Drawers and Closets in Penthouse on VOlendam

tgetz

For those of you who have booked the PS on HAL, I normally do the SA cabins but last year I did book a PS on the Nieuw Amsterdam for a transatlantic. I was underwhelmed with the drawer and closet space in that cabin. This year I have reserved the PS on the Volendam because we will be sailing the 58 day from Vancouver down to Australia and then doing the circumvent. I can't find any pictures of the closet in the PS or the amount of drawers. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated. I have always been pleased with the drawers and closets on the Volendam size ships in the Neptune Suites as they are now called, but not sure if there is more drawers or hanging area in the PS. I think I was in the Volendam PS once for a party , but I didn't go peek in their bedroom.. thanks in advance fo all the help I get from the cc boards .

For those of you who have booked the PS on HAL, I normally do the SA cabins but last year I did book a PS on the Nieuw Amsterdam for a transatlantic. I was underwhelmed with the drawer and closet space in that cabin. This year I have reserved the PS on the Volendam because we will be sailing the 58 day from Vancouver down to Australia and then doing the circumvent. I can't find any pictures of the closet in the PS or the amount of drawers. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated. I have always been pleased with the drawers and closets on the Volendam size ships in the Neptune Suites as they are now called, but not sure if there is more drawers or hanging area in the PS. I think I was in the Volendam PS once for a party , but I didn't go peek in their bedroom.. thanks in advance fo all the help I get from the cc boards .

• 1 month later...

thanks... I wonder what others have done for more drawer space? I have soe of those zip lock huge things that look like trunks I have used before in an S suite and it sat on the little area beside the couch and across from the refrigerator/ bar area, but not sure where in the penthouse I can set one or two of those?? any thoughts

Does anyone have any suggestions of what they did regarding the lack of drawers?

Also, I don't think there is a clothes line in the penthouse over the tub is there? This trip will be the 58 day from Vancouver to and then around Australia. The penthouse is a surprise for my husband and he keeps talking about hanging his shirts to dry like you can do in the Neptune Suites, and I keep thinking not sure how? I did find some magnetic hooks but not sure if the area around the tub is magnetic and even if it is, would a clothes line hold up on the wall?.... I know he will love the extra space and the extra bath and the refrigerator, so I know in the long run he will be happy, but unpacking will not make him happy . :-) This year we both turn 70, so this is my 70th birthday present to him from some separate money I have. WE will also sail another 12 days around New Zealand in a penthouse on Celebrity so we will sail 70 days for our 70th. Thought that was appropriate, but beginning to wonder where we will put the clothes..

No clothes line in the PS. I bought many years ago a portable clothes line that already has 8 clothes pins attached to it. I have never seen anything like it.

I take the drawers. One closet has 3 shelves that DH used. Many years ago I got sweater bags that we keep a lot of items in and just keep everything in them and stack them on the shelves. There is a lot of wasted space above the safe.

When we were on the Westerdam a couple of years ago, they took one closet and added more drawers. I don't know if they have done that on the Volendam. It has been awhile since we were on her.

OP - I assume you do not use the free laundry / dry cleaning that comes with your PH suite but instead do your own laundry? I've had not stayed in a PH, but can't visualize a lack of space for clothing. I hope someone will come up with good photos of the Volendam PH closets/drawers for you.

Here is a link to a really easy way to make a lightweight 1 1/2 yard long travel clothes line.

Years ago, I bought a couple of elasticated lines, very similar to that line, items are hung between the loops of the line as shown in the video.

Thanks for all the suggestions..

Linda and Vern I do send a few things to the laundry but I have had so many items ruined by the free laundry, I prefer to wash anything I care about. My husband has had much better luck with the service, but he never sends suits or dress shirts.

erewon, and sail7seas I like the clothes line and had not thought of using Velcro to hang it up with, thanks for that great hint.

KrazyKruisers, I, too, use those sweater bags for a lot of packing and if there is space to stack, I can maybe put that Ziploc 'locker' think there and maybe stack one above.

I love cruisecritic... always get such great information. Thanks to all of you. I will try to take pictures of the closet and the storage and then try to have someone post them where they can be seen. that I could never figure out how to do,, but I bet my grandkids can. ;-)

It has been awhile since we were on the Volendam and even then we were not in the PS so we can dream they have added some. They sure didn't on the Neiuw Amsterdam. I was so disappointed in that PS storage, I was just flabbergasted. Of course that has not stopped me from cruising..... :-)

We are currently in the Pinnnacle Suite onboard the Amsterdam. In the walk in closet area you will find 5 drawers, 15 shelves and two hanging closets. Under the bed there are two large drawers and in the living room above the pull out bed are additional areas to store if needed.

After the Nieuw Amsterdam ruined 2 brand new golf shirts last November, I rarely send anything out to the laundry.

If you do get pictures of the PS on Volendam, you first have to join a "hosting" site like Photobucket. Then you can transfer the pictures over to:

http://halfacts.com

I hope I'm not misunderstanding you but you can send pictures directly to halfacts. You don't have to have a hosting site. Just email them.