the full amount not the difference between the two packages. Afraid to go further as I only want to pay the difference.

That's one that might work better with a phone call. We've always seemed to do it in a call and it worked fine. I do think it has to be more than 4 days (and may be more than that) before your sail date to do it through Celebrity and not on the ship. I usually call the Captain's Club number, if that's any help.

Beth

You might want to just call. I'm not sure the website can recognize that you already have the classic package and you just want to upgrade. That's what I had to do.

have been corresponding with celebrity via e-mail (for that read snail mail, I think that a letter would have been quicker ;) ) and facebook messages, looking to 'upgrade' or switch to a premium non alcoholic package, which I thought i could do

fellow CC's have had mixed luck before but when there is a response, it is just no you can't do that, which frustrates me as the package is cheaper than the classic alcoholic. I wonder if I rang, they would do it? probably not but might be worth a call if I can find a direct dial UK number for captains club, rather than UK Premium 0844 number

You might want to just call. I'm not sure the website can recognize that you already have the classic package and you just want to upgrade. That's what I had to do.

Finally called. About a 4 minute wait for representative but could easily upgrade to Premium Package. Had to pay now but expected that. $11.50 per day to upgrade.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Thanks to 1-2-3 Go, we have the Classic package for our upcoming cruise on the Summit from Port Liberty NJ to Bermuda. We're definitely going to upgrade to Premium, and planned to do so as soon as we board so that we can make use of our on board credit.

I know that the upgrade price is $11.50 per person per day. My question is, do they charge sales tax, especially in Port Liberty NJ? Or should we wait until the ship sets sail in order to avoid the tax?

If anyone has first-hand experience I'd be most grateful -- thanks!

So back to the original question.

Can someone who has upgraded while still in a US port been charged tax on the $11.50/pp/per day ?

So far we have one person who did not pay the tax in Miami. It seems likely that they wait to process the charges until at sea, or maybe the drink package is not subject to tax unlike regular drink purchases. Anyone else with first hand experience? I'll report back on my experience in a few weeks...

Sent from my VS870 4G using Forums mobile app