Legend returns off season 18 day repositioning to Honolulu

jimbo5544

Carnival confirmed that the Legend will return from Australia with a 18-day repositioning voyage leaves Sydney on April 20, 2015, calling at ports in Fiji and Tahiti before arriving in Honolulu. Where will she go from there?

There will be an 18-day repositioning voyage from Honolulu to Sydney on September 26, 2015, when Carnival Legend returns to Australia for a second 2015/16 season.

Good stuff!:)

Is this posted on Carnival's website yet? Wonder what the itinerary and pricing will be? The 18 day Honolulu to Australia sounds good to me.

Carnival can't do cruises around the island without touching a foreign port. I forget what the law is called but only a ship registered in the US and following US labor laws and paying higher taxes can do that. Ncl is the only line with a ship registered in the US

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Passenger Vessel Service Act (PVSA)

As much as it would make sense for Miracle to come to Tampa after her dry dock and Legend to take her place for Alaska, Legend is not equipped with the appropriate cold/ice water requirements needed to sail Alaskan waters so Legend will be coming back to Tampa for the season.

As much as it would make sense for Miracle to come to Tampa after her dry dock and Legend to take her place for Alaska, Legend is not equipped with the appropriate cold/ice water requirements needed to sail Alaskan waters so Legend will be coming back to Tampa for the season.

What are the cold/ice water requirements? I have no idea as I thought Legend and Miracle were exactly the same. Thanks in advance.

What are the cold/ice water requirements? I have no idea as I thought Legend and Miracle were exactly the same. Thanks in advance.

Yes, both are Spirit Class ships, however as I understand it both Miracle and Spirit are equipped for cold weather/water sailings where Legend is not. I was equally surprised by this believing that Legend and Miracle would simply switch coastal ports however an Engineer aboard the Paradise explained the differences to me last month.

Edited by Captain Carnival

Yes, both are Spirit Class ships, however as I understand it both Miracle and Spirit are equipped for cold weather/water sailings where Legend is not. I was equally surprised by this believing that Legend and Miracle would simply switch coastal ports however an Engineer aboard the Paradise explained the differences to me last month.

What does this even mean?

What does this even mean?

It simply means that both Miracle and Spirit have special equipment to handle the cold icy waters of Alaska where Legend does not. Exactly what differences I cannot answer however the Paradise engineer did provide a lengthy explanation that did make abundant sense.

Savvy? :confused:

It simply means that both Miracle and Spirit have special equipment to handle the cold icy waters of Alaska where Legend does not. Exactly what differences I cannot answer however the Paradise engineer did provide a lengthy explanation that did make abundant sense.

That is actually pretty interesting. Thanks for the input.

Well, having operated ships in both Alaska and the Gulf of Mexico/Caribbean, including sister ships in both locations, I'm not sure what this means. With the exception of some small expedition cruise ships, none that I know of are "ice classed", and most ships operating in Alaska are not ice classed either. Since the Alaska cruising season is the summer months, there isn't a great threat from pack ice, and when the fjords are heavy with bergs, they won't go in. The water has little effect on the ship's systems, and colder sea water is actually more beneficial to ship's operation than warmer water.

The only differences for cruise ships in Alaska than virtually anywhere else, are the emissions limits and the overboard discharge limits. These have nothing to do with the water temperature.

Because the ships are always within the US ECA, they must burn low sulfur fuel, or have an exhaust scrubber system installed. While Princess does have one ship with scrubbers installed, to my knowledge, none of the Carnival ships have them yet, so not seeing any difference between ships, unless some of the ships only have EPA Tier I rated engines, and some have Tier II, as Tier II is required in Alaska AFAIK.

Nearly every cruise ship these days has an Advanced Waste Water Treatment plant, which essentially processes all waste water to near pure water quality. I would be surprised if some Carnival ships had these, and others not, but it could be. Now, some ships apply to Alaska for permission to discharge treated waste water overboard when within 12 miles of shore (or at the dock), rather than holding it until outside 12 miles. So, maybe some of the ships have had their tankage modified to allow holding treated waste water, or some have the permit, or some don't have the permit and don't have the holding capacity required for a voyage in Alaska.

