Switching Dinner table assignment on Carnival

LuckyZ

We usually travel in a group but my DW and I are going it alone and doing late sitting.

What I worry about is being matched with another couple for dinner that we may not totally get along with but being stuck with them for the week.

What are the policies or possibilities that if this happened, that we can change dinner table companions after the 1st or 2nd day.

Any advice is appreciated.

Edited by LuckyZ

We had that happen on the Freedom- a family of 3 was at our table the first night then must have requested another table or time as we never saw them again- fortunately, they were replaced by a lovely couple traveling with their son.

So far, we've never been placed with anyone we didn't "get along with"...if you go in with the wrong attitude, you are less likely to be satisfied! So, head in to dinner WANTING to meet your tablemates! It will be fine! Everyone has cruising in common from the get-go...and wants to have fun!

If you feel you can't get along with those folks for a couple hours a day, they will move you, or you can eat elsewhere.

You can always email the maître d and request a table for two a couple of weeks out. Or, maybe the opposite and request a large table. Better mix of folks... We are always excited to find out what our table assignment is and try to make the best of it. Worst case, if you really don't like the people you are with, request the maître d switch you to another table. But then again, you may well end up with people you don't like. I think a lot of it has to do with attitude as others have suggested.

My husband and I were just discussing this the other day. We are going on the Pride in a week and it will just be the two of us. We have been seated with other couples on cruises before and it never seems to work out. I feel that it is better to be seated alone or with a large group. There was one time that we were seated with a couple the first night and all the woman did was complain about everything; the rocking of the ship, the price of bingo, the crummy food, blahblahblah, but of course we didn't change our table, actually they did! Every night after that we were sat with different couples, usually they were from first seating and missed (this was years ago when there weren't so many dining options). We actually met quite a few very interesting people. Personally, on this cruise, I would love to be seated with a large group of people, so much more interesting than sitting alone with just the two of us. I love my husband, but it's our 25 year anniversary cruise so we pretty much are talked out! LOL! But if we cant and have to sit with just one other couple, we will just make the best of it!:D

You can request a different table once you get on board if you aren't satisfied. Maybe a table for two or larger table with several couples would work out better. I can definitely understand how sharing a table with only one other couple that you don't hit it off with would be awkward.

Last Carnival cruise we were seated alone and asked first night for a larger table and was seated on one for the rest of the cruise!

I will be doing the same for my June cruise if it happens again! The waiter was a bit upset that we requested a larger table.

We will be with each other 24/7 so the nightly dinner company of others is welcomed even if they are not the best table guests! But once the ice is broken we have never had terrible table companions and it usually gives us much to talk about during the day:D:D:D

We always request a table for two and have been fortunate enough to get it.

We do not enjoy dining with people we do not know....please no flames.....we just prefer our cruise as a way to reconnect and enjoy each other's company.

Must be working for us......we have been together 44 years now......;)

This happened to us a few years ago on the Victory. We were seated with another couple who did not speak English. They seemed very nice, but dinner was awkward without conversation. We spoke to the Maitre'D and he was able to switch us to a different table.

I don't think it's just an "attitude" thing. Sometimes you just don't enjoy some people's company. We personally have only experienced this once or twice. However, we never changed tables. I personally, please don't flame me, think it's polite. We may not have enjoyed the other people's company that much but after a day or two you kind of like just began to talk about what each of you did that day, etc. and make the best of it. That's just my opinion. Once we started cruising with the DS when he was 9, we were always put at a table with other kids his age so that always worked out (except for once) really well.

If you really don't want to sit with other people just request a table for two. But I personally, unless they were truly, truly obnoxious or odious, would not ask to be changed to another table after meeting my tablemates. There is always common ground for conversation even if you and your tablemates don't become the best of friends. Like I said, I've cruised forever and only once or twice did I not really enjoy my tablemates. The odds are on the side that you will like them.

