RCCL Visa Hacked!

The reason it seems to happen quite often is, believe it or not, because Bank of America has a fairly good Red Flag System in place. They will replace even potentially compromised cards often and question spending that is out of the norm for the cardholder.

Your points will stay in place. As noted, it is easy to change credit cards or new numbers and expiration dates at checking.

M

I believe it! The two times our cards were fraudulently used, they caught it after one purchase - I am not sure if one fraud purchase was allowed through or if they caught at the first one - we were never liable for anything as long as WE didn't lose the card.

I suppose it was fairly obvious as both fraudulent uses were overseas - one in Australia one time and in Ireland the next time it happened.

Had same thing happen to me, said my CC may have been compromised. They cancelled it and sent me a new one. Points stayed on without having to ask them.

Have to give BOA credit for catching the possible compromise, I'm sure it less expensive for them to issue a new piece of plastic than paying off fraudulent purchases.

Had same thing happen to me, said my CC may have been compromised. They cancelled it and sent me a new one. Points stayed on without having to ask them.

Have to give BOA credit for catching the possible compromise, I'm sure it less expensive for them to issue a new piece of plastic than paying off fraudulent purchases.

I wonder in this case if the merchants that were hacked are paying all or part of the cost of replacing cards? It was somewhere between 70-110 MILLION people affected.

As others have said call the bank and they will send a new card the next day. Our card number was stolen and our card was cancelled by the bank while we were in the middle of a vacation in Hawaii last summer. They sent a card there the next day! It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Just opened our email to find a message from Bank of America stating "some" of their credit cards had been compromised and they were inactivating our card and number as of May 27th. They say they are sending out new cards in the next 10-15 days. Well, we booked the cruise that we are taking that sails on May 23rd-May 30th and planned to use this card while onboard the ship. This will leave us having to pay cash for our onboard expenses instead of putting it on our card!

If by chance we do get our new cards before we sail, how do I change the card with Royal Caribbean so the new card is used and the old soon to be inactivated one is not used? I vaguely remember that somewhere on the online check in you are asked which credit card you will be using for your SeaPass account. Since time will be running short can I still change it?

Thanks for any help!

Sorry, something smells fishy....why would they notify you that IN THREE WEEKS, your credit card will be deactivated because of a compromise in their system. NO, don't believe it....and would call, not reply to the email, BofA.

Handling a change in credit card for use on the ship, is easy -- as everyone else has said, when you board the ship. We never let them know in advance of arriving at port what credit card we will be using. No reason to.

Paulette, I was going to say the same thing. At least three times I've had suspicious activity on my Capital One card and the fraud department CALLED me. Compromised, "possibly compromised" I don't see what difference that makes that they'd let it be used for another couple of weeks.

I HAVE had suspicious emails saying my card had been compromised and I was supposed to respond in an email. It looked 100% official but I called Capital One or Wells Fargo (can't remember) and they had NOT SENT ANY EMAIL!

It was a classic example of "phishing",where someone was trying to get more information so they could "borrow" my identity.

I never call or email in response to any of these kind of things. I will initiate the call based on the number on the back of my card. Even when I had the phone call from the fraud department, I didn't give out info. They had all the information they already needed, and just wanted to verify possibly fraudulent charges.

And yes they were fraudulent. My significant other would have been so irked if I'd actually signed up for a bunch of dating sites that were being charged to my account. :eek:

I have gotten the same emails 2 or 3 times. They were not "fishy". I was able to use my old card until a certain date or until the new card came in and I activated it. Last time it happened was last month. Kind of annoying because then I have to go and change my credit card info on all my bills that I pay with auto pay with that card. I do have to say thought that I wouldn't click on an email to verify anything about a credit card. If you're not sure call first. Never had a problem with my reward points not being there either.

Sorry, something smells fishy....why would they notify you that IN THREE WEEKS, your credit card will be deactivated because of a compromise in their system. NO, don't believe it....and would call, not reply to the email, BofA.

Following is a description of my experience over the past few days: On 05/07/14, I logged into my Visa on-line account expecting to create a shop-safe card for a major purchase ($4,460.00, major to me.) Could not create card. Called toll-free number on back of card. Was told that my card had been cancelled due to a business where we had made a recent purchase being hacked and our card was compromised. B of A rep stated that new cards had been mailed to us the day before (on 05/06/14.) He stated that we would be able to use our old cards until the final date of 05/27/2014 IF we used them at a business where they would be "swiped." He also stated that we would not be able to make any kind of on-line purchases and that we could not create Shop-Safe cards on line using the cancelled cards.

Today, we received our new cards in the regular U.S. mail. They were attached to 4 pages of info which also included a statement that the old cards "...will be deactivated on 05/27/2014."

