Kids club age groups

Twolittleboys

We are considering a transatlantic cruise on the Oasis in September. Unfortunately, my older son will turn 12 about 10 days before that and on RCI the teen group starts at 12. I (and he) would much prefer he stays in the 9 to 11 group with his brother. Being with his brother isn't essential (they have always been in different groups on prior cruises) but he really enjoys the Adventure Ocean program. More important though, I don't think he will fit in with teens who are 16 or 17.

Does anyone have experience with similar circumstances? Do you think he will be allowed to "go down" to the younger group? It being a transatlantic in September I don't expect the kids club to be crowded...

He won't be with the 16 and 17 year olds! It's a 12-14 year old group!

The 12-14 and 15-17 yr old groups are sometimes combined so he could absolutely be with 16 and 17 yr olds, especially if it is on a TA where there will be fewer kids.

To the OP, ask about aging him down once you are on the ship. It has been allowed many times in the past.

He won't be with the 16 and 17 year olds! It's a 12-14 year old group!

I wouldn't really have a problem with an 12 - 14 year old group (though I think he would prefer the more structured Adventure Ocean program to the teen program) but as far as I know the 12 - 14 group was generally combined with the 15 - 17 year olds on our other cruises due to lower numbers of kids. And the transatlantic will probably also have a small number of kids.

Yes, I don't think there will be that many kids though of course the Oasis is a big ship... On the roll call there are a couple of older teens but I haven't noticed any other kids around my boys' ages. I do hope there will be some sort of kids program and hopefully my older son will be able to participate. As I said he will only turn 12 about 10 days before the cruise and he really isn't at all a "teenager" yet. I don't think he would care for dancing/prom night etc. Treasure hunts and dodge ball are more his speed.