Edited by mousey

One of the first things we do when we get in board is to check the Fun Times to see what time the maitre d' will be in the dining room so we can get a table for 2. My daughter has food issues which makes it very difficult for both us and the server. Not fair to other guests to have to wait to hear what she doesn't want. Also, (and I can't believe it's just me that thinks this!) eating is a very personal thing. I don't like to eat with people I don't know.

I appreciate all the feedback. Don't get me wrong, we love to meet other people and have generally enjoyed their company.

On the other hand, we have sit with other people that we couldn't stand.

For example, once we sat with 2 travel agents that got a free cruise and did nothing but complain about pretty much everything and really made dinner a bad experience. It was to the point where we would eat at the buffet some nights to avoid eating with them. I never thought at that time to ask the maitre DI to switch tables but now I'm the wiser and thought to ask others opinions

My parents and I were placed at a large table with a large extended family who didn't speak English. The next day we asked to be placed at a 4-top and explained we had business to discuss. No problems. From then on we always request one. Changing to YTD helped too

62A3E603-7A66-4F5C-9E63-9AEB6207FF5F_zpsn4khds3g.jpg

We travel as a couple and since the start of Your Time Dining , we've always chosen that option!

We can get a table for 2 every night and if we meet folks whose company we enjoy we can arrange to eat with them.

We can ask for the same wait staff each night if we like them and if we don't we can request a different area.

It has taken away any fear of the large table with folks we don't enjoy or who don't come on time or............

Dining on the ship has become more enjoyable for us this way!!

We always request a table for two and have been fortunate enough to get it.

We do not enjoy dining with people we do not know....please no flames.....we just prefer our cruise as a way to reconnect and enjoy each other's company.

Must be working for us......we have been together 44 years now......;)

We have been married for 44 years and enjoy having a table for two also. Usually we get one, but I go to the maître 'D that first day we board and pled. When he says tomorrow, it usually works out that we are somewhere at a table for two the next day. We have eaten by the kitchen and that turned out to be a great table. We could see the water, and waiters were gong by us all the time. they were all friendly . We never had cold food. Or empty coffee cups. We have eaten smack in the middle of the MDR. Great table. We have eaten on the tables that have chairs on one side and booth seats on the other. Never a bad table.

On Princess.(anytime..time dining _we sit with different people. Every table we sat at..all of the guests stayed a little late over coffee and little petit fours. Many were Canadian., I enjoyed them very, very much.

But alone with my Husband............is always the best. After all of those years, I still think he is as cute...........as he was the day I saw him, one of the Football Coachs of the school I had just been hired at.....standing at a table. I was going to make him mine, and he still rings my bells. I love dining with him. So romantic. silly but true. he still makes me laugh. too

Edited by AmberTeka

We were on Celebrity. The old Zenith. Sitting at a table for four. The other couple was older than us, the man obviously had something wrong with him, his wife was obviously the caretaker, and very concerned about him. They had been married many, many years.

He never had much to say. She even ordered for him a lot. I am the original Chatty Cathy, and tend to talk more in awkward situations..Nerves...so it was never too quiet at our table. My husband does not hear all that well and he is used to it. The wife was lovely. The man, was not bad, just not responsive. I never felt like he was really with us. So Every night, I ran my mouth about what we had done and where we had gone, and I felt stupid. We never requested a move. No way was I going to hurt the lady's feelings and she seemed to like us.

The last night........The man brings a CAMERA. He is taking my picture. The picture of the Servers. He wants one of me with the Server from Jamaica. My favorite waiter. his wife. he tells us how much he enjoyed eating with us.......and wow. Everyone was hugging. The Waiters hugged us. We hugged them. he was smiling........he was with us that night...a real person. His wife was hugging us. It was very emotional for everyone who had been at that table..or served him.

It is a very poignant memory. You never know who you will sit with but I agree..with the posters who say Be Nice to everyone. You never know what is going to happen.

Edited by AmberTeka