Help with a new part of the world!!

LuAnn

We love doing T/As and T/Ps...but as you know the ports are pretty much all the same. In the new '16 schedule there is a Quest sailing on May, 1, '16 from Dubai to Athens which includes Petra and the Suez Canal as well as many other ports we have never been to...it is 16 nights and is very reasonable as far as price goes...IMO. I know that many of the AZ CCers are very well traveled...have you been on this "route" and did you enjoy it? My DH has been to Petra and loved it!! Is this a cruise that you have or would enjoy? Is it safe to travel this route? I hate to sound like a "ninny"...but are the pirates in that area at all? Unless it is "Capt' Jack Sparrow I don't really want to meet one...you know!!! :cool: Thanks for any help!!! LuAnn

It's hard to say what will be going on in that part of the world in May 2016! Buy good travel insurance and be aware that your cruise ports may change due to concern for safety of the passengers and the crew. Travel is an adventure.....

Kathy is right - be prepared for possible itinerary changes with a route in this part of the world.

I did a similar itinerary on Crystal a few years ago from Dubai to Athens and it was fabulous. Our ports included stops in Oman, Egypt and Jordan. This is one of my favorite itineraries. We did have armed guards on deck during our transit of unsafe areas, but we never felt in any danger. The Suez Canal transit is a great day. I highly suggest this cruise!

Michael

Kathy is right - be prepared for possible itinerary changes with a route in this part of the world.

I did a similar itinerary on Crystal a few years ago from Dubai to Athens and it was fabulous. Our ports included stops in Oman, Egypt and Jordan. This is one of my favorite itineraries. We did have armed guards on deck during our transit of unsafe areas, but we never felt in any danger. The Suez Canal transit is a great day. I highly suggest this cruise!

Michael

I do appreciate your input as you have already "been there...done that"!! Will certainly give it consideration based on your input! LuAnn

It's hard to say what will be going on in that part of the world in May 2016! Buy good travel insurance and be aware that your cruise ports may change due to concern for safety of the passengers and the crew. Travel is an adventure.....

And of course...you are right...it is a long ways off! LuAnn

Hi LuAnn - We did a similar itinerary in the opposite direction Athens-Dubai on Journey this past Oct/Nov. Some of our ports were different than yours but we went through the Suez Canal and the Gulf of Aden. Our transit through the Suez Canal was fascinating and we spent most of the time outside with binoculars in hand. Lots to see on both sides! Narration from the bridge was broadcast onto the outer decks and into the staterooms.

The Gulf of Aden has been the target of pirate activity in the past, so there were additional security measures (visible and invisible) taken for our 5-nite passage. The outer decks of the ship were closed from 6:00 pm to 6:30 am each nite and all external lights were turned off. Passengers were requested to keep curtains closed and balcony lights off during that time. We also practiced "Operation Safe Haven" early on in the cruise, which essentially involved all passengers moving away from the sides of the ship, out of their rooms and into the corridors. In the end, it was anti-climatic and we passed through without incident.

Bottom line, this is a great itinerary and I'd book the cruise without hesitation.

Hi LuAnn - We did a similar itinerary in the opposite direction Athens-Dubai on Journey this past Oct/Nov. Some of our ports were different than yours but we went through the Suez Canal and the Gulf of Aden. Our transit through the Suez Canal was fascinating and we spent most of the time outside with binoculars in hand. Lots to see on both sides! Narration from the bridge was broadcast onto the outer decks and into the staterooms.

The Gulf of Aden has been the target of pirate activity in the past, so there were additional security measures (visible and invisible) taken for our 5-nite passage. The outer decks of the ship were closed from 6:00 pm to 6:30 am each nite and all external lights were turned off. Passengers were requested to keep curtains closed and balcony lights off during that time. We also practiced "Operation Safe Haven" early on in the cruise, which essentially involved all passengers moving away from the sides of the ship, out of their rooms and into the corridors. In the end, it was anti-climatic and we passed through without incident.

Bottom line, this is a great itinerary and I'd book the cruise without hesitation.

Just did the Journey April 15 Mumbai to Athens. Wonderful. Do it!