Several shorter/less expensive cruises or a "big" one?

Just curious. Seems like most are pretty well traveled here. I've done two cruises so far, a 7-day Western and a 3-day Bahama. I'm trying now to decide if I want to do a few shorter ones in the next couple of years or save up and do one fantastic one while the kids are still all home. Which do you think will leave better memories?

Short cruises are ok in a pinch, but nothing like "one-big-one" if you are looking for a lifelong memory! Our 10 year anniversary 14 night Panama Canal cruise was a trip of a lifetime! We've sailed 9 times since then, but that's the most memorable.

We visit the in-laws in Florida every Christmas and New Years (2 weeks). As a side trip, we take the children with us on a 4 or 5 night cruise, since there are many disembarkment port options. I cannot wait for the cruise when it will just be my husband and I on a luxurious 7-14 days cruise with a balcony, paying about the same as the 2 cabins on the 4-5 nighters now. :)

I think you barely have time to unwind on the shorter cruises. Also, the longer ones, IMO, go to more interesting places, because they have more time to get there.

What's REALLY fun is a back-to-back. Try to find a ship with a change in itinerary and take them both. That's really fun, and you get extra goodies in your cabin for doing the back-to-back.

We visit the in-laws in Florida every Christmas and New Years (2 weeks). As a side trip, we take the children with us on a 4 or 5 night cruise, since there are many disembarkment port options. I cannot wait for the cruise when it will just be my husband and I on a luxurious 7-14 days cruise with a balcony, paying about the same as the 2 cabins on the 4-5 nighters now. :)

JerseyGirl23...I would have to agree...once kids are grown up can do 14 day balcony cruise for price of 7 day inside cabin cruise....you must live near me...

I would do one long cruise. I've done two 7-nights and one 3-night. By the time we flew to Miami and back home, we never seemed to unwind enough. I relax more on a longer cruise since I don't have to worry about packing up about the time I finish unpacking. Can't wait for Oct so I can see how a 12-night is.

Archived