Interesting. I don't know whether California could support another full time ship in Long Beach, It was a pricey experiment with the Splendor (having to sail her around South America twice (I know the Legend fits through the canal).

Would love to see them expand itineraries (both coasts).

Before Splendor, there was Pride, which did year round 7 day cruises from Long Beach. It wasn't really an experiment. They brought Splendor in to replace Pride with a larger ship, to compete with RCI's Mariner of the Seas, which started doing year round from LA.

Edited by Fitzget

We are leaving this Sunday from Tampa on the Legend. Guess this is where she landed.

We are all discussing where Legend will be in April 2015 when she returns from Australia! :)

Have fun on your cruise!

Jenn

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Before Splendor, there was Pride, which did year round 7 day cruises from Long Beach. It wasn't really an experiment. They brought Splendor in to replace Pride with a larger ship, to compete with RCI's Mariner of the Seas, which started doing year round from LA.

We actually sailed both the Pride and the Splendor from Long Beach. While it might not have been an experiment, it was a pretty big commitment on Carnival's part to put the New Splendor in Long Beach strictly because she had to sail around South America to get there (and back). Until the widened canal is finished, I doubt you will see them put anything larger than a Spirit class ship on the west coast.

I happen to think that Carnival could expand their sailings from the west coast both northbound and southbound. We will see.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

The naive may believe that. I certainly don't. Still makes no sense.

I do hope the Legend returns to Tampa - it would be a waste of the new Waterworks and Green Thunder slide to send her to Alaska on off-season. Unless they plan to make the same upgrades to the Miracle? I know the Pride is scheduled to get the upgrades this fall, but she'll be going back to Baltimore and not staying in Tampa.

We actually sailed both the Pride and the Splendor from Long Beach. While it might not have been an experiment, it was a pretty big commitment on Carnival's part to put the New Splendor in Long Beach strictly because she had to sail around South America to get there (and back). Until the widened canal is finished, I doubt you will see them put anything larger than a Spirit class ship on the west coast.

I happen to think that Carnival could expand their sailings from the west coast both northbound and southbound. We will see.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I would love to see Carnival expand their west coast sailing! We live in Vegas so Long Beach is driving distance and would be able to cruise more often if we didn't have airfare for 3 to buy. Right now, I'm not interested in going back to Ensenada, last time we only got off the ship for lunch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I seriously doubt the Legend will return to Tampa. Just does not make sense to me to have THAT LONG of a repo every "off-season". I think if Tampa gets another ship it will be Miracle while Legend stays out west, but I am not even really sure how likely that is either.

I seriously doubt the Legend will return to Tampa. Just does not make sense to me to have THAT LONG of a repo every "off-season". I think if Tampa gets another ship it will be Miracle while Legend stays out west, but I am not even really sure how likely that is either.

That's what I thought and hoped for; I guess only time will tell.

I would love to see Carnival expand their west coast sailing!

I wouldn't mind seeing them return to San Diego. The terminal was a breeze and I love the area.

I spoke to a CCL agent today and he said that the Legend won't be back to Tampa but asked if I wanted to book the Miracle out of Tampa for next summer. I wasn't even calling for a Tampa cruise, he assumed and volunteered the information. Look for Miracle/Tampa itineraries soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I spoke to a CCL agent today and he said that the Legend won't be back to Tampa but asked if I wanted to book the Miracle out of Tampa for next summer. I wasn't even calling for a Tampa cruise, he assumed and volunteered the information. Look for Miracle/Tampa itineraries soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Interesting news for sure; now I'm really confused! :confused: I'm sailing on Miracle in 4-months and will DEFINATELY be asking questions! :D

Was that about the Miracle (repositioning) or Ken Byrne returning to Miracle on May 27th?

Oh sorry, I should have included more details!

I meant the Miracle repositioning and what ship would be sailing in Alaska next year and I believe the rest of the 2015 itins would be out by the 26th (supposedly, haha!).

Though I think I saw something about Ken Byrne as well, though don't remember the details.

Sent from my iPad using Forums