One thing that I noticed immediately is that our cancelled cards have "PLATINUM PLUS" printed on the face of the cards along with a hologram of an eagle. Both, "PLATINUM PLUS"and the eagle hologram are missing from the new cards that we received. I could not help but wonder if B of A has switched us from their Platinum Plus card to another type of card. We recently received an invitation from B of A to switch from our P+ card to another (I think it was called a "Signature Card") and we did not choose to make the switch.

Has any other CC member had the same experience that we have had as described above? We "love" our Platinum Plus card and have enjoyed a few free (almost) cruises over the years and we are hoping that all our benefits will continue forward as we have known them in the past.

Following is a description of my experience over the past few days: On 05/07/14, I logged into my Visa on-line account expecting to create a shop-safe card for a major purchase ($4,460.00, major to me.) Could not create card. Called toll-free number on back of card. Was told that my card had been cancelled due to a business where we had made a recent purchase being hacked and our card was compromised. B of A rep stated that new cards had been mailed to us the day before (on 05/06/14.) He stated that we would be able to use our old cards until the final date of 05/27/2014 IF we used them at a business where they would be "swiped." He also stated that we would not be able to make any kind of on-line purchases and that we could not create Shop-Safe cards on line using the cancelled cards.

Today, we received our new cards in the regular U.S. mail. They were attached to 4 pages of info which also included a statement that the old cards "...will be deactivated on 05/27/2014."

One thing that I noticed immediately is that our cancelled cards have "PLATINUM PLUS" printed on the face of the cards along with a hologram of an eagle. Both, "PLATINUM PLUS"and the eagle hologram are missing from the new cards that we received. I could not help but wonder if B of A has switched us from their Platinum Plus card to another type of card. We recently received an invitation from B of A to switch from our P+ card to another (I think it was called a "Signature Card") and we did not choose to make the switch.

Has any other CC member had the same experience that we have had as described above? We "love" our Platinum Plus card and have enjoyed a few free (almost) cruises over the years and we are hoping that all our benefits will continue forward as we have known them in the past.

We also received an invitation from BofA about their Signature Card. I don't really like that it doesn't have a credit limit, and says you can be denied using it at some merchants.....neither of these things are to my personal liking.

Just opened our email to find a message from Bank of America stating "some" of their credit cards had been compromised and they were inactivating our card and number as of May 27th. They say they are sending out new cards in the next 10-15 days. Well, we booked the cruise that we are taking that sails on May 23rd-May 30th and planned to use this card while onboard the ship. This will leave us having to pay cash for our onboard expenses instead of putting it on our card!

If by chance we do get our new cards before we sail, how do I change the card with Royal Caribbean so the new card is used and the old soon to be inactivated one is not used? I vaguely remember that somewhere on the online check in you are asked which credit card you will be using for your SeaPass account. Since time will be running short can I still change it?

Thanks for any help!

I would go on line and just change my account to a "cash" account...that way once on board you can use ANY credit card you'd like AND you don't even need one till your bill gets to $500!

I received a new B & A Visa after the target thing and my email said I was getting new cards and the old one would be deactivated at such and such date. I got the new card and have used it several time. Two weeks ago I went to purchase a new computer and the purchase was declined. Now I pay my card balance every two weeks and it currently had a zero balance. I told the guy it was a mistake and he ran it again and it was declined. I then pulled out my Capital One card and it went through without any issues. I was very embarrassed about the situation for sure. I called the number on the back of the card multiple times when I got back to the car and the calls would not go through. When I got home, I had an email from B & A stating there appeared to be fraudulent activity on my card and it was suspended and to go to the website and let them know if I actually tried to make the purchase. I was not very happy about that, as I was purchasing the computer from a well known store. If this happens to me again, I will cancel the card for sure.

pat

Handling a change in credit card for use on the ship, is easy -- as everyone else has said, when you board the ship. We never let them know in advance of arriving at port what credit card we will be using. No reason to.

You do need to be careful when you get emails like this but it was really from BOA. I received my new cards in the today.

It is not fishy because of the Target and Neiman Marcus security breach in November/December....approximately 70 - 110 MILLION people were affected through Target alone. I don't know how many BoA customers, but you can't realistically expect that the credit card companies would cancel 110 MILLION credit cards all at once and issue new ones based on that security breach - if they have information that the number has been sold and used fraudulently THEN they will immediately stop all transactions. Otherwise they are acting prudently and gradually reissuing all cards that were used in those locations.

I got a new card maybe 2 months ago (or more). My husband has an additional card that was never used at Target :rolleyes: (guess who does the majority of the shopping) and he had no notification or changes.