Using Tervis (or own mug) on board?

Sarah@Sea

I plan on having my own soda in the room so most likely I'll fill up with ice and Diet Dew and carry my Tervis with me for breakfast or lunch or poolside. But if I wanted to buy a can of coke instead of going back to cabin will the bar just fill my Tervis with ice and coke for me? Also, if filling with ice from the beverage stations, use their cups to fill with ice then pour into Tervis? Same for if I want tea of lemonade?

I pack a 16 oz. insulated "mug" with a little sliding door on the screw-on lid. I use it for coffee, pop, plus other various concoctions. It's been with me for quite a few trips, and has proved a worthy companion for years!;)

I plan on having my own soda in the room so most likely I'll fill up with ice and Diet Dew and carry my Tervis with me for breakfast or lunch or poolside. But if I wanted to buy a can of coke instead of going back to cabin will the bar just fill my Tervis with ice and coke for me? Also, if filling with ice from the beverage stations, use their cups to fill with ice then pour into Tervis? Same for if I want tea of lemonade?

Yes.. the bars will fill up your Tervis with ice if you buy a soda.. I bring my own Tervis from home too.. and I do this all the time. When you buy your soda you will get a can of pop instead of fountain pop. $1.95 ea if I remember right.. unless prices have gone up. The bar staff are wonderful !

We are long-time Tervis users. However, we recently discovered a new product from the maker of the Bubba Mug at our local Walmart.

bub-20140508-212552.jpg

This is their answer to the Tervis tumbler. This one is 24oz. Its lid has a much better seal than Tervis. It is double-walled construction like Tervis. It comes with the lid and the straw for under $10! And it carries a lifetime warranty.

It is also available in other sizes.

Brian

When refilling your tumbler, always use a clean glass to get ice from the dispenser, or to get soda from a dispensing machine, and pour into your tumbler. This keeps any possible contamination from your (or anyone's) tumbler lip from touching the dispensing lever and possibly contaminating other glasses. This is a USPH regulation. The bar servers, if they use the bar guns, will make sure not to touch the gun to your tumbler.

I take our Platinum gift Tervis tumblers to get coffee. In the dining room they just pour directly into my tumbler and then I don't have to ask for refills. If I'm on the lido it fits underneath the spout without touching it so I serve myself.

If I was going to get ice for any reason, I would put it in their cup and transfer to my tumbler even though I always use the lid so my lips are never on the rim.

I take our Platinum gift Tervis tumblers to get coffee. In the dining room they just pour directly into my tumbler and then I don't have to ask for refills. If I'm on the lido it fits underneath the spout without touching it so I serve myself.

If I was going to get ice for any reason, I would put it in their cup and transfer to my tumbler even though I always use the lid so my lips are never on the rim.

And while that is probably the case for most using the tumblers, there is no guarantee that everyone does this, which is why the USPH requires a clean glass every time.

First time cruising with Carnival. If you purchase the soda card, do they give you a cup for refills? On RC, when you purchase the soda card, you are given a big insulated tumbler for refills. I understand on Carnival, you are given cans and just curious if we need to bring our own cups?

Thank you!

We are long-time Tervis users. However, we recently discovered a new product from the maker of the Bubba Mug at our local Walmart.

bub-20140508-212552.jpg

This is their answer to the Tervis tumbler. This one is 24oz. Its lid has a much better seal than Tervis. It is double-walled construction like Tervis. It comes with the lid and the straw for under $10! And it carries a lifetime warranty.

Brian

Funny, I'm drinking from one of those right now and will be taking it on my cruise. Very we'll-made.

bub-20140508-212552.jpg

Brian

Thanks for this info, Brian. I love my Carnival Tervis for coffee, but I find that for cold drinks it's just too small. Bubba Mugs are too big and bulky. This Bubba product looks just right. Off to Walmart.

bub-20140508-212552.jpg

Brian

Thanks for the tip! Their website indicates my local Kroger might carry them also.

Edited by Sarah@Sea

First time cruising with Carnival. If you purchase the soda card, do they give you a cup for refills? On RC, when you purchase the soda card, you are given a big insulated tumbler for refills. I understand on Carnival, you are given cans and just curious if we need to bring our own cups?

Thank you!

No, it's not given as part of the BB package but they have some for purchase I bought one, I forget the price...it like the RCCL was too small for me...lol...I like a lot of ice. =D And I didn't find RCCL that insulated either.

20130217_204853_zpsafa573ef.jpg

I love my cups when I go on cruises, and also use the cups provided to put in ice. Since I will be driving to the Baltimore cruise I just now booked, I can easily carry a small travel size bottle that it will fill with dish washing liquid. I also will have sodas with me, but, like you said, if you don't want to go back to the cabin, buying one should not be a problem at the bars for them to fill it with ice.

I usually bring 2 Tervis cups with me--I love the morning fruit juices , so I will fill the Tervis and it will stay cold while I'm on the Serenity deck.I always use a clean glass to get my ice and transfer it to my cup- not a problem.

It's amazing, that there is a sign at the coffee area saying to use a clean cup and do not use your own to fill your coffee, but people must say I don't have germs so that rule does not apply to me. Come on, it's a simple request to help with the health of fellow cruisers. Follow this simple instruction

It's amazing, that there is a sign at the coffee area saying to use a clean cup and do not use your own to fill your coffee, but people must say I don't have germs so that rule does not apply to me. Come on, it's a simple request to help with the health of fellow cruisers. Follow this simple instruction

The sign is at the drinks station in general. I don't see anyone saying they disregard the sign. She says that despite her lips not touching her own tumbler she still DOES use the Carnival cups to get and transfer ice.

On RCCL they have a sign on the water dispenser saying not to fill own bottles but the computerized Coke machines everyone fills their own mugs that they's touched etc?

Edited by Sarah@Sea

I bring my own Tervis Tumblers too.. one large and one regular size.

Two weeks ago, I used the small plastic cup to fill the water, and then filled my tervis. Another cruiser, behind me.. said.. "Wow, you are the first person to actually do this.. THANK YOU!!". Made me feel good that I was actually following the rules!!

The large is a perfect size for Water, an Arizona Ice Sugar Free Tea stick and Ice!!

Catrin

When refilling your tumbler, always use a clean glass to get ice from the dispenser, or to get soda from a dispensing machine, and pour into your tumbler. This keeps any possible contamination from your (or anyone's) tumbler lip from touching the dispensing lever and possibly contaminating other glasses. This is a USPH regulation.

I wish they would make it easier to find a place to set the used glass when you are done. It can be a real pain to try and be good and conscientious when there is no close place to put your used coffee so juice cup after filling your own. This on Miracle.

I wish they would make it easier to find a place to set the used glass when you are done. It can be a real pain to try and be good and conscientious when there is no close place to put your used coffee so juice cup after filling your own. This on Miracle.

Wondered about that too...

It is not only your cup touching the spout that is the problem. If it is a dispenser with a dispensing bar that your cup presses against, this can transfer contamination from your cup to the dispensing bar, and then every clean glass that is used is now contaminated. I know lines are tending to move towards the "touchless" dispensers for this reason, but it is still a USPH regulation to not reuse ANY beverage container at a self-service dispenser.

Found the Bubba Tumbler at Kroger today for $7.99, and a Bubba water bottle spout for $4.99. :D

Nice find!

Our local Walmart had the tumbler marked at five dollars if you picked one certain color. All the others were 10 bucks. Strange!

Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app