FLL: Marriott or Amerisuites

jealdaka

I tried to post this earlier and it just disappeared so if it shows up again, sorry!

I'm trying to decide between Marriott and Amerisuites when we are in FLL for 4 nights for a conference. Of course, the Marriott is probably nicer and closer to the convention center but also higher and no free breakfast. Just can't decide if it's worth the extra $50 a night. These are my thoughts so far:

Amerisuites: Less expensive, free breakfast

Marriott: Nicer? and closer.

The question is if it's really that much nicer and how far is the walk from Amerisuites to the conv. center? Are there things to do and places to eat very near the Amerisuites. I know there is an Outback but is it far to other things. I don't think we will rent a car this time.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!!:confused:

Which Marriott? I'm assuming you mean the Marina Marriott since you mentioned convention center and it's directly across the street.

Yes, the Marina Marriott is a bit nicer than AmeriSuites. Reviews are quite mixed on AmeriSuites, some people like it, many think the rooms are old and tired. IMO it's fine for a night, but for 4 nights I'd much rather stay elsewhere.

Personally if I were spending 4 nights at a conference I'd choose the Renaissance, also right across the street from the convention center... http://marriott.com/property/propertypage/FLLBR

Or even the Holiday Inn Express if I were looking for a budget hotel, only a block and a half from the convention center... http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/ex/1/en/hd/fllcc

Marina Marriott is just across the street from the convention center. AmeriSuites is about a 6-8 block walk to the convention center. It's certainly doable for most people, but it would be a rather uncomfortable walk in the heat now.

There are many many restaurants along SE 17th Street, close to and easy to walk to from ALL of the hotels mentioned. Marina Marriott has the added advantage of having a Water Taxi stop so you can easily go elsewhere in Fort Lauderdale to many other restaurants... http://www.watertaxi.com/FortLauderdale/FLLHome.Asp

Just adding to the good information Trent gave you....the Holiday Inn Express also has free continental breakfast and free internet like Amerisuites but it is a newer, nicer property (probably would cost more per night than the Amerisuites though).

Thanks to both of you for the information. The only reason I had narrowed down to these two was that they have a "special rate" for us and all of the others seem to be a lot higher.

If Amerisuites is a long walk, then I guess we'll do the Mariott Marina and just pay a bit more. It's been hard to find out exactly how long the walk is. My husband likes a short walk but not a long hike!

Hi:) Trent's info is excellent (as usual;) ).

I have stayed at both and would stay at either place again.

You can walk to other places from Amerisuites......it is not that out of the way.

I have walked plenty when staying there.

Just think of it this way....Marriott has a conceirge desk.....and bellman, and

of course you are paying for those services.

Amerisuites you are on your own (if that matters to you) I am fine getting my

own luggage and my own cab.

Again, I have stayed at Amersuites twice and Marriott once. Would do either

anytime.

Archived