Advice on diet

rdler

I'm empathetic to the OP's situation. My wife and struggle with how/what to eat on cruises more than any other time, except maybe a week at the beach. She's a Weight Watcher leader and lost 70 pounds 12 years ago and has kept it off. We're both vegetarians so we generally eat healthy and get lots of exercise. Even so, we usually gain at least 5 pounds on a cruise, and we walk 5 miles a day on the track and work out in the gym. We always walk the stairs too.

She comes back home and immediately loses the extra weight. I, on the other hand, have an extremely difficult time getting back on track. I have to think that a 12 year old might have considerable difficulty eating healthy and not overeating on the cruise. But of even greater concern is will he lose his momentum and the resolution he currently has?

I wish I had some additional advice for you, but I'm afraid I don't. You're already received advice from many which I think was good, especially about not eating in the Lido. I'm afraid if his eating is a topic of discussion at every meal it's going to be a downer for everyone. And honestly, I have not been able to control myself from mindless eating on any cruise. It's bound to be more difficult for a 12 year old. I think I might just have a talk with him before the cruise and hope for the best. If he overeats it's not the end of the world.

Good luck to you and your son.

Thank to so many of you who have offered many good ideas. I am very well aware that my son needs to buy into this diet and healthy food choices. He is doing so thus far, with some lapses, which are treated like that-- just lapses. And I don't criticize-- or try as hard as I can not to. And I've received a lot of help from his doctor and his shrinks who are well aware that my son had a tough life early on (he is adopted) where the struggle to eat and otherwise survive virtually every day was a struggle.

And those of you who suggest that I am probably part of the problem, you are entirely correct. I am quite a bit underweight for a man of my height and age and I've had a struggle eating since an operation that went wrong a decade or so ago. So there have been snacks around-- not bad stuff per se, but things like yogurt and those energy bars and stuff like that which can really pack on the calories. So I am having to adjust things so those products are simply not around and I'm trying to shift the bulk of my eating to the daytime when my son is generally in school.

But my son is doing well and has a fairly good attitude thusfar. I know it's very hard for him or anyone for that matter. I'm firmly convinced that my little man is the greatest kid ever and that he will be successful.

I too think your kid will be successful because he has a very caring, loving father who took the time to come onto these boards and ask for help in planning his vacation. I'm sure you're kid, like mine, is one of the greatest kids ever. LOL!:D

I hope you and your son have the best cruise ever and that all goes well for both him and you regarding your eating problems. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for both of you!:D

Self dicipline always works for me

Please, I mean no disrespect, but for a variety of reasons, many of us who struggle with our weight, dont have great discipline, all of the time. If we did, we would all be slim.

The important issue...is how to get to that point where we have that discipline, to control what we consume.

Many posters here have hit the nail right on by saying it is a "lifestyle change" that is needed. Once that is achieved and the results are so very rewarding, then the "discipline" is actually just a way of life.

I do wish the OP and his son great success and most of all a wonderful cruise.

Keeping active is the key ... walking everywhere, the stairs, swimming ...

I wasn't on any particular diet, and I made pretty good choices most of the time, but did indulge in moderation, and somehow managed to lose 5lbs on a 4 day cruise. Having a porthole cabin all the way forward helped considerably.

I have similar issues with my 17 yo son, although "porky" probably wouldn't be a word I would use ...lol. But he uses the pedometer on his phone, and an app to log his calories and track his progress. He has been incredibly successful. Does your son have a Fitbit or some other tool that puts him in control and help him reach his goals? I logged over 20,000 steps in one day just walking around, exploring the ship!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I am considering taking my fitbit with me next week on our cruise but my question is, what did you do to sync it? My fitbit flex doesn't tell me how many steps I walk. I have to sync it to my computer and then I can see what my progress was. I also sync mine with myfitnesspal.com but I'm not sure how I'd do it away from my home computer. When I come into my computer room, there is a little thingie in my computer that the fitbit syncs with.

I considered bringing my laptop computer for this reason but I found out I couldn't sync it if it wasn't on and I'm a little leary of leaving my laptop in my cabin when we're out and about.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

I am considering taking my fitbit with me next week on our cruise but my question is, what did you do to sync it? My fitbit flex doesn't tell me how many steps I walk. I have to sync it to my computer and then I can see what my progress was. I also sync mine with myfitnesspal.com but I'm not sure how I'd do it away from my home computer. When I come into my computer room, there is a little thingie in my computer that the fitbit syncs with.

I considered bringing my laptop computer for this reason but I found out I couldn't sync it if it wasn't on and I'm a little leary of leaving my laptop in my cabin when we're out and about.

It syncs to my galaxy s4 through Bluetooth .... but I don't think I sync'd it until we got back to NOLA. I just have the Zip, so you can see the steps anytime you look at it.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

It is great that your son is trying to control his weight. Losing weight is a simple formula , if he burns more calories than he takes in=weight off, same calories in as out=maintain weight, more calories in than out=gain weight. When I cruise I stay away from sweets(most of the time), fried foods, any type of bread. Than I hit the gym almost every day and do cardiovascular exercises at least 40-50 minutes this is a must for weight control. Remember this is a life style change not a diet. Have fun on your cruise!!!!!

Gary

I guess everyone's idea of a vacation is different...

Why would your flex not tell you steps ? If you have a smart phone it all should sync if you installed the app for it.I use myfitnesspal every day for years and they both sync together right on my phone and if I tap my fitbit it blinks and can sort of guess how many steps I have based on how many lights light up

I really do need some words of wisdom.

Go to the gym with him everyday even if for only 30 minutes. Good for both of you. Also don't worry about fats, they are good for you. Guys burgers are fine, toss the bun and fries and eat the burger with a knife and fork. Breakfast should be mostly meats.

For desert in the MDR, the cheese plate really hits the spot.

Keep the proteins high and it will keep him full.

Edited by Rottweiler Puppy

Why would your flex not tell you steps ? If you have a smart phone it all should sync if you installed the app for it.I use myfitnesspal every day for years and they both sync together right on my phone and if I tap my fitbit it blinks and can sort of guess how many steps I have based on how many lights light up

Good to know that the fitbit will sync to mfp on my smart phone (I just installed on my phone the other day). However, I wasn't planning on leaving my phone on in Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Kitts, and St. Maartens because of the high roaming charges.

I'm hoping T-Mobile will let me use my phone with no additional charges in Puerto Rico and in St. Thomas. Does anybody know for sure?

Thanks for all the help!

Good to know that the fitbit will sync to mfp on my smart phone (I just installed on my phone the other day). However, I wasn't planning on leaving my phone on in Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Kitts, and St. Maartens because of the high roaming charges.

I'm hoping T-Mobile will let me use my phone with no additional charges in Puerto Rico and in St. Thomas. Does anybody know for sure?

Thanks for all the help!

All you have to do is put your phone on airplane mode and you can use all the phones features except calling,texts and internet

I hate to say this, but my adolescent son is fairly porky. His doctor and I finally have him on a diet, and he is doing quite well, but it will be a long process.

Wouldn't you know, just when we're really getting started with the diet, a cruise is coming up.

Does anybody have any tips for keeping weight off on a cruise? And remember this is a 12 year old boy who likes food that we're talking about. And he's not especially athletic, so I don't think he's going to be playing pick up basketball.

The only things I can really think of are having him take a lot of steps instead of the elevator and then walking him (and me) to death both on the boat and ashore. Any food recommendations? It will be hard for him to resist Guy's Burgers, so if he sees that, I fear the diet is history.

And does the Steakhouse have anything that is not a calorie-laced cholesterol buster? Similar question with the MDR?

For the first time, a cruise is coming at just the wrong time. I should add that I'd rather not torture the boy.

Thanks in advance folks. I really do need some words of wisdom.

Bad Me and sure I'll get flamed for this ... BUT please do let the child enjoy his cruise. Just starting a diet could be a bit much for him on a cruise. Maybe, you could discuss just eating anything he wished each day ... just not so much of it. Actually, learning to cup back seems to work better for most than giving them up entirely.

LuLu

I'm of the mind to let the young man have at if he's on vacation. One of the perks the kids enjoy lost is having ice cream available 24 hours a day. Let him live it up and explain that the way you eat on vacation is not the norm. I'm all for him eating healthy and having a balanced diet, just seems kinda hard to start that in a vacation environment. Just my two cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums